The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blazing shield

Mrtoobyy
Mrtoobyy
✭✭✭✭
So I wanted to ask you guys, is there anyone using this ability in a non tank/high health build in pvp?
Is it just me or is the cost for this ability way too high?
Or is it that it scales with health that is the problem?

It seems that other classes shields are way more potent that this.
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. And on top of that, It's been years since I saw anyone use it on any build in PVP, tank or not.

I guess you can get some marginal use out of it in PVE if you build for it, but that's about it.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Murkmire was the official end of Blazing Shield builds, @Mrtoobyy, when ZOS debuted the damage shield rework.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 3, 2020 9:54PM
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrtoobyy wrote: »
    So I wanted to ask you guys, is there anyone using this ability in a non tank/high health build in pvp?

i tried several versions of a blazing shield build a few weeks ago, nothing worked well, they just nerfed it too hard, sad times man. Here's one of the builds I tried: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=259856

KristoferESO has a decent stamina blazing shield build on YT though. For magicka its basically 100% dead unless you have like 55k+ hp.
    Edited by Akinos on August 4, 2020 1:02AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok it's nice to see that it is not ju st me... I've been playing since launch but got into PVP for real last year, too bad I didn't before Murkmire then :/ Would be cool to have a non tank build utilising the shield.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ability should be reworked.

Health base heal would be nice start.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be buffed by a fair amount rather then a complete redesign
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t used it in close to 5 years. It’s worthless.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, 5 years ago or so; it was the templar identity. Blanket shield nerfs made it unusable outside of stacking health while other shields still were fine and stacked. Then they reduced the max shield values even further, pretty much removed stacking shields outside of sorc, and that was the end. I have not seen one in a couple years.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be fine as a tank shield if it weren't redundant with Bone Shield and Defensive Posture. Unfortunately, because those skills exist, it doesn't really add anything. I suppose the fact that it costs Mag instead of Stam distinguishes it a little, but in most cases that works against it rather than for it.
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't remind me. My blazing Templar is still crying and thinking of the good old days :cry:
    TherealHämähäkki
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Spear need some love, it's borderline useless.

But we can't except any significant skill changes until ZOS concludes their AOE tests and decides what to do next. The fate of many, many skills will be determined by that.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Spear need some love, it's borderline useless.

But we can't except any significant skill changes until ZOS concludes their AOE tests and decides what to do next. The fate of many, many skills will be determined by that.

I really hope they will give it some love eventually. It's such a characteristic shield. I love the idea behind the both morphs.
  • Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭
    I think KristoperESO, Jack Daniels, whatever you want to call him, did a build using the skill recently and it's up on youtube. But that guy is a master at playing odd builds.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyteshade wrote: »
    I think KristoperESO, Jack Daniels, whatever you want to call him, did a build using the skill recently and it's up on youtube. But that guy is a master at playing odd builds.

But even he admits his blazing shield build is not the best and isn't great solo. For a dude who usually proficiently 1vXs to demonstrate builds, the fact that the blazing shield build needed these qualifiers isn't a great sign. I think he basically showed that, if you invest your entire build into it, you can make blazing shield functional. That shouldn't be the threshold for skill functionality.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been begging ZOS to make a morph usable for low-hp mag characters. I still try to use Radiant Ward sometimes for the minor protection. The shield pops in less than 2 seconds, usually. Let's face it - the Templar class is filled with bad passive and skills that will never be fixed because puncturing sweeps/biting jabs have been able to keep the class competitive. As long as the class is competitive, it'll never be improved.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to drop this here because it's related:
    My asks don't change much:

1. Sun Shield - The Radiant Ward morph needs to have the cost reduced significantly. Reason: Magplars should have a class shield that they can use and is unique to them. "Tankplars" don't fully benefit from this morph anyway unless they have high spell damage (because it does damage on activation). It's better fitting for Magplars even though the shield scale is smaller because of a lower health pool. Still, I want to use my class shield!

2. Hasty Prayer should be a selfish heal, grant minor expedition, and have its cost reduced by half. Reason: Templars need a selfish heal (all of their heals can affect other players) and they lack mobility. This won't fix the mobility issue completely but it's better than nothing. (Update: make it a HOT)

3. Vampire's Bane needs a buff. Reason: It got nerfed when ZOS adjusted all DoTs but this was important for Magplars and their class identity.

4. Solar Barrage needs a buff. Reason: Same as with Vampire's Bane, it could use a buff.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. Sun Shield - The Radiant Ward morph needs to have the cost reduced significantly. Reason: Magplars should have a class shield that they can use and is unique to them. "Tankplars" don't fully benefit from this morph anyway unless they have high spell damage (because it does damage on activation). It's better fitting for Magplars even though the shield scale is smaller because of a lower health pool. Still, I want to use my class shield!

2. Hasty Prayer should be a selfish heal, grant minor expedition, and have its cost reduced by half. Reason: Templars need a selfish heal (all of their heals can affect other players) and they lack mobility. This won't fix the mobility issue completely but it's better than nothing. (Update: make it a HOT)

3. Vampire's Bane needs a buff. Reason: It got nerfed when ZOS adjusted all DoTs but this was important for Magplars and their class identity.

4. Solar Barrage needs a buff. Reason: Same as with Vampire's Bane, it could use a buff.

I really dont know what theyre doing with Healing Ritual, 10 meter range for such a weak heal, warden spores heals for the same as ritual on pts, and costs about 1k less magicka and has better range.

Sun shield is also pretty much a dead skill apart from maybe a few pve tanks using it, and both morphs are basically pointless as tanks dont care about damage anyway.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blazing shield should cost 420 magicka per activation
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are a disaster
  • fullheartcontainer
    fullheartcontainer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Shield was viable once but the combat devs hated it so they nerfed it till it was dead and then when no one had used it for three years they nerfed it again just to be sure
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Shield was viable once but the combat devs hated it so they nerfed it till it was dead and then when no one had used it for three years they nerfed it again just to be sure
    Lmao this made me laugh for real :D

But seriously though, why all the hate zos? It was never op. Just make it usable again :/
    vid related
    https://youtu.be/dM2vZVZka_k
    Edited by Soris on September 6, 2020 7:45PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrtoobyy wrote: »

I use it. But I think I'm the last person on earth who does....

But honestly, what else is a Templar health build going to use for defense? It might not be very good (and it isn't) but it's still the best ability they have for negating damage. It stops more damage then you're ever going try healing back using your weak ___ heals. I also don't think it's the cost that's the problem with it. It's just the plain fact a 7~8k shield is nothing on this game. People breath on you for that amount of damage.

The whole class needs a serious rework. But so does PvP generally on this game. It's been in a downward spiral since since Greymoor and seems to be just getting worse.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars need a total rework. Its just everything
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hasty pray needs to be change to a health based heal for Tankplar.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

No thanks. We have seen what happens when classes have access to max health based heals in PvP: stamdens with 40k health still dishing out tons of damage and with insane self heals due to arctic blast. Such builds are almost impossible to kill 1v1 and still one-shot people with a sub, dizzy, dawnbreaker combo. Its not healthy for the game to have some classes allow to build like that and others are not. Also tank builds with insane damage...that shouldnt be the goal to reach in PvP.
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

No, HP scaling heals are the most stupid thing Zos has ever introduced to the game.
    Edited by BohnT2 on September 7, 2020 1:37PM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this skill buffed yet?
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]