The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I have destruction staff equipped but don't use the abilities. Should I still take some passives?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The subject pretty much says it all. I have a destruction staff equipped but I am not using any of the abilities in my rotation. Will I still benefit from taking some of the passives?
Edited by SilverBride on August 4, 2020 5:58PM
PCNA
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Elemental Force and Ancient knowledge buff all of your attacks just for having the staff equipped. Tri Focus buffs heavy attacks, and I think Penetrating Magic and Destruction Expert affect light and heavy attacks (although I'm not 100% sure).
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep :) They often also benefit your class or whatever skills - Make sure to read the tooltips, so you don't accidentally slot a passive ice-staff taunt if you don't want one ;)
    Edited by InaMoonlight on August 4, 2020 7:06PM
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. But I would suggest at least using blockade in your rotation.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely skip some of them.

The passive that gives Penetration and the Magicka-on-kill abilities come to mind as neither of those will be useful to you in a single-target boss fight when you're already at the Penetration cap.

Also the Ice Staff taunt if you're not a tank and use an Ice Staff.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I should either not take the Ice Staff taunt passive, or if I do just make sure I don't use an Ice Staff. That is very good to know. The last thing I want is to taunt!
    PCNA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the following
    • Tri Focus ((Unless you use an ice staff and are not a tank))
    • Elemental Force
    • Ancient Knowledge
    • (Edit) Adding Destruction Expert on here since I just realized it also restores magicka on weapon attacks. You land the killing blow with a Light or Heavy Attack and it'll restore 3,600 magicka.

Penetrating Magic only effects Destruction staff abilities, but it can be very powerful since it ignores 10% of a target's spell resistance. This makes it very powerful against enemies with lots of resistances like other players.
    Edited by Vevvev on August 4, 2020 8:41PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    I'd take the following
    • Tri Focus ((Unless you use an ice staff and are not a tank))
    • Elemental Force
    • Ancient Knowledge
    • (Edit) Adding Destruction Expert on here since I just realized it also restores magicka on weapon attacks. You land the killing blow with a Light or Heavy Attack and it'll restore 3,600 magicka.

This is what I chose to go with. I did take Tri Focus but will be sure not to equip an ice staff. I prefer fire anyway.

Thanks to all for the great advice!
    PCNA