The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stamblade Feels Boring Now

Strider__Roshin
Strider__Roshin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Back in the day I used to play fast paced; block cancelling my fear and incap, followed up my attacks with a bash in order to deal extra damage. Now without the ability to block cancel any of the aforementioned, and with bashes being so weak... literally the only thing I do is just spam surprise attack and try to hit my enemy's flank. Combat used to feel like a fast paced Chess match.

And now it's so freaking dull.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Stamblade for ganking in PVP and I love him, but he makes heavy use of the bow and fighters guild skill lines for attacks/damage, and just a few class abilities to help increase damage (marked for death) or survivability (invisability, fear, shadow form).

I'm now making a stamblade purely for PVE/DPS purposes and I couldn't help but notice that almost ALL of the class abilities have ONLY magika morphs. This means that the Stamblade is basically a generic character that has to rely on skill lines available to everyone in order to be effective.

Because of that, I think that the Stamblade needs to be reworked to incorporate more stam morphs, and not just more stam morphs, but more stam morphs that can be used at a mix of ranges - not just close up and personal.

But that is just IMO.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Stamblade for ganking in PVP and I love him, but he makes heavy use of the bow and fighters guild skill lines for attacks/damage, and just a few class abilities to help increase damage (marked for death) or survivability (invisability, fear, shadow form).

I'm now making a stamblade purely for PVE/DPS purposes and I couldn't help but notice that almost ALL of the class abilities have ONLY magika morphs. This means that the Stamblade is basically a generic character that has to rely on skill lines available to everyone in order to be effective.

Because of that, I think that the Stamblade needs to be reworked to incorporate more stam morphs, and not just more stam morphs, but more stam morphs that can be used at a mix of ranges - not just close up and personal.

But that is just IMO.

Us grown up nightblades dont play gank :P

We either need a good aoe ability, or something to make our damage worth it to not have an aoe imo
    Edited by erio on July 29, 2020 8:39PM
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    erio wrote: »

But that is just IMO.

We either need a good aoe ability, or something to make our damage worth it to not have an aoe imo

Theres a new set that will break nightblade. I wont tell you which but itll be the new gank meta.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Phhh...
    Ask a magicka player how he felt about bash weaving. It was one of the many small imbalances which contribute to a stamina meta.
    Try shooting your spectral bow now and then. If you build right, it can hit for more than 13k.
    But I can agree on a general conclusion that PvP has been watered down significantly. It's just not very interesting at the moment. Hasn't been for over a year, tbh.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Phhh...
    Ask a magicka player how he felt about bash weaving. It was one of the many small imbalances which contribute to a stamina meta.
    Try shooting your spectral bow now and then. If you build right, it can hit for more than 13k.
    But I can agree on a general conclusion that PvP has been watered down significantly. It's just not very interesting at the moment. Hasn't been for over a year, tbh.

I'm trying to play the game again and I'm honestly not feeling it. Combat feels slow now and almost everyone in the dueling spots are stamcros. I'm guessing they're broken OP?

Nightblades are non-existent in the dueling scene too. I thought they were suppose to be good now?
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »

But that is just IMO.

Theres a new set that will break nightblade. I wont tell you which but itll be the new gank meta.

Hope you enjoy your super secret new gank build buddy.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nb feels boring, stamsorc is way more fun actually.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    actosh wrote: »

hurricane and wrecking blow......pass....:P
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    actosh wrote: »

hurricane and wrecking blow......pass....:P

Mobility, sustain.

Actually kinda like the crystal weapon thing as it procs dark magic almost on cd.

But we will see what happens when zos pushes through with their aoe changes and their "total rework" of classes since the aoe changes affect 220+ abilities in the game.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Phhh...

I'm trying to play the game again and I'm honestly not feeling it. Combat feels slow now and almost everyone in the dueling spots are stamcros. I'm guessing they're broken OP?

Nightblades are non-existent in the dueling scene too. I thought they were suppose to be good now?

Combat in PvP is boring AF, yes. It was even worse half a year ago with the tank meta, at least people die now occasionally.
    Stamcros are well-known to be super OP. They have a couple buffs like Protection which make them unkillable. And while Blastbones are buggy, if they hit properly in a combo, they deal a ton of damage. It's much like the Warden situation back then at the start of Morrowind. Which is why you hear a couple of P2W complaints these days.
    NB, especially stam, CAN be good now. Good burst. But they suck in open fights, so of course they're not dueling material. If you pick your fights carefully in open Cyro, you should be fine. Many are flocking to ganking builds for their NBs these days, but that's not necessary. Just play more like an assassin class than a brawler and it'll work out.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only just recently made a Stamblade and I like it. Had a Magblade for a while, it was my second character. I've tried all the classes and most of mine have been Magicka, so maybe it's just a different experience I'm enjoying. If a class doesn't do it for you play another one, my main is a Magicka Templar and I love her but I get bored and repetition should be boring or somethin's up...
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

We either need a good aoe ability, or something to make our damage worth it to not have an aoe imo[/quote]

Meh, to each their own. In shooter games, I love hovering around the edge of the battlefield with a sniper picking people off, so actually bow-ganking feels like a natural playstyle to me. And I think I do pretty good, my snipe can hit for 10-15k on the right target, and that is without major brutaility which I just unlocked so I gotta try it out...

• Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Meh, to each their own. In shooter games, I love hovering around the edge of the battlefield with a sniper picking people off, so actually bow-ganking feels like a natural playstyle to me. And I think I do pretty good, my snipe can hit for 10-15k on the right target, and that is without major brutaility which I just unlocked so I gotta try it out...

My brother did say the game is more like a FPS than ever, hmm...maybe he is on to something!
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Combat used to feel like a fast paced Chess match.

I'm not sure if "Chess match" is the best descriptor for what you are talking about. What you describe in the original post ("block cancelling my fear and incap, followed up my attacks with a bash in order to deal extra damage") sounds more like a premeditated spamming attack pattern than a Chess game.

A lot of what is going on in your description isn't about read and react because it all happens so fast, in such a short window, that it actually removes read and react -- making ESO less like Chess, and more like who can spam the fastest.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if "Chess match" is the best descriptor for what you are talking about. What you describe in the original post ("block cancelling my fear and incap, followed up my attacks with a bash in order to deal extra damage") sounds more like a premeditated spamming attack pattern than a Chess game.

A lot of what is going on in your description isn't about read and react because it all happens so fast, in such a short window, that it actually removes read and react -- making ESO less like Chess, and more like who can spam the fastest.

When you play Chess, do you hover your piece in front of your opponent's just before you take it and give them the opportunity to move it or do you just take it? Chess is about outplaying your opponent by being unpredictable, deceiving and punishing your opponent's predictability.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

When you play Chess, do you hover your piece in front of your opponent's just before you take it and give them the opportunity to move it or do you just take it? Chess is about outplaying your opponent by being unpredictable, deceiving and punishing your opponent's predictability.

If you want to be literal -- when I play Chess I can't spam 5 actions in 2 seconds. My opponent has a chance to read my first move because they saw it happen, and then react to it. Chess is a turn-based experience. Again, I don't think calling ESO a "Chess match" is the best descriptor.
  • Muzza45
    Muzza45
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, with the way things are going in Cyro and all the associated performance issues, just like chess we'll be having turn-based PvP in ESO soon... just sayin'
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually really like the direction there going with nb it forces you to play as a rogue it adds class identity.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually really like the direction there going with nb it forces you to play as a rogue it adds class identity.

It certain does bottleneck you into a particular play style in a game that prides itself in build diversity.