The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New Player Where to start?? Plz help

AZZBO81
AZZBO81
Soul Shriven
I'm just going through Skyrim and can't believe its taken me this long to jump in. I'm console player and once iv finished Skyrim I want to jump into eso, but it is daunting I would not know where to start... any advice be greatly Appreciated,
Side note I do own Tamriel that I brought few years ago..
  • vivi_phoenix
    vivi_phoenix
    Soul Shriven
    First, I would start by making sure to choose the faction that you find most interesting to you. Figure out your type of game style you prefer, and if you want to roleplay or follow the lore of a particular kind of race/faction, that can be a deciding factor in your selection.

After you finish the first required quests, I recommend either find a buddy to help you out and continue questing, join a guild that offers help in questing, or level up your toon at the dolmens and use experience potions or scrolls. Because as you quest along, the quests continue to get more and more difficult doing it solo on a low-level toon.

Get in a guild trader as soon as possible so that you can sell things and make gold to save up for future gear or materials that you might need. Also, be sure always to have something researching at the clothing/jewelry/blacksmithing/woodworking stations. That way, you can craft your needed gear along the way or sell it.

Take advantage of the free house that you get and the chest that comes along with it for storing your items and make sure to upgrade your inventory when you have sufficient gold to do so.

Join a guild for PVE, Guild trader, PVP, Questing, Social, and try one of each and see what interests you the most. Many of these guilds offer skyshard hunting and other activities throughout the week, be sure to read the description of those guilds before applying. Also, don't feel obligated to stay in those guilds. Feeling comfortable and having a good time with other guildies is also very important in the MMO experience. Also, I recommend starting at a casual guild and slowly move to a balanced guild (between hardcore and casual), then when you're more experienced, try out a hardcore guild to see which playstyle you prefer.

Make sure to ask questions in the guild chat and join their discord communities and ask there. You'd be surprised how many players are willing to help newer players out. I hope you enjoy ESO as much as I have, this has been my first MMO game, and even though I prefer playing at Cyrodiil, I'm sure you will find something that you enjoy as well as there is so much to do at Tamriel. In the end, it's about your experience and having a fun time. :)
    Edited by vivi_phoenix on July 6, 2020 12:01AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO! The game has grown a great deal over the years and it can be confusing. Finishing Skyrim is fine since you are already on that course. From there, I'd go to the original game's main quest which starts you in Coldharbour. Basically, I like doing the content in the order in which it was released.

I think you'll fine @VaranisArano 's wonderful guide on which order to consider doing things helpful: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide/p1
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Keledus
    Keledus
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVHzHXTWpM&t=1305s

This guide contains everything you'll ever need to start out. It's 3 hours and 14 mins long but dont look at that.
    I do not recommend watching the entire 3 hours and 14 mins, it's very overwhelming as a new player because there is just so much in the game to know. just.. Go to the description, read the contents and whatever you want click on the timestamp. And it will skip the video to the point where he explains that specific subject.
    Edited by Keledus on July 8, 2020 11:30AM
    PC - EU
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take your time. Explore a lot. Don't stress on leveling.

Don't try to farm endgame-level sets until you hit level CP 160

Money is the easiest thing to get in this game, don't be afraid to spend it. Spending it on cheap housing is the best, as it gives you a free travel point. The pack/bag upgrade is second most important.

Deconstruct anything you don't need. You can always get it back. There is no gear that is a one-time-only thing.

Avoid PVP until you know what the skills do and how to play. You will get absolutely annihilated, and primarily because you are way too low a level and for reasons too numerous to list here.

Have fun. This is supposed to be fun.

Remember, this is NOT Skyrim. It is totally different from how you played Skyrim.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came from Skyrim wanting a Skyrim replacement for lockdown some months back.

The most confusing thing I found is that they added all the updates and expansions on top of the base game and you start in them. As soon as you get the 'hooded figure' main quest prompt go follow it and then the story and game fall into place rather better.

You can certainly play it in the Skyrim style and just follow the quests and story, I did that for a long time, then later got into dragon-bashing, crafting and now finally into guilds and group stuff.

Also don't worry too much about all the online stuff about character optimization, builds and the like - it's all end game stuff and by the time you get there you'll have been given the right scrolls that you can adjust your character if you want.

Some of the social guilds are also very helpful.
    Too many toons not enough time