The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Random BG - can it just apply to wherever you finish?

Rittings
Rittings
✭✭✭✭✭
It's terrible when you're in 7 consecutive bad groups and you've spent 2 hours trying to get your daily random done. We have so little control over this now, that I think honestly - it's time to change this.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can name at least 10 people in my guild (probably more) that don't do daily BGs because of this. IT would encourage way more to do them daily... esepcially on PS4 where the BG community is already tiny.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be incentive for try to play well when attempting the daily. Otherwise there will be an AFK problem.

Sometimes you get unlucky, but coming in first or second should happen about 2/3 of the time on average. If your personal average seem significantly lower, there maybe be a particular 25% of your team's composition that need improvement.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be incentive for try to play well when attempting the daily. Otherwise there will be an AFK problem.

Sometimes you get unlucky, but coming in first or second should happen about 2/3 of the time on average. If your personal average seem significantly lower, there maybe be a particular 25% of your team's composition that need improvement.

I average 20+ kills per match... but sometimes, you can just get unlucky and end up in some terrible groups. It just happens. You can't carry 3 other players, espeically if you're up against teams comprising of 2 or 3 top players in each.

Right now, I've been sitting in Random BG queue on PS4 for 30 mins without it popping... that means... if I don't get my random done first or even second or third time... I could be looking at a time sink of 3+ hours to get it done. THAT is discouraging WAY more than the "incentive" to come in 1st or 2nd....
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus... going afk for a minute or 2 in a BG will see you booted from it anways.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    Plus... going afk for a minute or 2 in a BG will see you booted from it anways.

I didn't literally mean AFK, I just meant showing up and doing little more than wiggling around.

As far as queue times go, on Xbox NA, I always restart the queue if it goes longer than 10 mins. It usually finds a match fairly quickly after doing so. I don't claim to have special knowledge about the inner working of ZOS's matchmaking system, but it seems like a 10+ min queue indicates there is something "wrong." Restarting the queue would presumably fix it. That seems to work for me, anecdotally at least.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the other morning, I know most the people that play BGs... and we all confirmed on PS4, the queue times are anything from 1 minute to 1 hour. It's not simply a broken queue, it's a lack of enthusiasm to play it. The incentive to win is the extra AP you get for winning already... they could even further widen that amount if it doesn't seem enough.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The XP reward needs to be removed.
    Sadly it entices the wrong types of people (lowbies, newbies and PvE carebears) looking for a leveling boost.

Lowbies and newbies can learn elsewhere, in a less competitive scenario. 1 newbie in a zerg of 20 is 5% of your team. 1 newbie in a team of 4 in an objective gamemode is 25% of your team. It's far more crippling.
    And PvE carebears? You think I'm being mean? Lets see you bring a CP200 newbie with questing gear to your Vet Sunspire Trial. Yeah, don't think so.
    "Oh, PvPers are so exclusionary!" Yeah? Go try out for Hodor and get back to me. ;)
    No one likes having their hard work wasted, whether it's a contribution to an endgame raid, or a PvP match, or anything else.

Everyone is new, everyone needs to learn somewhere, but not where a single weak link can mean a pointless struggle for three other people.
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly it entices the wrong types of people (lowbies, newbies and PvE carebears) looking for a leveling boost.

Lowbies and newbies can learn elsewhere, in a less competitive scenario. 1 newbie in a zerg of 20 is 5% of your team. 1 newbie in a team of 4 in an objective gamemode is 25% of your team. It's far more crippling.
    And PvE carebears? You think I'm being mean? Lets see you bring a CP200 newbie with questing gear to your Vet Sunspire Trial. Yeah, don't think so.
    "Oh, PvPers are so exclusionary!" Yeah? Go try out for Hodor and get back to me. ;)
    No one likes having their hard work wasted, whether it's a contribution to an endgame raid, or a PvP match, or anything else.

Everyone is new, everyone needs to learn somewhere, but not where a single weak link can mean a pointless struggle for three other people.

In an ideal situation, the MMR system should cover most of those concerns. An MMR that works combined with a healthy large community should see none of these issues. If extremely weak players are being put into BG's with extremely good, experienced players, the core issue is a failing of the MMR system.

