The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New Idea: Rent a home

santhoranb16_ESO
santhoranb16_ESO
✭✭✭
ESO has by now more then 20+ time-exclusive homes that are/were only buyable for short periods of time (and then only with crowns, not gold), that it would be a great change imo if you could rent those older timed-exclusives for a weekly gold fee.
First it would serve as an additional gold sink, second it would open broader access to these old-gone homes and third it would make players able to get those pretty crown exclusives homes for gold too. And if they like it and want to get rid of the weekly fee, they might could even buy-out the home with crowns after a set-period of time.

It should include of course that if you stop paying the rent, you dont lose the furniture or your hard decorating work, you just cant access it anymore till you pay again (like on losing acess to DLC with eso+ runs out).

The price would be of course something notable, that you cannot rent many Manor homes at once and those from the recent year are excluded , maybe even last two years , that ZOS has still time to sell em for crowns.

New Idea: Rent a home 46 votes

Yes, let us rent old time exclusive homes for gold !
34%
Nestorsanthoranb16_ESOTaleof2CitiesJeffrey530Easily_LostoSemajwhoathereSilverIce58Seminolegirl1992QaghMagicalLijaRed_Featherscorpius2k1ATomiX69PizzaCat82Berchelous 16 votes
No, i think they should stay "exclusive" for crowns.
43%
theskymovesBlueRavenNeoXanthusTandorParasaurolophusSarannahKatahdinLadyNalcaryaSpiderKnightRunefangTheImperfectTommy_The_GunLadislaoMegattovolkeswagonArchangelIsrapheljoergingerWyrd88MunkfistBlackTearsOfHope 20 votes
Other
21%
RedTalontechnohicdaemoniosLettigallricho262AcadianPaladinDanel_VadanOlumoGarbagRecentamapola76 10 votes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one who abhors limited time offers, as it is a blatant psychological manipulation of people and not a straightforward transaction where someone can plan for the purchase, this sounds good to me as a way to keep the house available after the arbitrary limited time offer stage.

Couple of Questions:

1. What would happen to any furnishings placed there when the player stopped paying rent?
    2. Would the homes be furnished or not on rental, if furnished, how is the furniture going to be handled? It needs to be Bound to the House if you think about it. That would create an even larger database of items.
    3. What would happen if someone needs or wants or has to stay away from the game for a while?
    4. Would the rental fee have any impact on the final price of the home?

Edited by Nestor on August 7, 2020 10:28PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    NM
    Edited by RedTalon on August 7, 2020 10:40PM
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay how would this work? Would it just pull the gold automatically from your account? What happens to furnishing if the lease expires?

Also those homes usually make a return now and again but that's beside the point of this post.
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    1. The furnishings stay in place , the home just "freezes" in place and you cannot enter it until you pay the gold rent again. As soon as you pay the rent again it comes back out of the "idle" mode as nothing has changed till you last left it.
    2. The homes come unfurnished like all Gold-bought homes.
    3. Nothing happens if you stay away and dont pay rent, see 1. - when you're back and pay the gold rent again its all like you had never left.
    4. Thats up for ZOS to say i guess what crown price it should have to "buy" it out, but a discount like for some returning homes they already made could might be offered as an incentive to switch from rent to owning the home.
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Okay how would this work? Would it just pull the gold automatically from your account? What happens to furnishing if the lease expires?
    Its charges from the deposited gold in your bank, if there isnt enough gold in the bank, the rent automatically stops.

In the homes you can also stop the rent manually, it ends then with the next due would happen.

(The furnishings i wrote earlier about - it just freezes them in place till you unlock the home again).
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I think it's a really cute idea but voted other and here is why: I can't see the logistics of this working when i compare it to the 5 years plus eso model. What you are proposing is not within the boundaries of how zos does things.

Still I absolutely admire your idea. I myself have wanted to be able to sell houses i bought years ago that i no longer use . I would love to rent tjose places out for cheap to other player s that cant afford to buy a house...heck i'd evrn gift them to other players 😊😊😊😊But sadly i know zos don't operate like this. They need to entice players to buy houses to make money to create more game content, pay their staff, rent etc
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 1st I liked the idea, but then I realised that... ESO+ Exclusive houses... On top of paying for it with Crowns you have to be pay ESO+ subscriber (rental tax ?)... nuff said...

It was always like this. Every time players ask for something, they got a twisted and disgusting version of it. More furniture slots ? Boom ESO+ feature. More bank / inventory space ? Boom. Craft Bag & inventory pets. Or when players wanted to have account wide Skyshards ? Boom Skyshards in crown store...

So, yes, OP idea is nice, but ZOS has a history of monetising everything everywhere...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on August 7, 2020 11:40PM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone play everquest 2. We had homes to rent in that. A weekly gold upkeep.
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone play everquest 2. We had homes to rent in that. A weekly gold upkeep.

