The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Features are steadily being removed from PvP and performance is worse than 3-4 years ago; How......?

Crom_CCCXVI
Crom_CCCXVI
✭✭✭✭✭
This isn't an attack, this is my favorite game, but this a real question from someone who has been playing PvP on console since launch, in a guild with the same 2 dozen or people for years, and we were just trying to understand what is going on, why despite features being steadily removed and simplified- performance issues are worse than 2017? Maybe I'm not seeing something and someone can explain, but as I am hearing about what I think is a terrible change to AOE'is coming, I'm thinking of all the things that have been removed from Cyrodil already.

Many things I liked, but all these things are gone
1) We used to have a larger population cap....

2*****) The awesomeness of when we used to see other people's attacks. It's a shame new players will never know how cool it was to be closing in on a battle at night in Cyrodil and see Destro Ults in the distance , that was extremely cool... now gone.

3) CC's and Stuns now all have Immunity timers.. For years I played a CC Tank in Cyrodil, it was great to hold back an army on a breach, small groups could defend against big groups, there were 2 hour battles at Chalman back in the day (PS4) . A well organized small group could really defend... now, if the numbers are too great, everyone just steamrolls right by you like you aren't even there or they run some tight little bomb heal group thing and just train around, that isn't near as fun

4) Pretty much a timer or immunity on everything now, literally people in Cyrodil who spend the whole night running away and trolling because they really can't be forced to fight, whatever though.

5) Imperial City is no longer connected

6) Champion points have been simplified. Customization is so much for fun PvP, hopefully this doesn't happen much more

7) A lot of the sets have been made duller. Nothing brings you back to life, no Phoenix, no Eternal Yokeda.. things like Sheild Breaker don't do anything special anymore

8) and there are so many things I'm forgetting........................

Point is, with all that stuff gone---- what was has been added that has the changed the performance to the point where things are being continually simplified? I would think it would be moving the other direction and cool features would be added and performance would be improving as technology improves. It doesn't make sense-- less people, less dynamics, less visuals and runs worse than 3 years ago? WHY?
Edited by Crom_CCCXVI on July 30, 2020 7:50AM
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tons of new proc sets adding calculations and visual effects, hurting both server and client performance. Destructible Bridges/Milegates (ZOS removed destructible towers as according to them they impact performance, yet they added other destructible stuff!?). Constant nerfs to solo/small scale play, indirectly buffing zergs. No incentives to spread out. Stuff like volendrung resulting in entire campaigns stacking at one place. Changes to how skills/block/dodge work, making those unresponsible and feel "laggy" even when the server isn't actually lagging. There are probably more reasons, those are just a few things that came to my mind.

(AOE) Skill spam is probably the only thing that has not changed over the years - and yet ZOS wants us to belive it is the main culprit for the constant performance decline. Just LOL ...
    Edited by Rianai on July 30, 2020 10:26AM
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t forget the great deer/bug removal to improve performance
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you hear? Its all the aoes' fault. Players are casting them too often.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t forget the great deer removal to improve performance
    agree.gif

Can we please have a moment of silence for all the deer that sacrificed their virtual lives for nothing.
    sad.gif
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't an attack, this is my favorite game, but this a real question from someone who has been playing PvP on console since launch, in a guild with the same 2 dozen or people for years, and we were just trying to understand what is going on, why despite features being steadily removed and simplified- performance issues are worse than 2017? Maybe I'm not seeing something and someone can explain, but as I am hearing about what I think is a terrible change to AOE'is coming, I'm thinking of all the things that have been removed from Cyrodil already.

1) The cap was 600v600v600 (1,800 players) The game now only supports 125-150 (375-450 players)
    2) They nerfed skills into oblivion to force all classes to be 1 or 2 routes, a joke.
    3) This was a healthy fix, but it also encouraged numbers, right around this is when the lag started becoming worse.
    4) Healthy fix.
    5) Yup, IC removed and put into its own instance.....And it doesn't seem to help the server lag
    6) Champion Points may have been simplified but about 30-50% of all combat goes through CP calculations per player... More CP calls! yay! Lets go back to VR ranks please, way better system.
    7) They nerfed so many sets for such bad reasons to force players into new sets, new sets which get nerfed faster than anything else, so eventually as the game progresses you actually lose power, isn't that crazy??
    8) Don't forget, gates and bridges now destructible...more server calls? yay!
    Oh, don't forget about the hammer, more zerg lag!! Thats all the hammer did :) Don't forget ani cancel removed because of "desync" and now desyncs are worse than ever before. Deer remove, lighting patch, physics patch, door removal patch, siege nerf patch, aoe cap patch, etc, etc, etc.

The game is being dumbed down for the Skyrim Online players, can't wait for Elder Scrolls VI everyone will probably leave ESO since it didn't cater toward MMO players and only Elder Scrolls fans.

One of the most amazing combat systems ever in an MMO, and ZOS ruins it slowly :)

They tried so many things to "Fix cyrodiil" and every single patch has actually made it worse.
    600v600 battles didn't lag out the server, just lagged our the client.
    Edited by Casterial on July 30, 2020 5:03PM
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big fax ^^^^^
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is ZOS does not want to upgrade their servers to handle the load. So instead they remove features or make bandage fixes that just result in more problems. Noticed a significant change in No Cp performance for the worse in PC NA after last Mondays several hour maintenance.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep adding things without spending any money
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cynical guess would be that guys who didn’t work on the original code are applying new bandaids over the older, worn out bandaids that were applied by earlier guys who also didn’t work on the original code.

It has become very apparent to me over the years that the best time to play any online multiplayer game is during the first year or two of release, as there’s a better chance that members of the original team are still on board and/or new team members haven’t yet had a chance to completely futz things up. Any longer than that initial 1-2 years after release, and we start venturing into spaghetti code territory, replete with CS attributing spaghetti code-related issues to the user. Can you believe the PS4 support mod is STILL encouraging people to check their internet connection and the status of the PS Network for poor performance experienced in ESO and ESO alone?

This game was so much fun when it worked. Alas.
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Many things I liked, but all these things are gone
    1) We used to have a larger population cap....

2*****) The awesomeness of when we used to see other people's attacks. It's a shame new players will never know how cool it was to be closing in on a battle at night in Cyrodil and see Destro Ults in the distance , that was extremely cool... now gone.

3) CC's and Stuns now all have Immunity timers.. For years I played a CC Tank in Cyrodil, it was great to hold back an army on a breach, small groups could defend against big groups, there were 2 hour battles at Chalman back in the day (PS4) . A well organized small group could really defend... now, if the numbers are too great, everyone just steamrolls right by you like you aren't even there or they run some tight little bomb heal group thing and just train around, that isn't near as fun

4) Pretty much a timer or immunity on everything now, literally people in Cyrodil who spend the whole night running away and trolling because they really can't be forced to fight, whatever though.

5) Imperial City is no longer connected

6) Champion points have been simplified. Customization is so much for fun PvP, hopefully this doesn't happen much more

7) A lot of the sets have been made duller. Nothing brings you back to life, no Phoenix, no Eternal Yokeda.. things like Sheild Breaker don't do anything special anymore

8) and there are so many things I'm forgetting........................

Point is, with all that stuff gone---- what was has been added that has the changed the performance to the point where things are being continually simplified? I would think it would be moving the other direction and cool features would be added and performance would be improving as technology improves. It doesn't make sense-- less people, less dynamics, less visuals and runs worse than 3 years ago? WHY?

Simple-Mismanaging the game for 5 years.
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two simple words : lightning patch.

Every veteran players knows that everything went wrong since this patch, whatever lies are told to us by ZoS.