The concerns you list are valid, but basically shouldn't occur to begin with on a large enough scale to notice over and over unless the MMR is broken (which is easy enough to believe).
    Edited by redspecter23 on August 2, 2020 7:27AM
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So where do you suggest they learn? In Cyrodiil new comers aren't welclome, eill be trolled and attacked. IC, yeah lol, right. So where is left but BGs. This is the classic NIMBYism that pvpers are really famous for.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In an ideal situation, the MMR system should cover most of those concerns. An MMR that works combined with a healthy large community should see none of these issues. If extremely weak players are being put into BG's with extremely good, experienced players, the core issue is a failing of the MMR system.

The concerns you list are valid, but basically shouldn't occur to begin with on a large enough scale to notice over and over unless the MMR is broken (which is easy enough to believe).

True.
    I personally believe that, yes, the MMR system is broken (or perhaps not even there) or simply unable to operate because of a lack of players.
    As the phrase goes "beggars can't be choosers" and if there's only a handful of players waiting in queue at any given time, then the system can't "choose" who to put where, it has to just make a lobby out of what it has available. The only alternative there would be astronomical queue times that no one would stand for.
    Most MMR-based Matchmaker systems have "releases" built into them, where they go for an optimal match for x amount of time, then if none can be made/found, they "release" those limiters and just make do with what they've got.

I simply cannot believe that, under the effects of a properly functioning MMR system, a player like me (capable of 1mill damage, 20+ kill games, etc. across both mag and stam versions of multiple classes) would be matched with someone that goes 0/14 with less than 50K damage done by the end of a game.
    And before anyone thinks I'm just being a jerk, if I was that player, I'd be pissed at being thrown into the shark tank!

Edit: Typo
    Edited by LinearParadox on August 2, 2020 8:57AM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True.
    I personally believe that, yes, the MMR system is broken (or perhaps not even their) or simply unable to operate because of a lack of players.
    As the phrase goes "beggars can't be choosers" and if there's only a handful of players waiting in queue at any given time, then the system can't "choose" who to put where, it has to just make a lobby out of what it has available. The only alternative there would be astronomical queue times that no one would stand for.
    Most MMR-based Matchmaker systems have "releases" built into them, where they go for an optimal match for x amount of time, then if none can be made/found, they "release" those limiters and just make do with what they've got.

I simply cannot believe that, under the effects of a properly functioning MMR system, a player like me (capable of 1mill damage, 20+ kill games, etc. across both mag and stam versions of multiple classes) would be matched with someone that goes 0/14 with less than 50K damage done by the end of a game.
    And before anyone thinks I'm just being a jerk, if I was that player, I'd be pissed at being thrown into the shark tank!

I agree, but from the other side. I'm not great at PVP, but I'd love to learn in an environment that is balanced against my skill level. Getting tossed into a BG and getting rolled repeatedly by someone that ends up 20-0 isn't something I want to do regularly. If I knew the MMR would work and place me with players of my own skill level, I'd be far more likely to hit that queue button.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True.
    I personally believe that, yes, the MMR system is broken (or perhaps not even their) or simply unable to operate because of a lack of players.

The way I understand it your MMR rating can only ever go up buy never down? Correct? In which case sooner or later someone who is bad or just mediocre will end up punching way above their weight class, which alone is terrible design.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True.

The way I understand it your MMR rating can only ever go up buy never down? Correct? In which case sooner or later someone who is bad or just mediocre will end up punching way above their weight class, which alone is terrible design.

If the MMR was indeed designed this way, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it, because it sounds completely pointless to just always push players forward.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True.

If the MMR was indeed designed this way, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it, because it sounds completely pointless to just always push players forward.

So would I. It's a big reason why I haven't played BGs much since the group change because I know I'm mediocre pvper at best and I don't want to saddle a random group with me when I know I will, eventually, be completely overmatched. It's unfair to them and absolutely no fun for me. Like it feels like the whole design is meant to make BGs unfun for everyone in the long run. It's just baffling.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True.

I agree, but from the other side. I'm not great at PVP, but I'd love to learn in an environment that is balanced against my skill level. Getting tossed into a BG and getting rolled repeatedly by someone that ends up 20-0 isn't something I want to do regularly. If I knew the MMR would work and place me with players of my own skill level, I'd be far more likely to hit that queue button.

