The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How are game breaking bugs like this still in the game after 6 YEARS!?!?! (Rant~ Ish)

Humor
Humor
✭✭✭
Hello all,

So recently coming back to the game after a while of not playing, and making a few posts explaining what I was going to to do, I set out a road map for my new character, and how I wanted to experience Elder Scrolls Online once again.

I am someone who purchased this game's Collectors Edition, and played the game upon release, and during the Beta, so when we're talking about "Game Breaking Bugs", I'm certainly no stranger to them. But after 6 years of this game being out, the bugs, especially the game breaking ones that are still around are ridiculous, and to me, shows Zenimax, as a company, or Bethesda, however much weight they hold with Zenimax care absolutely nothing for the players, and are pretty much just as greedy as everyone else out there, and I honestly can't wait until it bites them in the ass. That aside, game breaking bugs.... Right?

So, when I came back, I made a post on the forums stating I was going to go through the story of Ebonheart, because this is what my first character has done story wise, so I figured I could simply run through it again, and go over parts I don't really recall, because ESO is all about the story, right (I'm trying my hardest to keep and straight face, not fall off my chair laughing as I type this). So fine... I set out.

So very first thing I've noticed when I came back, the tutorial zone was different. I was no longer in Cold Harbour or whatever the tutorial started you off in. I knew the starting zone was changed from time to time, but it was still in the same location as always, turns out, if you buy the major expansions or at least "Greymoor" to my knowledge, it throws you into a completely random instance in which I was never expecting to be in. I mean at first I was disappointed, because I wanted to just rush through stuff, but soon found myself to enjoy this aspect starting brand new, not knowing anything going into it. A fresh beginning, just as if I started up the game for the first time. It was refreshing to say the least

After the tutorial though I ran around for a bit wondering if I could I could actually do the Cold Harbour beginning again. After spending 30 minutes trying to see if I could do this or not, I finally got tired, and turned to our good friend "Google". It turns out you very much so can STILL do Cold Harbour's beginning, or the proper tutorial in this game, and it was simply turned into a quest all in it's own, which actually could have been turned into some really interesting quest/story wise if it didn't just throw you right into the tutorial with a bop on the head.

So through these means I able to feel nostalgic again, and it was great, I enjoyed it for what it was, I honestly wish I just started there as normal, and maybe you found some other way to introduce me to Greymoor's new "Skyrim" expansion, because part of this tutorial actually tied in with the MAIN STORY, which is now a "Side Quest", or so it feels.

This brings me to my next point, upon finally arriving to Stonefalls (Ebonheart Pact) (or whatever your first main map is). When arriving in this city/town I was immediately bombarded by 50+ quests, I'm not even joking, because this is how I finally found out you could ONLY HAVE 25 QUESTS at a time, which is absolutely absurd, considering how many are actually thrown at you. I had Npc's running up to me, left right and center, throwing these quests I had no clue about in my face. I just started this game again and wanted to experience the "Normal" mode, or what I did at first, but found myself scrambling through quests that would lead me to entirely different maps, in which I would have to get rid of, and teleport all the way back to Stonefalls, this happened on more than one occasion which was starting to aggravate me. The main quests from the DLC quest's/expansions are jumbled around so much, and in a beginning zone nonetheless. Why is this even a thing? I looked at the quest journal after deleting these quests, and I found most of them under "Prologue", and it simply said "Accept this quest"? Why the hell are you throwing hundreds of quests in my face, when the expansions/DLC's can as simplified as going to your Journal, and hitting "Accept". Not only is it organized, I don't have to run around, and try and organize the new quests, from the original quests myself. The way Zenimax went about giving DLC, and Expansions is just ridiculous. Let's not forget there's countless video's out there telling you, when you actually do tutorials like Skyrim and are immediately thrown into that zone, they actually are NOT beginner friendly, and those zones are actually expecting you to have a character thats had experience in the game.

