The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Wish I could play. Waiting for CS to help. Until then...

Qutlaw
Qutlaw
Soul Shriven
I really wish I could play. I've made my purchase (and hope I chose right) and plan to subscribe. But until Customer Support fixes my issue, I can only come here to read articles and maybe make a few friends. So, if anyone is looking for a total-noob to play with, or chastise, I am yer guy. It only took 6 1/2 days to get forum access, so I am going to make the most of it.

For starters, if YOU were 98% new to ESO (I did play the beta) - which guides would you want to read first? I am sure to be overwhelmed, so any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. I have not even picked a class/race yet, but I was thinking something along the lines of an archer / ranged class, or perhaps something a bit more up-close. I played a rogue in WOW for many years, and that was my favorite class.

What would be your suggestions for either of those two careers?

I do consider myself a helpful type, so should anyone else need help, and I can provide it, you need only ask.

Anyway, that is my spiel, for now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Now Streaming ESO Live on Twitch/Qutlaw
Find me on Twitter @ QutlawGaming or join me on Discord @ Qutlaw's Den
88% Noob [verified] / 11% Funny / 1% The other white meat.
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Dottz Gaming, not only does he do very good builds, but also very good guides. His starter guides are very helpful. He has a website https://dottzgaming.com/ and also on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC17JqasQTgqPhV6ZeSqHexQ.
  • Qutlaw
    Qutlaw
    Soul Shriven
    I like Dottz Gaming, not only does he do very good builds, but also very good guides. His starter guides are very helpful. He has a website https://dottzgaming.com/ and also on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC17JqasQTgqPhV6ZeSqHexQ.

Thank you very much for this, I will definitely check it out.
    I really appreciate the heads-up.

Planning to stream my adventures on my Twitch channel now that I can get online and start playing.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    WoW Rogue here as well. :D

Nightblade (Stamina Nightblade has benefits) could work for you but be warned it is somewhat of an "advanced" class that requires technique and strategy -- but as a former rogue you are already prepared for this. Last I knew "Stamblade" was still #1 or #2 in DPS.

Dual Wield daggers with mix-and-match skills from Shadow, Assassination and Siphoning is good. Siphoning eventually will become a moot point as you gain the superb healing skill "Vigor" ("Resolving Vigor" morph) from the "Assault" skill line (PvP) and perhaps "Bone Shield" ("Spiked Bone Shield" morph) from the "Undaunted" skill line -- those two skills alone will give you some "sustain" when you are up close and personal.

Level ALL skill lines to 50 -- those that you expect to use actively or passively -- (check all passive skills), and acquire TWO full armor sets for the full bonuses (I think Monster shoulders and helm are vastly overrated) and pick a third set for Dual Wield or Two Hand or Bow weapons which will supply another bonus for just two items. (Two Hand and Bow count as two weapons.)

I also highly recommend Night Silence (medium armor) as one of the full sets because of:

-- > (5 items) Ignore the Movement Speed penalty of Sneak. This will cause you to run (not sprint) at normal speed while stealthed and makes Nightblade quality-of-life truly wonderful. Such a delight to move at normal speed while stealthed!

For ranged attack, use Bow because 1) it is fun and 2) there are some bosses you do NOT want to get close to. It's great to have melee on your "front bar" and ranged on the "back bar."

One additional thing, for both PvE and PvP, Nightblades need to use POISON -- either actual poisons or, more conveniently, by Poison Glyph on your weapons. Bow attacks primarily are poison-based anyway... :D

Why Dual Wield? Extremely high crit chance (50% to 70% crit chance) (use Mundus Stone "The Thief) adds 50% more damage per crit hit -- and your big opener (Veiled Strike --> Silent Attack morph) crits HUGELY from stealth.

(By the way, "Whirling Blade" from the Dual Wield skill line simply mows down groups of mobs and CRITS 100% damage when they are below 50% health. And from stealth will usually outright one-shot KILL one mob in a group of three.)

Even if you are a Stamblade, you will still use Shadow Cloak (morphs to --> Shadowy Disguise to guarantee a massive crit hit) even though it is a Magicka skill because you will still have the ability to use the "cloak" (total invisibility) about four times even with a miniscule Magicka pool.
    ~~~
    (Also note -- there is a passive that increases stun-from-stealth by 100%.)

As you already know, the "Rogue" (Nightblade in ESO parlance) can be a challenging but really FUN class to play!
    ~~~
    For "easy mode" perhaps make a Magicka Templar with Aedric Spear on the front bar (nice damage, mostly melee or "shorter" range 22-meter attacks. Make the back bar for healing because it will get you into dungeons almost instantly (seriously) and is super useful. A great change of pace from Nightblade work. :D

Yours poisonously,
    Ivy Goldblade, PS4 NA
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Qutlaw
    Qutlaw
    Soul Shriven
    WoW Rogue here as well. :D

Yours poisonously,
    Ivy Goldblade, PS4 NA

Outstanding information, and I really (truly) appreciate the info from a fellow (lass?) Rogue from that "other" universe. Much of the terminology will be something I need to learn over-time but overall is not lost on me entirely. I can't wait to get into it, and learn these things and am looking forward to ESO. I am sure I will make many mistakes along the way, and assume (hopeful) that I can undo those mistakes by a re-spec at some point (if that is a thing here).

I am trying out a few characters, and will settle in soon, hopefully. All your info is going to help.

In the beginner area, I did not see anything other than 2H axes, and then some 1H swords, and that is what I am using now. But then again, I only got so far as the spider before I had to take off for some real-world stuff. I expect to get a lot further today.

Thanks so much!

If anyone needs a friend in game, feel free to add me. I'll figure out how to accept I am sure. I am planning to stream my screw-ups, not just the good stuff. Heh.

See ya out there! (Or by the sounds of it, I won't see ya comin')

Qutlaw
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when WoW took away my 40-meter Teleport Strike and my Shurikens. Never felt the same about WoW and have always felt they gutted my Rogue.

Not playing WoW anymore -- here we have our teleport strike and two ranged thrown-blade attacks.

I am happy again. Also, I play in the "comfy chair" dragged in front of the widescreen TV with High Dynamic Range color and Bose sound bar. And, use of a controller to play is just so much more intuitive than a keyboard (and I am a good typist).

So like -- why would I ever go back to WoW? :o
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"