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about; it's not fair to either player in that case.
    I mean, imagine a Martial Arts school like that: "Welcome to your first lesson, today we're going to have this Black Belt beat the ever-loving [snip] out of you for 15 minutes. Come back next week for your next lesson!" ... yeah, I'm sure they'd have tons of students. -_-
    And I can honestly say that, when I attack someone and they don't heal, don't CC break, and go down in barely a few hits... there's no "victory" in that, I can't feel pride in that. I don't enjoy it anymore than they probably did, or more accurately, probably didn't. So yeah, there REALLY needs to be a fairness in fights.

So where do you suggest they learn? In Cyrodiil new comers aren't welclome, eill be trolled and attacked. IC, yeah lol, right. So where is left but BGs. This is the classic NIMBYism that pvpers are really famous for.

Cyrodiil is fine. People zerg surf all the time. No one asks questions, no one interviews for group or asks about gear score or whatever. Hell, plenty of people do it just to get Vigor alone, and people know that. Many zerglings don't know how to do anything other than hold W and press a skill key over and over, but over time they'll have little tastes of combat when things are more spread out, or they get caught out alone, etc.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about with Cyro being exclusionary. Toxic, yes, but exclusionary? Nah.

True.

Yes, I remember hearing that as well, and it sounded just as ludicrous then as it does now. Because it is.
    It assumes that a player is playing and attempting to improve, and thus they only need "time" to improve until they're put up against stronger/better/more experienced players.
    It does absolutely nothing for the types that don't care and just lazy their way through BGs looking for carries, not giving a [snip] who's games they throw/ruin along the way.
    Again, try that with a trials or progression group. Good luck. "Oh I don't take trials seriously, they don't matter to me. Now carry me through. Don't yell at me to do the mechanics, I play this game casually and that's fine."
    Yeah right, but plenty think that's acceptable in BGs. And with that system, eventually they'll reach the top-tiers, because eventually they'll get enough carries to do so.
    It's patently absurd.

[edited for filter bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 5, 2020 2:22PM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Cyrodiil is fine. People zerg surf all the time. No one asks questions, no one interviews for group or asks about gear score or whatever. Hell, plenty of people do it just to get Vigor alone, and people know that. Many zerglings don't know how to do anything other than hold W and press a skill key over and over, but over time they'll have little tastes of combat when things are more spread out, or they get caught out alone, etc.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about with Cyro being exclusionary. Toxic, yes, but exclusionary? Nah. [snip]

You kinda missed my point while actually making it here. If you want to learn how to zerg then yes Cyrodiil is indeed "fine", apart from massive performance issues that would hamper anyone's learning curve but lets keep that for the multiple performance threads. But if you want to actually learn how to pvp in a group? Then no, it isn't, it's exclusionary and elitist, finding someone who knows anything and am willing to teach means dealing with a proverbial [snip] ton of trolls and elitist, which yes are toxic as hell I agree. Cyro is highly exclusionary unless you're lucky enough to make friends with one of the few experienced players willing to teach, because youtube vids and online guides doesn't really do much for getting the actual experience of fighting in and as a group.

[edited for filter bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 5, 2020 2:22PM
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same could be applied to Random Dungeons....

I run about 10 per day... and so many PVPers trying to get CP that are simply AWFUL in there. But I don't complain, because I queued for a random - so I get what I get.

I'd be happy if the daily random for BGs gave a boost for AP instead. I'd still want to do it. I level my toons in PVP gear (even doing the daily dungeons) but I switch my skills out accordingly for both. My CP is setup for PVE since BGs don't have CP in them. It's easy enough. I teach my guildies to do the same... but many have stopped doing random BGs because queues take ages, and when they do pop, they end up in a team that doesn't seem capable of getting in 1st or 2nd... deathmatch you have some control over, since you can usually rack up enough kills to push your team into 1st or 2nd if you're good enough... but... capture the relic, chaosball, crazy king etc... much harder to do if your group is just squishy running around clueless.. lol.

I never PVP'd much before BGs... I was awful at PVP. But I started to learn in that environment VERY quickly. It's more controlled than being zerg'd down in Cyrodiil or hit by 10 members of the opposite faction in IC. It's also better than dueling because you're facing 8 different types of enemies with strategies that allow you to learn quickly how effective your build is against different play styles and classes.

Now I really enjoy BGs and enjoy PVP so much that my guild runs PVP 2 or 3 times per week... and that's thanks to random BGs and a squishy PVE-er being in there for a few weeks. Think about that for a second...