After sorting all that BS out, I FINALLY started to play the game as I remembered, doing quests, and such, and actually paying attention to the story once more. Here's where the "Game Breaking Bug" kicks in. So I personally find the main questline in my previous experience, with the Harborage, Molag Bal, and those big main characters to be the most interesting part of this game, and this is exactly one of the reasons I came back, to experience this again. I got up to the point where I saved Abnur Tharn, but as I continued playing, I started to feel like something was wrong. I got to level 30, and wasn't getting these main quests/story missions anymore... Odd... But I figured yeah, the game has been developed for "X" amount of years since I last touched it, maybe a bit has changed. Got to the end of Dashaan, STILL no further Harborage quests... Okay... maybe a LOT has a changed... Started to do Eastmarch (Eastern Skyrim) well, by the time I was done that, I went from level 30- CP 98 (Champion Rank/Points), STILL NO HARBORAGE QUEST. Ok something is clearly wrong, or bugged with my new character now, and after hitting CP 98, I'm not about to create a new character, I've spent nearly 72 hours on this new one, albiet not as much as others, but something just isn't right here....

I paid no mind to this until I finally got a vampire bite, and grouped up with someone else, we eventually got into talking about the main story, they logged onto their Ebonheart character, and they had no problems, yet, whenever I went to the harborage, nothing happened, I was able to talk to the Npc's, yet, my only option would be to say "Goodbye". So we further looked into this, and finally after HOURS of searching realized the ONLY reason I wasn't able to proceed with my story, is simply due to a damned Expansion/DLC namely ELSEWYR, a DLC quest I picked up at the start of the game because I was bombarded with an insane amount of quests, and I guess I didn't know this was one of them I had actually kept. Well it turns out, if you accept this quest before doing the main Story, Abnur Tharn's Npc shows up in the mages guild, I knew this, but apparently when he spawns before hand, the story quest will NOT Proceed, as his npc tampers with the main storyline from Elsewyr.

So here I am now looking like a jack-_ss, all because of ONE QUEST I forgot to delete, or get rid of. Which brings me to..... Why the F-ck are bugs like this still in the game after 6 years of the game being out? I feel like saying something stupid like Blizzard's counter Argument "Do you GUYS NOT HAVE PHONES!?!?!?", which is me basically saying do you guys not test your own game? You even have a godamned Public Test Server, and you can't catch stuff like this? No, because you're so full of trying to cheat people out of their money with lootboxes, and "Chapters" not being part of your major expansions with your heads so far shoved up your own asses, and not even paying attention to what consumers such as myself actually WANT in a game, that you miss stuff like this.

Again, I don't know who is to blame for this, Zenimax, or Bethesda, but seriously, as a game that's considered to be one if the "TOP 3" big mmorpg's still (from what I've read, and personally played), I'd honestly give you a rating of below 10, if I still knew 10 Mmorpg's that were still around.

anyways, these are my thoughts, and I'm glad I figured out what was causing this bug, and can finally Proceed with the main story after 72 hours ish of gameplay. Seriously, is this game still in BETA? And you're CHARGING for it? $80 for the expansions well spent... Good Job Zenimax, you got my money. The true Bethesda way. "it Just works"- Todd Howard
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read all of this but really don't have a comment other than it's an online game, only so many programmers and so much money to pay them. It's the exact same in any industry that relies on those two things.

If you wake up in the middle of the night screaming just take a few weeks off.
  • Humor
    Humor
    ✭✭✭
    I read all of this but really don't have a comment other than it's an online game, only so many programmers and so much money to pay them. It's the exact same in any industry that relies on those two things.

If you wake up in the middle of the night screaming just take a few weeks off.

Let's not forget this is one of if not THE BIGGEST funded mmorpg's out there. This game had a budget of 200 MILLION dollars, probably even more. How much of it do you think was spent on the game? Granted those "A-List" actors probably took a big cut as well. Still. 200 MILLION dollars... And what we got at launch/beta was a hot load of steaming trash. Which did eventually get better. Did I mention 200 MILLION dollars?
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

As this thread is Bashing in nature, it has been closed. Please keep in mind that Bashing is against the Forum Rules, as stated below:
    Bashing and Slanderous Comments: We do not permit the bashing of individuals (including ZeniMax employees), groups, or other companies on our forums. We believe that doing so is neither constructive nor in spirit of our game and community.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.