Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Notice to murderers: am I the only one who finds the black fraternity logo "nerd"?

Khatou
Khatou
✭✭✭✭
I love all the games that have that killer gameplay and usually I think the logos are really cool, but in elder scrolls, I think it's as cheesy as can be.

The guys really didn't have much imagination, I would have much preferred the black blade logo, which is already more sought after, than a ridiculous hand, especially since the hand is just the structure side of the organization and can be representative I think for the brotherhood.

Do you think like me? and do you think it would deserve a makeover or not?

• Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite like it, but I can see where you're coming from.

I found this on the wiki that I thought was pretty cool:
    The Black Hand is the ruling body of the Dark Brotherhood.[1] It is made up of five members: four Speakers (index, middle, ring and little fingers) and a Listener (thumb).[2] Less well known, even by members of the Dark Brotherhood, is that each Speaker also employs a Silencer, which represent the nails of the four fingers
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, we're not nerdy. We're the edgy kids wearing black and red, with the secret handshake, murdering people for our mother!

(What Stanx said. If you haven't played TES IV Oblivion, the Black Hand is a major part of the Dark Brotherhood's plotline. Plus, in Skyrim, its absolutely iconic.)

Mysterious_Note_01.png
  • debesyla
    debesyla
    ✭✭✭
    What? Blade would be so cliche!
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    debesyla wrote: »

Fully agreed. Maybe the hand is a bit nerdy, but a blade would be so cliche and not an actual improvement. At least the hand thing is a little novel.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely. I mean, in Oblivion we got to kill someone by dropping a decorative minotaur head on them. Its not all stabby stabby.
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely. I mean, in Oblivion we got to kill someone by dropping a decorative minotaur head on them. Its not all stabby stabby.

+1 for falling decorative minotaur head logo
  • Khatou
    Khatou
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stanx wrote: »
    I quite like it, but I can see where you're coming from.

I found this on the wiki that I thought was pretty cool:
    The Black Hand is the ruling body of the Dark Brotherhood.[1] It is made up of five members: four Speakers (index, middle, ring and little fingers) and a Listener (thumb).[2] Less well known, even by members of the Dark Brotherhood, is that each Speaker also employs a Silencer, which represent the nails of the four fingers

don't worry, I know well the hierarchical structure (if you can call it that way ^^) of the black brotherhood :pensive:

"Cliche" ? so you could say that playing dagger is cliche ? yet nobody minds playing like that !

to take you back :p
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khatou wrote: »
    I would have much preferred the black blade logo, which is already more sought after, than a ridiculous hand, especially since the hand is just the structure side of the organization and can be representative I think for the brotherhood.

Are you defaming the traditional black hand motif that brought us the BACKHANDER staff?
    Assassins-Legacy-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

Below is a different symbolic representation of the Dark Brotherhood. Some people find it a great furnishing but find the symbolism a bit on-the-nose and not that original for an assassins league
    eso-brotherhood-stained-glass-window-768x799.jpg

Edit: fixed pictures
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on July 5, 2020 11:54AM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Khatou
    Khatou
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khatou wrote: »
    I would have much preferred the black blade logo, which is already more sought after, than a ridiculous hand, especially since the hand is just the structure side of the organization and can be representative I think for the brotherhood.

Are you defaming the traditional black hand motif that brought us the BACKHANDER staff?
    Assassins-Legacy-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

Yes! I admit it. :blush:
    Below is a different symbolic representation of the Dark Brotherhood. Some people find it a great furnishing but find the symbolism a bit on-the-nose and not that original for an assassins league
    eso-brotherhood-stained-glass-window-768x799.jpg

Edit: fixed pictures

Shame on me for forgetting that one too, it's always better than seeing a simple hand that a 2 year old child could do :D

• bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    <remain silent>

That said surprised no one has said: "talk to the hand" yet in this thread.

I don't know if its nerdy, we all appear to be playing the game, are we really in any place to be making that call? plenty of people would call us nerdy just for saying we play ESO or video games in general, I ignore those people and do what I want they are entitled to their opinions, at the end of the day that is all they are their opinions not mine.

