The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shadow Nightblade: Stamina AND Magicka?

ZomZom
ZomZom
✭✭✭
I'm building a Shadow Nightblade and am puzzled as to whether it makes sense to put points in both Stamina and Magicka. For instance, the Concealed Weapon morph of Veiled Strike increases movement speed while in stealth. Stealth uses stamina but the Concealed Weapon attack uses Magicka.

My character concept is of a stealthy one-handed and shield user.

Any guidance appreciated. I usually play glass canon mages and this is new to me.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you intend to use 1H/Shield, then you want to put your attribute points into stamina, wear medium armor, and pick the stamina morphs of skills. (Meaning you you won't use Concealed Weapon, but rather Surprise Attack.)

If you want to be quick in stealth and use Concealed Weapon, then you'll need to go the magicka route with light armor, which means that 1H/Shield is pretty much out of the question (since you'll need to run a restoration staff if you want decent healing.)

Armor and weapon type is important. If your skills use magicka, medium armor & melee weapons will cause you to hit like a wet noodle.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go full hybrid if that's what you're thinking. If you wanna be able to perma-cloak go magblade, if you wanna be be more naturally stealthy while going in and out of cloak as needed go Stamblade.

On a cloak heavy Stamblade it's normal to put extra emphasis on max mag and mag recovery for cloak, how much is up to you. Once you have your setup about how you want it test it by doing consecutive cloaks, if after 4 you still have 1k+ mag but not enough for another cloak add to your max mag and Regen until you can hit 5. You can push that as far as you want but keep in mind the more you do the more it takes away from your offense, my Stamblade can do 5 while still being able to handle himself in any fight so I'm comfortable with that. If this is a character you'll be taking into group pve you'll be best off by using mostly enchants and or jewelry traits on your stealth gear to accomplish this so your group oriented setup will be unaffected.

I'm not a fan of using concealed weapon on Stamblade. I've heard of people doing it, but you're giving up one of the best class spamables in the game for a little movement speed on a build that already has good mobility. For any serious content, including any difficult solo play, you're gonna want surprise attack.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another option is to build a "permacloak stamblade." It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I don't recommend it for serious PVE or PVP, but it's a lot of fun and it's a good bit stronger than a hybrid build. It's more than strong enough for open world PVE, and you can even do some PVP with it, but it's far from "meta."

The backbone of this build is Vampirism (for sneak speed) and The Vesture of Darloc Brae.
    Utd5kj5.png

Darloc is your back bar set, (weapon is irrelevant) and that's where you'll also have Cloak, Concealed Weapon, and Race Against Time (or Channeled Acceleration.) Your front bar and Monster sets can be anything you like, but I'd recommend going all damage. This leaves you with 2 open slots. When I ran this I used 2 Agility, but if I did it now I'd probably do Wild Hunt and [next patch] 1 pc of Armor of the Trainee. Wild Hunt + RAT + Concealed Weapon will put you at 200% movement speed while sneaking/cloaked, which is the fastest you can go.

On your front bar you'll have to pick a spammable from one of the weapon lines, since Concealed Weapon is useless to you for damage. You can do Dizzying Swing from 2H, Flurry from DW, or maybe even something from 1H/Shield (I'm not sure, I never use it.)

The key to this build is that unless you're attacking, you're always on your back bar and sneaking, using Race Against Time for extra movement speed. With Darloc you get the equivalent of 1340 mag, stam, and health regen — you'll actually regenerate stam while sneaking, and you'll have enough magicka to cloak pretty much as often as you need. It takes a bit of time to get used to always crouching, but it becomes second nature soon enough.

Like I said, it's not meta or anything, but you'd be able to play the style you want without having to make a magblade. Darloc is super cheap too, so if you don't like it you're not out much at all. I recommend trying it — I liked it when I ran it. If you're anything like me though, you'll probably wind up switching to magblade once you get a taste of the playstyle.
    Edited by Langeston on August 1, 2020 2:32AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZomZom
    If you are looking for a viable Hybrid you have to understand that you are giving up Minmaxing completly. This is only viable for Roleplay and Solocontent. However with a little change in gear and mundus boon you can get a lot out of it. See for yourself.

TwoHand Brawler: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=234687
    Darloc Brae SpeedRunner: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=262717

It is the same character only diffrences is in mundus and equipment.
    Last night i soloed Spindelclutch I with her. Didn't even die once. :)
    read, think and write.In that order.