The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can we get more magicka based weapons?

Mobius0
Mobius0
✭✭✭
Either make all weapons' damage based in your primary stat, or add new weapons please?

Why does every magicka character have to be shoe horned into using a staff? Especially us melee magicka players feel this way!

The first suggestion would be the easiest, since designing new skill lines isn't exactly easy. And I'm not even asking for the skills to also be magicka based, though if there were some magicka morphs that would be pretty cool! But simply having light/heavy attacks scale off of magicka would be super duper awesome.

But hey, if you want to add a melee magicka weapon skill line, that would be pretty sweet too! Claws perhaps? :D
  • jamesterj14
    jamesterj14
    ✭✭✭
    Know that a "one hand and rune" weapon line has been brought up a lot. I imagine that something will be added in the future, whether it is a redesign of current system or a new weapon line though i'm not sure, sure either would be great :)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want One Hand and Rune. Also an Alteration staff geared for tanking so Ice staff can do proper DPS.
  • jamesterj14
    jamesterj14
    ✭✭✭
    I want One Hand and Rune. Also an Alteration staff geared for tanking so Ice staff can do proper DPS.

alteration staff sounds cool, buffs like stone/oakflesh and could even have some sort of "mass paralysis" ulti.
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭

This sounds good to me.

Though I do also really wish they would just make L/H attacks scale off of primary stat! It would be such an easy way for them to increase build diversity, and I can't really think of any balance issues this would cause.
  • Lone343Wolf
    I also agree, I think a melee magicka weapon skill line needs to be added. It would give more variety and it just makes sense with spell-swords.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on everything in this thread.

I also really just wanna be able to use fire, lightning, or ice staves without nerfing my own build.

Necro's also wouldn't look so out of place with so much fire, or MagSorcs with a lot of lightning skills.

That, or at least let me be able to "dye" all flame effects blue or something.

Yes. It's only cosmetic but we all know what the true endgame here is, right? :p

Good 'ol QOL, ZoS ;)
    @ZOS_GinaBruno canwehazplease?
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they did add new types, they would have to go back and add them to every loot pool in the game. We all know that would literally break the game and then some.
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    How about bound weapons like in Skyrim, they use the same skills but deal mag damage? Or something like that idk
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crazier idea: one damage stat and one crit stat so you can do whatever you want without having to skirt around terrible balance changes that harm melee mag and hybrid builds most every single major patch.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

^ This
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about a magicka weapon whose skills involve making npc enemies fight alongside you and buffing them and using them for sacrifices.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One Hand and Rune, already exists in the game files, and is already used by NPCs:
    48870236976_f010214f4a_o.png

Would re-use all existing weapon models in the game, so very light on workload to implement properly among all existing sets and style motifs (unlike spears for example). Just add "runes" or something along a similar name to the drop pool for items, which are just a spell effect for your off-hand (fire, frost, or lightning, to mirror staffs). Skills in the weapon line, like staff skills, change element based on the equipped rune.

Example skills:
    Flames/Sparks/Frostbite - like the Skyrim starter spells, a gout of elemental damage that deals damage in front of you every half second for 3 seconds. Channelled spell.
    • Morph 1 - Increase the damage and reduce the cost
    • Morph 2 - Increase the range and radius to affect a larger conal area in front of you.
    Engulf Weapon - enhance your weapon to deal an additional X flame/frost/shock damage with light attacks, and Y flame/frost/shock damage with heavy attacks, and grants Major Sorcery. Lasts 20 seconds.
    • Morph 1 - Increase the duration to 30 seconds, and every successful light attack reduces your damage taken by 2%, stacking up to 5 times.
    • Morph 2 - Increase the damage of the heavy attack, and your heavy attacks now launch a medium range blast of flame/frost/shock damage in your direction of facing, damaging all enemies caught in its wake.
    Flame/Frost/Shock Grasp - Close range spell that causes X flame/frost/shock damage and an additional Y flame/frost/shock damage over 10 seconds.
    • Morph 1 - Increases the direct damage portion of the spell, and it now affects all targets in front of you.
    • Morph 2 - Increases the damage over time portion of the spell and afflicts target with minor vulnerability for the duration, increasing all damage they receive by 8%.
    latest?cb=20180215135013
    flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
    098860f0badb89f1cbf4da4270ce9d5a--fantasy-characters-rpg-character-art.jpg
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobius0 wrote: »
    Either make all weapons' damage based in your primary stat, or add new weapons please?

