The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Backbar losing 10% crit

Gabbagul
Gabbagul
✭✭✭
So, a few weeks ago, my character had a crit rate of 60.6% using her yellow precise flame staff with a +7% crit. Now, for some reason, when she equips it instead of her yellow sharpened lightning staff, her crit rate actually DECREASES by 3% to 50.6%, instead of raising 7% to 60.6%. Something definitely broke, and I definitely do not want to reinvest to replace a broken item, if it will do the same thing again.
Edited by Gabbagul on July 27, 2020 4:31PM
  • Gabbagul
    Gabbagul
    ✭✭✭
    Playing around with front bar and back bar on multiple toons, I've realized I poorly jumped to the wrong conclusion. This is happening on multiple toons, but not all. And whatever staff is equipped on the backbar is losing 10% crit. Different staves, different toons, different traits... the only thing in common was swapping item to backbar dropped crit 10%.
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Staff part of a Set Piece? Which maybe gives Critical change like Mothers Sorrow staff?
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you’ve got inner light on your bar

It’s bugged and reduces your crit (this happened a couple of patches ago)
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

Wasn’t that shown to be a UI error, though? It says your crit is lower, but when you test it with CMX on a dummy, you can see there are the right number of crits.

ETA: OP, if you’re on PC/Mac, try testing on a dummy with Combat Metrics. If I remember right, the crit rate can be misreported even in the CMX stats, so you will have to count the number of crit hits and divide by the total number of hits to find your true crit rate. Let us know if that percentage is about what you expect (which means it’s just a UI error) or if it’s being accurately reported (in which case something more is going on).
    Edited by virtus753 on July 28, 2020 7:09PM
  • Gabbagul
    Gabbagul
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Staff part of a Set Piece? Which maybe gives Critical change like Mothers Sorrow staff?

Yes, it's the Vampire Lord's set, and the 4th item bonus is crit. (Both staves are from that set, so it should be engaging that 4th and 5th bonus at all times, whichever staff is currently equipped.)
  • Gabbagul
    Gabbagul
    ✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

Nope, neither of the toons it's happening on have inner light slotted.
  • Gabbagul
    Gabbagul
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    ETA: OP, if you’re on PC/Mac, try testing on a dummy with Combat Metrics. If I remember right, the crit rate can be misreported even in the CMX stats, so you will have to count the number of crit hits and divide by the total number of hits to find your true crit rate. Let us know if that percentage is about what you expect (which means it’s just a UI error) or if it’s being accurately reported (in which case something more is going on).

A solid troubleshooting step, I'll see what I can discover, thanks.