Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Where do constellations fit?

Llidoryc
Llidoryc
✭✭✭
When discussing Aubris and everything within it (aedra, daedra, nirn, atherius, oblivion, etc) where do the constellations and the archetypes affiliated with the constellations fit? Aren't the stars tears in reality where the aedra departed mundus after the creation of nirn, Magnus being the largest as he was most responsible for the creation of the mortal plane?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no definitive answer, only a few contradictory stories. The "holes in the sky" story is just one of them. All the stories are incorrect to some extent. That's the way lore works.
    PC EU
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree with Raddleman. The Magna-Ge tearing the veil of Oblivion so that the light of magicka pours out on Mundus from Aetherius is the most common story. Personally, I prefer to stick to the Tribunal Temple views on the universe: the universe consists of a single plane with two ends - "this world" (the mortal one) and the "otherworld" (Oblivion), the place where the spirits of both Aedra and Daedra live. Both parts are similar in their natures with no distinct borders but with many paths leading from one end to the other. This along with something known to every mage of the School of Alteration ("reality is a falsehood. There is no such thing. Our reality is a perception of greater forces impressed upon us for their amusement. Some say that these forces are the gods, other that they are something beyond the gods") makes the world IRL the only outer realm to exist. The world where "forces .. beyond the gods" are impressed upon the denizens of Aurbis, the world of the "forces" who view Nirn only as "a perception .. for their amusement". Anyway, everyone believes in things they think are right, it is an individual choice. Perhaps those "holes in the sky leading to Aetherius" and "Aetherius is one of the three major realms of existence" concepts suit some players better than me - it's normal, not all of us are Dunmer Sorcerers there ;).
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 18, 2020 9:37PM
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    If the stars are not tears that were created when the et'ada departed then how were they formed in ESO....what are other possibilities how they can to be or what they are...spirits/memories of all that have gone before? Or if the Mundus is surrounded by Oblivion and Oblivion is surrounded by Aetherius, then could these holes/stars be a path to Oblivion, before reaching Aetherius.

Edited by Eporem on July 13, 2020 11:58AM
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    If the stars are not tears that were created when the et'ada departed then how were they formed in ESO....what are other possibilities how they can to be or what they are...spirits/memories of all that have gone before? Or if the Mundus is surrounded by Oblivion and Oblivion is surrounded by Aetherius, then could these holes/stars be a path to Oblivion, before reaching Aetherius.

Below are some of those views. Some cultures like the Khajiit view the stars as beings similar to Magna-Ge, though they never name them that way and they don't view the stars as those holes to Aetherius. The other, like the Orcs, do not have their own views on stars at all, though they may reference them in their myths (Orcish views - "Malacath's Ashpit bastion stretches endlessly across the planes, extending even behind the stars to Aetherius, granting access to every worthy Orc who crosses from this life into the next."). Some other scholars view the stars as ascended heroes.

A Yokudan creation myth - "As Satakal ate itself over and over, the strongest spirits learned to bypass the cycle by moving at strange angles. They called this process the Walkabout, a way of striding between the worldskins. Ruptga was so big that he was able to place the stars in the sky so that weaker spirits might find their way easier. This practice became so easy for the spirits that it became a place, called the Far Shores, a time of waiting until the next skin. .. He continued to place stars to map out the void for others ..".
    An Elven creation myth - "The blood of Anu became the stars"
    Khajiiti creation myth - "But the Heart of Lorkhaj was filled with the Great Darkness, and Lorkhaj tricked his siblings so that they were forced into this new place with Nirni. And many of Fadomai's children escaped and became the stars."
    High Astrologer Caecilus Bursio's interview - "St. Alessia, the First Empress, is traditionally associated with the constellation of Ths Thief, while her consort Morihaus took as his device the constellation of The Lord, and wore the Lord's Mail. So let us consider Ysmir, whose legend, as it happens, is known to me: did he ascend to the heavens to become The Warrior? That implies that the constellation was not there previously, which seems unlikely to me. Did he ascend to heaven by passing through his birthsign of The Warrior to achieve Aetherius beyond? Poetic, but possible, I suppose, at least for a figure of myth. Did Ysmir take The Warrior as his sigil because the Warrior represented his strengths, and was thus associated with that constellation even after his death (or passing, or assumption, or ascendance)? This seems to me the most likely explanation of all. However, others will certainly differ, and you may find their arguments more persuasive than mine."
    The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec, Sermon Eleven - "The splendor of stars is Ayem's domain".
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

