The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

NIKULAS' HEAVY ARMOR: a missed opportunity

Algorax
Algorax
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone

Today i want to bring your attention on a mostly unknown set which could have a lot of potential in PVP: the Nikulas' Heavy Armor set, which you can find in the link below.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Nikulas'+Heavy+Armor+Set

I talk about this set as someone who properly farmed it and effectively used it with a dedicated build on a pvp tank. Believe me when i say that refleting sorc's crystal frags out of nowhere fells REALLY GOOD, and i have several cases of enemy players using flame clench on me while on the border of a cliff, essentially suiciding themselves when their blow unexpectedly returned to them and threw them on the abyss >:)

But i regret to say that, as far as it is concerned for the main field for which this set is planned, which is PVP, this set is unreliable.
In fact, the requirement to proc this set effect is that you are parring the moment a spell projectile hits you. Upon being hit you have 25% of chances to send it back to the caster.
This brings some severe restrictions:

1) you must be parrying in order to have the chance to reflect
2) Only direct spells projectiles are refelctable, no arrows aoes, dots
3) Provided that you are parrying the moment you are hit with the spell, and that this spell is one of the refelctable ones, you re still not sure that the spell is reflected, making this a change of a chance.

After some tought, i came to the conclusion that this set's plight could be solved by just adding some minor tweaks, finally bringing some love to this sadly forgotten set.
The possible, simplest approaches could be one of these:

1) Remove the block requirement and keep the 25% proc chance and the restriction to spell projectiles
2) Remove the proc chance and keep the block requirement and the restriction to spell projectiles (maybe causing the reflected spell to do a fraction of the normal damage, otherwise it would be too op)
3) Remove the restriction to spell projectiles and make it work on arrows and dots too while in the meantime keeping the block requirement and the 25% proc chance.

Regardless of the previous choice, we could also improve the set by increasing the proc chance to a decent, higher number.
Another nice touch, which could be balanced along with the other modifications, could be adding some sort of resource management, restoring maybe magika and/or healing you based on your max health when a spell is succesfully reflected (maybe adding a cd to this effect if the proc is guaranteed by the removal of the proc chance).

I know this set is rare as rare are proper tanks in PVP, but trust me when i say that it would be much fun to play such set. It is even now, it just need to be reshaped in order to fit its natural enviroment.

Let me know your toughts!
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set together with thews of the harbinger might be a funny troll build, but nothing more. That being said, the set can use a buff but please not make it a new wings, because then everyone will be slotting it.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »
    This set together with thews of the harbinger might be a funny troll build, but nothing more. That being said, the set can use a buff but please not make it a new wings, because then everyone will be slotting it.

Well, since the last changes thews of the harbringer alone became much more than a "troll build": i outdamage almost every dd in bgs now that it scales off your MAX HEALTH instead of current health and they brought the percentage from 4 to 6 %.
    You literally see spammers melting, and it feels just right <3

About the fact that everyone would slot it i think not because if we maintain the block requirement you will have ppl depleting their resource pool quite fast.
    But that said, ye, wings were an insanely wong skill but keep in mind that with the nikulas set you sacrifice a whole set space to get the mere chance to reflect a SELECTED kind of attack.

I am happy that ZOS did for the harbringer set what i suggested back at the time: let's just hope they will have the same approach with this set...
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must bring this discussion back to the attention of the playerbase: it really is a wasted opportunity...