The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Max hp vs mitigation vs health recovery what is the best?

Maxdevil
Maxdevil
✭✭✭
What is the best in your opinion between max hp,health recovery or mitigation(resistance,major or minor protection, raw mitigation like potentate set) to be tanky ?
"Maxdevil knows much, and tells some. Maxdevil knows many things others do not."
Pc-Na
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE or PvP? CP or NoCP?

PVE - Cap resistances is first priority, Max HP second, mitigation and health recovery is a bonus.

PVP - More complicated, you want to min-max everything. Max HP good vs burst, health recovery good vs pressure. If your class have heals based on HP, Max HP value is even greater. In no CP, mitigation is probably > resistances if your have like 25k+ resistances naturally from heavy armor. If your build is a prema block build, mitigation is not as good.

• raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From NO CP perspective;

1. You need enough effective HP (max HP + resistance factor) to avoid burst windows.
    2. From there invest into being able to recover from burst (healing or hp regen)

Max health and resistance are interconnected. But in general, it is better to increase effective HP with resistance than max HP because having more effective HP makes your heals more powerful.

If you do not understand the concept of effective HP i think you can google it maybe.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE or PvP? CP or NoCP?

PVE - Cap resistances is first priority, Max HP second, mitigation and health recovery is a bonus.

PVP - More complicated, you want to min-max everything. Max HP good vs burst, health recovery good vs pressure. If your class have heals based on HP, Max HP value is even greater. In no CP, mitigation is probably > resistances if your have like 25k+ resistances naturally from heavy armor. If your build is a prema block build, mitigation is not as good.

I mean... he posted this is the pvp section.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the more detailed post.

It really really depends on your build.

Max health is massive on say a health sorc (dunno if the build is still viable havemt tried in a long time)
    Regen seems to be popular from what ive read, old school regenerator type builds were all about this.
    Reaistance; last time I pvped was the least viable option as penetration and cost effeciency wasn't usually there - not that it is something to ignore just not something to focus primarily on

Theres been quite a few changes so I could be off
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    PVE or PvP? CP or NoCP?

I mean... he posted this is the pvp section.

True, my bad. Gave an answer regardless...
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance is best. Health recovery is certainly last on the list imo.
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭

Nah, resist cap is too big of an investment in PVE. Non-nord tanks usually have 25-26k resists because they use 3 support sets (or 1 sustain monster set) and use their CPs for mitigation instead of spell shield/heavy armor focus
    Edited by Saubon on August 11, 2020 5:30AM
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It completely depends on your class, skills, and build. More info is needed.
  • Maxdevil
    Maxdevil
    ✭✭✭
    It was a general question but I guess it is not
    "Maxdevil knows much, and tells some. Maxdevil knows many things others do not."
    Pc-Na
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitigation in general is more effective, health regen won't save you if you get hit by a cordinated ulti bomb for example, you will die before a single health regen ticks even goes through.

If you play solo, health regen can be VERY effective, because it will put you out of execute range really quick and is basically free healing that cost no mag/stam, in top of your HoTs like Vigor. Healt regen builds benefit from high HP since most of the sets used for those type of builds trigger with a below-50% hp treeshold, so they bigger is the 50% left, the more time the health regen has time to tick before you get killed.

It depends on the situation. If you are playing solo health regen works great, if you are playing in group (small or large scale) mitigation is usually better. Also keep in mind that the playstyle is very different in both cases, health regen usually comes with a kite playstye because you want to avoid damage and give time to your regen to do his job. With a mitigation build you can take a lot more heat, that's why is usually better for group play, you dont want to be kiting and running while your friends are getting smack.
    Edited by ManDraKE on August 14, 2020 4:37PM
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    As ManDraKE said it's situational and depends on class.
    As every defense style could work on each class, some just have passives/skills that benefits 1 defensive style more.

On Stamsorc I prefer high health reg builds, it's a fast get in and out playstyle. I take more dmg but when I los, I can recover very quickly.

Necro is literally designed for high mitigation builds.
    I can stand longer under pressure, but my heal power is less and it needs more time to recover when I need to Los compared to my sorc.

But I have to disagree that a kiting playstyle isn't good in group play, u don't have to kite threw hole cyrodiil :D when. U are in a 6vs6 and u manage 3 ppl via kiting its a 5vs3 for ur team ;}
    In a zerg vs zerg I agree that this kind of style don't bring your group much.
    Edited by Mortiis13 on August 19, 2020 6:07PM