Why does every magicka character have to be shoe horned into using a staff? Especially us melee magicka players feel this way!

The first suggestion would be the easiest, since designing new skill lines isn't exactly easy. And I'm not even asking for the skills to also be magicka based, though if there were some magicka morphs that would be pretty cool! But simply having light/heavy attacks scale off of magicka would be super duper awesome.

But hey, if you want to add a melee magicka weapon skill line, that would be pretty sweet too! Claws perhaps? :D

Having weapons scale off your max resource would be BAD. One of the reasons I run a staff on my back bar for my tank is to be able to use a heavy to restore magicka while my front bar heavies restore stamina. I don't often have to use a back bar heavy...but when I need it I need it(usually when my health is too low to risk balance and I am trying to heal back up enough to pick someone up off the ground).

I do agree though that there needs to be some type of balance between magicka and stamina weapons...but please dont make me carry around a rune....an open hand would be preferable to that.
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of several ways to easily circumvent that kind of issue.

A simple one would be to make a passive skill that converts it, for 1 SP. Or some NPC you can talk to. Or simply a toggle of some sort.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    One Hand and Rune, already exists in the game files, and is already used by NPCs:
    48870236976_f010214f4a_o.png

Would re-use all existing weapon models in the game, so very light on workload to implement properly among all existing sets and style motifs (unlike spears for example). Just add "runes" or something along a similar name to the drop pool for items, which are just a spell effect for your off-hand (fire, frost, or lightning, to mirror staffs). Skills in the weapon line, like staff skills, change element based on the equipped rune.

Example skills:
    Flames/Sparks/Frostbite - like the Skyrim starter spells, a gout of elemental damage that deals damage in front of you every half second for 3 seconds. Channelled spell.
    • Morph 1 - Increase the damage and reduce the cost
    • Morph 2 - Increase the range and radius to affect a larger conal area in front of you.
    Engulf Weapon - enhance your weapon to deal an additional X flame/frost/shock damage with light attacks, and Y flame/frost/shock damage with heavy attacks, and grants Major Sorcery. Lasts 20 seconds.
    • Morph 1 - Increase the duration to 30 seconds, and every successful light attack reduces your damage taken by 2%, stacking up to 5 times.
    • Morph 2 - Increase the damage of the heavy attack, and your heavy attacks now launch a medium range blast of flame/frost/shock damage in your direction of facing, damaging all enemies caught in its wake.
    Flame/Frost/Shock Grasp - Close range spell that causes X flame/frost/shock damage and an additional Y flame/frost/shock damage over 10 seconds.
    • Morph 1 - Increases the direct damage portion of the spell, and it now affects all targets in front of you.
    • Morph 2 - Increases the damage over time portion of the spell and afflicts target with minor vulnerability for the duration, increasing all damage they receive by 8%.
    latest?cb=20180215135013
    flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
    098860f0badb89f1cbf4da4270ce9d5a--fantasy-characters-rpg-character-art.jpg

Very cool ideas! It would indeed not take up many resources. One handed weapons can remain the same, and when a rune is equipped as off hand, the effects change, and maybe the weapon gets a visual elemental effect. I like the skills you suggest. I'd also add a ranged attack with the rune and a ward maybe. Ezpz
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More magic weapon lines would go a far way to make some weaker magicka classes stronger. Until this is done then you can expect the same problem for EVERY new class and that is: stamina version is strong, the magic version is weak. That is because if the classes offensive abilities suck (like warden and necros did) then stamina can easily turn to DW, 1H, 2H or Bow to fill out the bar and it's strong... but magic has to rely on just Destro which usually leads to a disadvantage and also makes it hard to balance because how do you make magic builds stronger without making stamina ones OP.

Giving us more magic weapon lines would do that. I also love the idea, and always have, of an Alteration Staff being introduced as a real tanking weapon and ice going back to being dps.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the approach is as predicted, ie AOE abilities are significantly reduced in number, perhaps ZOS could changed them out in Destro Staff and Class Skill lines with some decent melee based spammable attacks with appropriate kinetic visuals.

I believe decking an enemy with 6ft of magical oak would be very satisfying!

The Archchancellor polished his staff as he walked along. It was a particularly good one, six feet long and quite magical. Not that he used magic very much. In his experience, anything that couldn’t be disposed of with a couple of whacks from six feet of oak was probably immune to magic as well
    . Terry Pratchett