The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Western Skyrim - Getting Cold/Icy Screen mechanic

Magenpie
Magenpie
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there

I just *know* this is a dumb question so I'm really sorry. xD

But...does the cold weather effect you get in certain parts of the map actually affect your character in any way? It's the frosty icy edges you get on your screen when you go to the really cold remote bits of the zone, like on the shore to the west of Solitude.

The whole thing slightly stresses me out but I haven't noticed if anything negative eventually happens to your character.

Thanks x)
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done all the quests up there yet, @Magenpie ... but thus far there has been no damage, attribute reduction, or debuff that's affected my characters.

Looks like it's for aesthetics only.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done all the quests up there yet, @Magenpie ... but thus far there has been no damage, attribute reduction, or debuff that's affected my characters.

Looks like it's for aesthetics only.

Thanks so much for replying. Well phew, then!!

Having said that, when I play Skyrim, I do use a collection of hunger/thirst/hypothermia addons, so maybe it would be fun if it did do something, but we had to provision flasks of hot chocolate or bowls of fatty meat stew to keep our temps/stamina up?

Anyway, glad I wasn't just missing something in gameplay.

Cheers! :)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magenpie wrote: »
    Hi there

I just *know* this is a dumb question so I'm really sorry. xD

But...does the cold weather effect you get in certain parts of the map actually affect your character in any way? It's the frosty icy edges you get on your screen when you go to the really cold remote bits of the zone, like on the shore to the west of Solitude.

The whole thing slightly stresses me out but I haven't noticed if anything negative eventually happens to your character.

Thanks x)

There are two things happening.

Certain water areas are cold and basically perform the same function as the Slaughterfish. You will take damage and die.

There is another cold effect that happens up in the snowy area near the delve. It looks like it is causing damage, but it is harmless, like the effect that you get during the New Life Festival after jumping in the water.
    This will go away once a side quest is completed.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus