The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need help Choosing a class

Varynthe0s
Varynthe0s
Soul Shriven
I am a returning player, it has been years, but I want to try and stick with one class, looking for one that is strong for solo play, but also would not take to much to switch to tank later on if/when I decide to give that a shot. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sought-after tanks are usually Dragonknight, Warden, or Necromancer. Any class works well for solo play.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of the popular tanking classes, I find Warden way more survivable in solo play than DK or Necro because of passive healing. But by solo play I mean vMA, the hardest solo content, and soloing harder world bosses. The rest of solo stuff is easy on any class

Wardens have really good self-healing, even Stamina Wardens. Lotus Blossom and Bond With Nature really add up to a lot of health/second without needing to actually ever cast a heal skill (which Wardens also have good access to).

I've done vMA on mag Warden, mag Necro, stam Necro, and mag DK, and mag Warden was easily the smoothest and was my first Flawless clear
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Varynthe0s
    Varynthe0s
    Soul Shriven
    I have another question as well, I watched a video hack did regarding armor sets for leveling which I started to collect Winters Respite, however, got to thinking would I need to re farm these every 10 or so levels to match my level? Sorry, it has been years since I have played.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varynthe0s wrote: »
    I have another question as well, I watched a video hack did regarding armor sets for leveling which I started to collect Winters Respite, however, got to thinking would I need to re farm these every 10 or so levels to match my level? Sorry, it has been years since I have played.

Correct.

Very few reasons to farm dropped gear lower than level 50 ... unless you're able to recycle it for a future alt character(s) who are also leveling up.

Crafted gear or vendored gear works a lot better since you can get the full 5-piece set at the same level.

I've been recycling 5-piece sets of (level 16/26/36) Ravager, Alteration Mastery, Deadly Strike, and Elf Bane for years now on new alt characters ... because those sets were/are purchasable. But crafted also works.
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a returning player, it has been years, but I want to try and stick with one class, looking for one that is strong for solo play, but also would not take to much to switch to tank later on if/when I decide to give that a shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Play Mag warden! Your bear will help you! You can run Maw of the Infernal for an extra pet as well. ;D If you want to make that toon into a tank later then you can do so, because Wardens do well at tanking. Maybe roll a dark elf so you can switch between dps/ tank roles?
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam or Mag?
    Do you like pets?
    Do you like DOTs or Direct Damage?
    Do you plan to PvP?

You really didn't give enough information for anyone to really help you.

Every class can do everything in this game. PvE solo play is also not very demanding so I wouldn't be worried about any class being at such a disadvantage solo that you can't quest, overland, do Maelstrom Arena (certainly not an issue on normal) etc. Even as far as classes there's not really a lot of disparity between them. Especially for stamina as many stamina players will have the exact same front bar from class to class.

So you need to decide what you want to do.

If you like Mag, a Sorcerer is really strong and has pretty much everything you could ever want. They make fine tanks, not the best, but wouldn't really suffer. But if you like stam, Sorc really isn't the greatest choice because they have so few stamina skills and a lot of the sorc stuff is just stuff you use passively on short cooldowns. Not the most engaging.

On the flipside if you like Stamina, the Necromancer is currently reigning supreme most people would say. That's certainly the place in PvP. But the mag necromancer is quite bad and has no redeeming qualities other than the debuff their colossus brings.

So you really need to give people a better idea what you're after. But generally speaking you can't go wrong with Mag Sorcerer or Stamina Necromancer.
  • Varynthe0s
    Varynthe0s
    Soul Shriven

Play Mag warden! Your bear will help you! You can run Maw of the Infernal for an extra pet as well. ;D If you want to make that toon into a tank later then you can do so, because Wardens do well at tanking. Maybe roll a dark elf so you can switch between dps/ tank roles?

I ended up going mag warden, I like the thought of having a pet as most other games I’ve played pet class
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamina necro is excellent solo in both pve and pvp and also tank.

Im partial to my dunmer magicka dk main though.

Magicka warden is amazing solo but depending on race could not be ideal for tanking.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go sorcerer.

Magsorcs are very strong in just about every pvp aspect. Group or solo. Heals/utility/damage

Magsorcs are hitting very high dps parse numbers on test dummys. They make good damage dealers, good enough healers and suprisingly they are good tanks.

Warden is another strong choice.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    warden is the beast. Minor and major protection in their toolkit, major expedition in toolkit... netch is amazing.
    Btw Argonian is still best for tank.
    Edited by Spartabunny08 on July 19, 2020 2:24PM
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden for sheer versatility.