Yep remember my house at number 2 Walk Of The Dead :)

EQ2 had an amazing housing system and easy ways to rent with Gold/Status

Be safe
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Recent wrote: »
    I think it's a really cute idea but voted other and here is why: I can't see the logistics of this working when i compare it to the 5 years plus eso model. What you are proposing is not within the boundaries of how zos does things.

Still I absolutely admire your idea. I myself have wanted to be able to sell houses i bought years ago that i no longer use . I would love to rent tjose places out for cheap to other player s that cant afford to buy a house...heck i'd evrn gift them to other players 😊😊😊😊But sadly i know zos don't operate like this. They need to entice players to buy houses to make money to create more game content, pay their staff, rent etc

The fact is, soon their exclusive homes will be so many, they cant bring em all back in reasonable time frames.
    So most times they'll be dead-weight. The work with designing, code and so on is all done on each home already, so no extra has to be made - once the system of renting is implemented (which would be code wise an entry allowance+ a gold retrieving from your bank if you rent). It shouldnt be to much work to make one more option besides preview home - rent home as additional option.

With renting it could be brought to a large broader audience.
    The homes would not be "lost" 95%+ of time.
    It serves as gold sink.
    In encourages maybe some to buy out their home (money for zos).
    Or to buy furniture from crown store (money for zos).

So all sides win.

The database would get larger for the homes as more homes would store data, but the home database shouldnt make troubles for ZOS as its not a time-sensitive data which requires quick reaction times like stats and skills in pvp.

• PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't get putting crown store homes behind a limited time offer. I hear you can beg a customer service rep to sell you them if you're lucky, but for the older ones it really doesn't make sense. No one's gonna be sad that their grotto, pvp arena, or mountainside estate is less rare as long as everyone pays the same crowns.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, make evictions part of the justice system. o:)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I like limited time offers. Just like I like crate / gem only items. Both advertising tactics save me a TON of money that I might actually spend if the items were offered straight up for sale on MY timeline.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like limited time offers. Just like I like crate / gem only items. Both advertising tactics save me a TON of money that I might actually spend if the items were offered straight up for sale on MY timeline.

Sarcasm?
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Probably many do really never buy such homes, cause if you visit from a pure rational/logical view point it makes no sense to buy such a high priced digital home and just have such a short time frame. Which is why its dead content for most time AND most users.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Edit: Thought you meant rent from players.
    Edited by technohic on August 8, 2020 3:12PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never be a fan of any kind of rental system in any game after horrible experiences in other games with such systems. The rental fee would probably be grossly overpriced too. No thank you, I'd rather buy a large house each year with crowns I put by than do this!
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing is a huge money maker for ZoS so them offering in-game gold as an option to "rent" housing over actual monetization from people buying them with cash would be a loss to their bottom line. This is a clever idea and I like it but would likely never be a thing though because of the aforementioned.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on August 8, 2020 3:05PM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never be a fan of any kind of rental system in any game after horrible experiences in other games with such systems. The rental fee would probably be grossly overpriced too. No thank you, I'd rather buy a large house each year with crowns I put by than do this!

Well the option to buy would not be removed, just the exclusivity to them would be taken away so a broader playerbase can access those home. Besides the fact that you rarely (means just some days) can buy them at all, rest of the time they are just dead-content thats designed but not available.
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Neither renting (gross!) nor exclusives: add houses to in game achievement rewards, like motif pages. People who have a solid group can farm for the house, while those with disposable income can buy it.
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime you can just join a large guild and visit the homes of those that own the ones you like who made them their primary residence. You can find them easier by sorting the roster by location. And the best part...it's free. If you feel the need to decorate then make friends with guildie to get decorator privileges.
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In the meantime you can just join a large guild and visit the homes of those that own the ones you like who made them their primary residence. You can find them easier by sorting the roster by location. And the best part...it's free. If you feel the need to decorate then make friends with guildie to get decorator privileges.

Its anyway free to preview homes too, the point is to decorate your own home, and btw decorator privileges isnt...well not worth its name - you cant place things, you cant remove, you can move it little bit up and down thats all.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Nestor wrote: »
    As one who abhors limited time offers, as it is a blatant psychological manipulation of people and not a straightforward transaction where someone can plan for the purchase, this sounds good to me as a way to keep the house available after the arbitrary limited time offer stage.

Couple of Questions:

1. What would happen to any furnishings placed there when the player stopped paying rent?
    2. Would the homes be furnished or not on rental, if furnished, how is the furniture going to be handled? It needs to be Bound to the House if you think about it. That would create an even larger database of items.
    3. What would happen if someone needs or wants or has to stay away from the game for a while?
    4. Would the rental fee have any impact on the final price of the home?

1. Eviction notice. You can enter the house but you automatically get booted from instance, 2 minute timer. You have 2 minutes to gather your stuff and bugger off or pay up. You cannot add or interact with items in the house other than withdrawing them.
    2. I'd say no.
    3. I'd say, it should pull $$ directly from gold in bank, however if player does not log in for a period of more than 1 month the rent freezes.
    4. Not if its crowns.

Better scenario would be, have houses giftable via crowns.