The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Questions about crafting gear

HalfDarkV2
Hello guys!! First time here in eso forums. It is great to be part of such a great community. It's my first playthrough/build and i already love everything about this game. I have a dark elf dragonknight magicka dps at level 30. I learned as much as i could about crafting at level 20, if i remember correctly. I learned about woodworking, enchanting and clothing crafting and skills and its much clearer now. I also started researching traits, mostly in woodworking and clothing cause i am going for staff and light armor and prioritized them. Right now i research mostly the infused, divines and impenetrable for armor and precise, infused and sharpened for weapons. When i am done with them i'll go for the other. So, i have questions about crafting gear. I don't usually craft stuff. It didnt feel like i had to cause the dropped gear it was good enough for armor and weapon ratings. Should i start crafting after all before level 50 or the dropped gear is good enough for that part of the game? I think its better to deconstruct and research for the xp and traits since my gear is good enough and i always find better as i progress. Thanks in advance and sorry for this huge essay :smiley:

Best Answers

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your mindset is on the right track, @HalfDarkV2.

There’s no need to craft gear until the gear cap (CP160).

So, it’s OK to keep picking up random pieces until then.

For that matter, there’s no reason to keep old dropped pieces below CP160 either. Once you find something better you can decon the old one. CP160 is where you start saving gear that’s important to you.
    Answer ✓
  • dlrgames
    dlrgames
    ✭✭
    Any gear you acquire before level 50 will have such a short useful life cycle it isn’t worth investing mats to upgrade.
    Also, I don’t recommend you upgrade anything until you have enough free skill points to invest in the passives that reduce the required amount of upgrade mats.
    Answer ✓
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @HalfDarkV2 , it’s refreshing to hear a new player like you who is so invested in crafting at an early stage in the game. There is much to learn but you have a great start and are already doing the right things.

I don’t know if you are doing daily crafting writs yet (I usually wait until my crafter’s skills are leveled to 50) but some players find it a good way to help level up with the inspiration gained by it and to earn some extra gold. You can get certification to do the writs from a couple of NPCs at the Fighters and Mages Guild.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Answer ✓
  • HalfDarkV2
    Thank you so much for the reply. Nice to hear it. So i guess i'm fine that way. And something else i forgot to mention before. Last days i used to have a purple lightning destruction staff but today i found a green one ai higher level that the other. I noticed on stats that it was better and i replaced it. Is it worthy the materials to upgrade it to blue? i mean am i going to see difference on stats?
  • HalfDarkV2
    dlrgames wrote: »
    Any gear you acquire before level 50 will have such a short useful life cycle it isn’t worth investing mats to upgrade.
    Also, I don’t recommend you upgrade anything until you have enough free skill points to invest in the passives that reduce the required amount of upgrade mats.

I see thank you very much. So i guess i'm gonna unlock these passives then for woodworking, enchanting and clothing maybe!!
  • HalfDarkV2
    @HalfDarkV2 , it’s refreshing to hear a new player like you who is so invested in crafting at an early stage in the game. There is much to learn but you have a great start and are already doing the right things.

I don’t know if you are doing daily crafting writs yet (I usually wait until my crafter’s skills are leveled to 50) but some players find it a good way to help level up with the inspiration gained by it and to earn some extra gold. You can get certification to do the writs from a couple of NPCs at the Fighters and Mages Guild.

Hello!! Yeah i started doing these daily quests at level 25 if i remember correctly. Most of the time though they have to do with enchanting, maybe because i'm in the mages guild. Nice to hear that i'm on the right way. I heard many people didnt invest on crafting until level 50 cp 160 and they regret it for not doing it earlier. So i decided to invest as soon as i can. Thanks again for the reply :blush:
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HalfDarkV2 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the reply. Nice to hear it. So i guess i'm fine that way. And something else i forgot to mention before. Last days i used to have a purple lightning destruction staff but today i found a green one ai higher level that the other. I noticed on stats that it was better and i replaced it. Is it worthy the materials to upgrade it to blue? i mean am i going to see difference on stats?

You will see a difference in stats upgrading to blue, @HalfDarkV2 ... but, again, you go through levels so quickly that something better will come along soon.

In other words, save your upgrade tempers until CP160 is my recommendation.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HalfDarkV2 wrote: »

Hello!! Yeah i started doing these daily quests at level 25 if i remember correctly. Most of the time though they have to do with enchanting, maybe because i'm in the mages guild. Nice to hear that i'm on the right way. I heard many people didnt invest on crafting until level 50 cp 160 and they regret it for not doing it earlier. So i decided to invest as soon as i can. Thanks again for the reply :blush:

I primarily do the metal, cloth, and wood daily writs because I want to get more master writs and those give more vouchers. They may be from the guy at the Fighters Guild instead. Don’t worry, you can be certified in those crafts even if you don’t do the storyline. Both guilds quests are able to be done by any type of build so go for both if you like. You do not have to be a magicka build to do Mages Guild or a stamina build to do Fighters Guild.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA