The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

On Lyris joining EP.

nemvar
nemvar
✭✭✭✭✭
I may have missed it but why exactly is Lyris part of the ebonheart pact, even going so far as to referring to Jorunns as her king.
Isn't she a loyal member of the imperial legion? Why did she enlist in the ranks of what should usurpers and separatists to her? From all we know there were other options, for example the fighters guild or even Svagrimm available to her if all she wanted to do is help Skyrim.

So why would she ever join a faction that actively engages in the three banners war?

Well... maybe it's the same reason Sai Sahan recruited some random smugglers instead of taking the nearest mage guild to his school of elite warriors...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyris is a Nord. She was part of the original five companions because she was a trusted adviser to Varen Aquilarios, but she is still a Nord.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She used to be the Emperor's bodyguard. He's now either dead or gone, so she's presumably free to decide what to do with herself. She's a Nord, so perhaps she decided to embrace that part of her service, rather than the legions who weren't always very accepting of her.

Plus, depending on your decision at the end of the MQ, she
    may have gone to Sovngarde, if you sacrificed her.
    embracing her Nord heritage makes a certain amount of sense after that.
  • MarshRangerHaz
    Jorunn's not just the king of the Pact, he rules over a significant portion of Skyrim. He's the king of lots of people who might not care about the 3 banners war - which apparently includes Lyris.

Indeed, many members of the Pact might not care about the war, but instead join the organisation for the things it represents (freedom, solidarity etc.) or the areas it controls (Skyrim, Morrowind, northern Black Marsh). There are even some mentions in later DLCs (post MSQ timeline) which suggests that the war is easing up, or at least not being as much of a big deal.

As for the Legion, lots of previously loyal troops have deserted after the current iteration of the legion came into being i.e a puppet state/army controlled ultimately by necromancers and daedra. The ultra-loyalist core of the legion now is Legion Zero, so it's not hard to see why other troops might see those guys and think "no thanks".

• Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly its kind of telling that someone like Lyris isn't in Cyrodiil but rather sent on special missions for High King Jorunn.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nemvar wrote: »
    I may have missed it but why exactly is Lyris part of the ebonheart pact, even going so far as to referring to Jorunns as her king.

You haven't missed it alone, OP - so many of us missed it too because that dialogue line appears when you meet Lyris for the first time during a quest. Thanks to the devs who created that small detail and to the UESP guys for they have documented it, otherwise too many of us would have never known it: "Name's Lyris Titanborn. Axe-wielding, jaw-breaking friend to the former emperor, Varen Aquilarios. Also a friend of High King Jorunn. I sailed here as a personal favor to the Skald-King. Remind me to avoid personal favors in the future.".

They are friends, this is the reason she works for him and thus for the Pact. It's just the very same way we join House Dres after we make friends with it's Grandmaster Omin Dres and are named the Hands of Dres.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 2, 2020 7:05PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe she's a card carrying member of the Pact, however she is a Nord and she's loyal, or at least honor bound to serving King Jorunn, who happens to be the Pact High King. Lyris is connected to the Pact by association. I don't remember her literally saying she fights for the Pact.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭
    She was loyal to Varen not the empire as a whole
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this source which seems to clear up some of her history and motivations: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57943