The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Help with DPS - sorcerer

arsen99
arsen99
Soul Shriven
Hi.
I think I should do better with my DPS, so need some help where should I make some changes.

I'm dark elf magica sorcerer 370CP.

Mundus stone - the Apprentice

I use two full sets:

Necropotence (Shoes, 2x ring, inferno staff frontbar fiery weapon enchantment, lighting staff backbar charged weapon enchantment) - light
and
False God's devotion (hands, legs, chest, waist, necklace) - light
all purple some divines some not, all maxmagica enchantment, jewelry - arcane/spell demage

Monster helmet - Mav of the infernal (but also Grothar, Ilambris, Nerien'eth's sometimes iceheart, depend from the content) - heavy / medium

Front bar is:
1 - crystal fragments
2 - mages wrath
3 - force pulse
4 - twilight tormentor
5 - hardened ward

backbar is:
1 - critical surge
2 - boundless storm
3 - lighting flood
4 - blockade of storms
5 - twilight tormentor

So I start from backbar - 1,2,3,4,5 then front bar - 3, (1 if proc), 3, (1 if proc), 3, (1 if proc), then back to backbar 3,4,5 and more or less so on. Sometimes I use shield, and sometimes must use critical surge and boundless storm because they are finish. After 20% of boss health I change force pulse to mages wrath. When I can I use ultimate - charged atronach
I also try to make every comma you see above as light attack. Right now I'm able to make about 50-70 light attack for 100 second fight, sometimes more.

My CP points distribution in blue tree are:
Elfborn - 38
Elemental expert - 23
Spell Erosion - 11

Staff expert - 23
Master-at-arms - 30

125 in total

My main stats are:
Maxmagica - 44,5k
Maxhealth - 19,2k
Magica recovery - 920
Spell Damage - 2600
Spell critical - 43%
Spell penetration - 5981

So basically when I try on dummy I'm able to make about 20-25k DPS, until my magica is not finished, then drop to 15k-17k when making heavy attack and lose my rotation
In real content the magica is normally not finish (some heavy attacks + false god) but I have about 10-25k DPS
While I think I should be able to make about 35-40k DPS without much effort. So 30k DPS should be normal in real content for me.

But what is the worst, I don't have any idea how to increase it. I tried many other sets like mother sorrow, icy conjuror, overwhelming, julianos, new moon acolythe, but the result was almost the same about 20k DPS. And I saw people who are making 50k easily... The last thing I want to try is combine False God with Mantle of Siroria but then I lost al lot of magica nd probably will finish the same way.
So any advice?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need Daedric Prey, preferably front bar (move ward to back bar instead of flood, or drop fury). Ditch the Apprentice mundus and use Shadow, then get rid of Necropotence and replace it with Sorrow. You will see a gain with Sorrow once you have crit damage from Shadow. Make sure your front bar weapon is Precise, and keep the Flame glyph to apply Burning. Back bar should be Infused with Berserker enchant (this is an important source of 452 Spell Damage). The rest of your Spell Damage will come from jewelry enchants.

You have too much in Staff Expert, I’d do 0 there until you have more CPs, and eventually 9 to 19. Several CPs round down to a whole number, and 30 MAA 38 Elf are not jump points. Stick to numbers like 28, 31, 34, 37, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 61 or 66 there.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need Daedric Prey, preferably front bar (move ward to back bar instead of flood, or drop fury). Ditch the Apprentice mundus and use Shadow, then get rid of Necropotence and replace it with Sorrow. You will see a gain with Sorrow once you have crit damage from Shadow. Make sure your front bar weapon is Precise, and keep the Flame glyph to apply Burning. Back bar should be Infused with Berserker enchant (this is an important source of 452 Spell Damage). The rest of your Spell Damage will come from jewelry enchants.

You have too much in Staff Expert, I’d do 0 there until you have more CPs, and eventually 9 to 19. Several CPs round down to a whole number, and 30 MAA 38 Elf are not jump points. Stick to numbers like 28, 31, 34, 37, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 61 or 66 there.

While for trials I will agree, for pug dungeons etc some of the tips would be different.
    @op
    Important questions:
    Do you use maelstrom staff?
    Do you use potions?
    Are weapons golden?

Points that needs to be taken from wrath even for non trials:
    backbar always infused. (Wall of elements procs the enchantment even when you are front bar, making it the only enchantment which is working even when you are on front bar)

CP allocation: remember that the % always rounds down. So if you have 13% dmg done, or 13.99% dmg done in CP, they are both actually the same. Try to allocate it accordingly.