At this point its been in the games since Oblivion, so I don't really pay the symbol much mind can't fault them with staying consistent with past games at least in this case.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's far more original than most fantasy assassin guilds. And the logo sigil has far more lore behind it than a random dagger.

Besides, we do have the dagger covered, by the Blade of Woe.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    That said surprised no one has said: "talk to the hand" yet in this thread.

23b81ce28c3a450463b02ad27f373d9e.gif
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I know we were all hoping for an electric purple dragon doing a kick flip on a skateboard while shredding on a Flying V against a lurid backdrop of lightning bolts, but nothing is ever going to be that sick.
    Edited by SickleCider on July 5, 2020 2:33PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's far more original than most fantasy assassin guilds. And the logo sigil has far more lore behind it than a random dagger.

Besides, we do have the dagger covered, by the Blade of Woe.

It's also more unique and recognisable in-universe for the same reasons.

Loads of people and organisations in Tamriel use daggers, and could be represented by a dagger but the Black Hand logo is instantly recognisable as the Dark Brotherhood.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the Black Hand italian mafia?
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that "black hand" symbol is only for their stationary and notes and for writs of assassination.
    the Dark Brotherhood's Night Mother, that lived during the Second Era, as indicated in the in-game book "The Brothers of Darkness".
    her tomb had a tapestry hanging near the entrance depicting skeletal remains of one adult and five children in her tomb.
    if there was to be an actual dark brotherhood logo, it would be the Night Mother and / or she and her children as shown here below with the tapestry which depicts our beloved Mother and immediate blood, five children.

180?cb=20141123115508
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the image was alterd and distorted during the skyrim .... timeline

latest?cb=20080314192930
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    that "black hand" symbol is only for their stationary and notes and for writs of assassination.
    the Dark Brotherhood's Night Mother, that lived during the Second Era, as indicated in the in-game book "The Brothers of Darkness".
    her tomb had a tapestry hanging near the entrance depicting skeletal remains of one adult and five children in her tomb.
    if there was to be an actual dark brotherhood logo, it would be the Night Mother and / or she and her children as shown here below with the tapestry which depicts our beloved Mother and immediate blood, five children.

180?cb=20141123115508

OcJXGsVwGGAcrBtzWvW1RziC7lKZZIxwKsm08b6nk4qibgyCR7Qkw9w-zRgg0xrXddqDcIiogdqPFNaEzhJuBZCQDHTaBj58yfCegtwNKjRhien9UgNH43ls_0-0oZg_0PBj38s3OMlC9a9sJw
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait...are we saying being a nerd is a bad thing?
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though, no. I don't really find anything wrong with their symbol personally.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    180?cb=20141123115508

That's not the Night Mother, that's Veloth leading the Chimer to Resdayn (which later became Morrowind).

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always found it quite original and much better than what some boring knife would be. That sounds terribly cheesy and cliché.

The Dark Brotherhood is also inspired by several real world organisations who have used the name "The Black Hand". So why not make the reference and their symbol literal? It's mysterious, doesn't scream "edgy assassins", and is great to make hand related puns.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wake up and find a piece of parchment with a black hand on it you know what it means. Most corporations would kill for that kind of logo recognition.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE the hand it’s just fully loaded as is.

1) To outsides it’s simple yet unmistakable

2) To members it’s a reminder of their true space and who runs the show

3) It can be used to strike fear in the hearts of all who see it quickly after a kill just dip your hand in their blood and touch the wall or door.

All of this from a hand prints made of blood it’s just great.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Black hand is nerdy? I'd say using something generic like blade or skull would be far more nerdy and "edgy". Black hand has a long history of appearing in TES games and is ambiguous enough to be a symbol for a secret assassin organization. It always annoyed me in AC games for example that they woer their really specific and hard to mistake for something else symbol openly on their clothes. Here you just can't be sure, is it a Dark Brotherhood assassin or maybe just someone who didn't have any tissues and wiped their hand on their clothes? ;)
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Remains Silent>.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought too hard about whether the logo of a guild is as good as it could be. I actually like it. But i would really like to voice my displeasure with the amount of smoke that comes out of the Skooma bubblers and the sweetrolls really should have about 10% more icing on them. And khajiits need one more whisker on each cheek. They just don't look right with the number of whiskers they have now. Devs must have been sleeping.