Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why can't I make improvements to armor and jewelry?

vadergirl75
vadergirl75
Soul Shriven
My friend is not able to make any improvements to armor or jewelry. Anyone else having this issue???
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have Summerset chapter?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To clarify: by improvement, do you mean upgrade in terms of quality (color)?

If so:

Does your friend have the right mats? Are they at the right station? Are the items in their inventory or at least in the bank? (Items in other characters’ inventories and house banks are not accessible at the stations.) Are the items already gold? Or locked?

If the items in question are locked, the game will not let you upgrade them without making the chance 100% to avoid the possibility of destroying them.
  • vadergirl75
    vadergirl75
    Soul Shriven
    He is a has all mats and no they are not locked or golded out. Even of he goes to a crafting table to make something he can not upgrade it. He has sent in tickets but no one has replied.
  • vadergirl75
    vadergirl75
    Soul Shriven
    And yes he has summerset.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    He is a has all mats and no they are not locked or golded out. Even of he goes to a crafting table to make something he can not upgrade it. He has sent in tickets but no one has replied.

The way you have worded your response makes me want to clarify that in order to upgrade a jewelry item, you first have to create it.

My apologies if I misunderstood and your friend is actually doing just that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he using the correct crafting table? If he is at a woodworking table, he can't upgrade jewelry from there. If on PC, does he have an add-on that is blocking it from being upgraded?
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vadergirl75 First, is this on PC or one of the console platforms? I'm not aware of any specific problems causing symptoms like this on PC, but I know nothing about what bugs might exist on consoles.

There are a bunch of basic things you and your friend should also check first - sorry if any of this seems rude or obvious, but I have no way of knowing how long you have played, and how much you know (or don't) about crafting.

1. For someone else to improve an item, it has to NOT be bound, so that you can send it to the other person (by trade or mail). Once "bound" (usually by equipping an item, altho some items are "bind on pickup"), you cannot transfer it to another player, only your own account characters (via the bank).
    2. If someone is trying to improve an existing item, they can only improve the QUALITY (green/blue/purple/gold) of the item - or add an enchantment. They cannot upgrade the LEVEL - that requires making or farming a new item - the crafting system simply doesn't allow it. This is why you normally only use blue items at best while levelling up to cp160, and then start farming some decent gear at cp160 (max level).
    3. It is possible to change the trait of an item (requires Clockwork City or a transmute station in someone's house AND 50 transmute crystals AND you have to have researched that trait on that item type), but then the item becomes bound to that person and cannot be traded back. Transmute traits yourself.
    4. If someone is trying to improve the quality of an item, they need to use the appropriate crafting station AND
    • have the item in inventory OR in their bank
    • have sufficient upgrade tempers of the quality and type appropriate for that type of item (e.g. tannins for clothing) - passives in each crafting skill line will reduce the number of tempers required quite significantly. These tempers must be in inventory, the bank, or in ESO+ craft bags.
    • AND have invested enough skill points in the appropriate quality level passive of the corresponding craft type
    • For Jewelry specifically, they must own Summerset - all other crafting types are base game and open to all.
    • Items set to "Locked" status CAN be upgraded, but require you to type "CONFIRM" to confirm this.
    5. If someone is trying to CRAFT a new item for you, much the same issues apply, but also:
    • uncheck the "have items" and "have knowledge" checkboxes at the top of the crafting interface to show if you are simply missing either one of the required materials or the selected motif knowledge type
    • Except for jewelry, you must select a racial style/motif type, AND have the corresponding style material available (or a crown store mimic stone). (You also need enough basic materials, a trait and trait stone, etc.)
    • if you are trying to craft an item from a specific craftable set, you must have first researched a specific number of traits on that item type. The number of traits needed varies by armor set type, e.g. 3 for Deaths Wind, 6 for Hunding's Rage, 9 for Twice-born Star. You also need to be either at the crafting station location in the wild, or at an attuned crafting station in someone's house.

Hopefully ONE of these issues highlights an "oops".
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on July 16, 2020 2:36AM
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    May I suggest that you can ask your friend to make some screenshots (or video) & you can post them here so we probably could get a better picture of what happening? Because sorry to say, it sound like to me your friend doesn't have any of the required tannins/tempers & platings to improve their armor & jewelry. Though it also does sounds like it's a bug of their option to select yes/confirm is grayed out for them to improve?

Though if locked (like virtus753 & Pyr0xyrecuprotite explain/mention above) the player must type "CONFIRM" or by controller press the button to accept of to improve the locked equipment. But importantly to improve locked equipment the player must have the exact amount of the improve material of it to be a perfect 100% chance rating to prevent destroying. If not, like the player only have a 75% chance, they be locked out & a message will appear in the upper right corner explaining it need to be a 100% chance to improve the locked equipment until they have the right amount. (Or the player could unlock it & hope the best it won't get destroyed!) If it's the locked case, your friend probably not paying attention to the message in the upper right corner saying it need to be a 100% chance?
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on July 16, 2020 4:21AM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    @vadergirl75 are you using a crafting addon?