Swap out necropotence: it was a kinda bad set to begin with, with the changes to pets next patch it will be much worse.

mundus stone: shadow definitely better than apprentice (crit is low though, if you don't change sets for more crit maybe thief will be better). If you have sustain issues, blame the healer (on one hand just kidding, on the other, not kidding)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://xynodegaming.com/easysorc/

While not everyone's cup of tea many have used it and used it quite well...food for thought.
  • arsen99
    arsen99
    Soul Shriven
    Hello

Thank you for your comments.
    I made some adjustments.

Like changed to mother sorrow, changed mundus, put some more points in critical.
    I always had gold weapons one infused one precise, just forgot to wrote about it.

For me not much changed. I made today dozens trials with target skeleton.
    And always finish between 19-23k DPS

Please take a look at this short video, maybe there you will find some mistakes.
    I just can't imagine how to make 40k DPS not to say more...

https://youtu.be/OQ6ubUMha0k
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see your problem! And it's so easy to fix!!!!

your on the wrong target dummy!

Find a guild that has an Iron Atronach (huge firey trial one with 21mil health) you won't need to build so much for sustain because it gives synergies and it's resistance is much lower so you'll do more damage!

Seriously your DPS will likely go up about 10k just with that one switch (it's also the one all the youtubers/streamers use to get huge numbers)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem n1: no magsteal nor major breach, when in dungeon/trial healers will always bring it (should at least) it adds more than 10% dmg and magicka restores
    Problem n2: your wall of elements morph is 14 sec while liquid lightning is 10, making you refresh them early/late
    Edited by zvavi on July 29, 2020 7:08PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arsen99 wrote: »
    Hello

Thank you for your comments.
    I made some adjustments.

Like changed to mother sorrow, changed mundus, put some more points in critical.
    I always had gold weapons one infused one precise, just forgot to wrote about it.

For me not much changed. I made today dozens trials with target skeleton.
    And always finish between 19-23k DPS

Please take a look at this short video, maybe there you will find some mistakes.
    I just can't imagine how to make 40k DPS not to say more...

https://youtu.be/OQ6ubUMha0k

A few things I noticed in that video. You don’t have elemental drain, this means the dummy has much more resistance than it should. Major Breach alone should add about 15% DPS, and Ele Drain also restores 300 Magicka per second. I have no idea how you are sustaining without that, you probably have some Magicka recovery somewhere in your build that could be turned into Spell Damage to increase DPS further. You don’t need a shield or surge for a dummy parse, and Flood/Liquid Lightning is too weak to justify using. I’d drop those 3 skills and replace them with Barbed Trap (for Minor Force, or alternatively Channeled Acceleration), Ele Drain and Endless Fury (front bar).

Also get rid of the Lightning Staves if you want to do more damage. It’s sad to say because I think most Sorcerers prefer the look and feel of Lightning, unfortunately it has been given stats that make it a support weapon that better suits healers and tanks, while Inferno Staves have damage bonuses that make them optimal on both bars.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also get rid of the Lightning Staves if you want to do more damage. It’s sad to say because I think most Sorcerers prefer the look and feel of Lightning, unfortunately it has been given stats that make it a support weapon that better suits healers and tanks, while Inferno Staves have damage bonuses that make them optimal on both bars.
    I actually like lightning staves on sorc, I usually run fire but when my pug dungeon healer doesn't give sustain nor lightning wall of his own (for off balance) I swap two double lightning for the off balance, use heavy attacks when it is off balance for massive dmg+sustain (thanks to vMA buff being Uber biased towards buffing lightning heavy)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    I actually like lightning staves on sorc, I usually run fire but when my pug dungeon healer doesn't give sustain nor lightning wall of his own (for off balance) I swap two double lightning for the off balance, use heavy attacks when it is off balance for massive dmg+sustain (thanks to vMA buff being Uber biased towards buffing lightning heavy)

Yeah, I’ll agree that if nobody else in a group uses a Lightning Wall then it’s worth doing the Lightning back bar yourself. Really only an issue in random groups though, if you play with friends then a tank or healer will handle off-balance and a 2nd Lightning Wall adds nothing.

Also good point about Lightning heavies being better than Inferno, but using no heavy attacks beats Lightning heavy attacks. It’s less of a loss to build the minimum sustain required (even if it takes Breton race, Clockwork food, or a sustain set) and use only Light Attacks.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also good point about Lightning heavies being better than Inferno, but using no heavy attacks beats Lightning heavy attacks. It’s less of a loss to build the minimum sustain required (even if it takes Breton race, Clockwork food, or a sustain set) and use only Light Attacks.

Only if he has vMA staff though.

Edit: normal ma staff too, I always forget about it's existence
    Edited by zvavi on July 29, 2020 8:58PM