Below are some of those views. Some cultures like the Khajiit view the stars as beings similar to Magna-Ge, though they never name them that way and they don't view the stars as those holes to Aetherius. The other, like the Orcs, do not have their own views on stars at all, though they may reference them in their myths (Orcish views - "Malacath's Ashpit bastion stretches endlessly across the planes, extending even behind the stars to Aetherius, granting access to every worthy Orc who crosses from this life into the next."). Some other scholars view the stars as ascended heroes.

A Yokudan creation myth - "As Satakal ate itself over and over, the strongest spirits learned to bypass the cycle by moving at strange angles. They called this process the Walkabout, a way of striding between the worldskins. Ruptga was so big that he was able to place the stars in the sky so that weaker spirits might find their way easier. This practice became so easy for the spirits that it became a place, called the Far Shores, a time of waiting until the next skin. .. He continued to place stars to map out the void for others ..".
    Khajiiti creation myth - "But the Heart of Lorkhaj was filled with the Great Darkness, and Lorkhaj tricked his siblings so that they were forced into this new place with Nirni. And many of Fadomai's children escaped and became the stars."
    High Astrologer Caecilus Bursio's interview - "St. Alessia, the First Empress, is traditionally associated with the constellation of Ths Thief, while her consort Morihaus took as his device the constellation of The Lord, and wore the Lord's Mail. So let us consider Ysmir, whose legend, as it happens, is known to me: did he ascend to the heavens to become The Warrior? That implies that the constellation was not there previously, which seems unlikely to me. Did he ascend to heaven by passing through his birthsign of The Warrior to achieve Aetherius beyond? Poetic, but possible, I suppose, at least for a figure of myth. Did Ysmir take The Warrior as his sigil because the Warrior represented his strengths, and was thus associated with that constellation even after his death (or passing, or assumption, or ascendance)? This seems to me the most likely explanation of all. However, others will certainly differ, and you may find their arguments more persuasive than mine."
    The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec, Sermon Eleven - "The splendor of stars is Ayem's domain".

I like that all these myths mention the stars - and I wonder if what the High Astrologer Caecilus Bursio says of the constellations is true. - When he writes that Alessia is traditionally associated with the thief, and Morihaus took as his device the constellation of the Lord - what is meant by device? - for some reason it reminded me of Sotha Sil sending memories from the Mnemonic Planisphere....and then I wondered did Allessia and Morihaus know the way of sending memories to the stars as well and the stars they picked became the Guardian ones and IF this is so:) who would have been the Mage.

Edited by Eporem on July 15, 2020 11:54PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I like that all these myths mention the stars - and I wonder if what the High Astrologer Caecilus Bursio says of the constellations is true. - When he writes that Alessia is traditionally associated with the thief, and Morihaus took as his device the constellation of the Lord - what is meant by device? - for some reason it reminded me of Sotha Sil sending memories from the Mnemonic Planisphere....and then I wondered did Allessia and Morihaus know the way of sending memories to the stars as well and the stars they picked became the Guardian ones and IF this is so:) who would have been the Mage.

In this context I think "device" means a badge:
    Your heraldic device (informally, your "coat of arms") is essentially your personal "logo"
    PC EU
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I am wondering now what stars have been mapped and named so far in this era of ESO. Would the one who drew the Constellations on Alyeid Stone have been the one to name them as well and are they the same constellations that appear in the Clockwork Calibration Guide.