The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Game Engine

Sargesgaming
Sargesgaming
✭✭✭
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/ There you go zos, and its free..years ahead of the engine you are running on and will def last years more, did I say it was free and better
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ESO runs off the Hero engine and I doubt it'd be easy or financial feasible to suddenly change game engines overnight. Free or not there are other factors that go into these decisions.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    It is based off the Hero Engine, but they did re build upon that to create a custom engine, I want to say in 2015? Using Havok physics...either way they dumped a ton of money into a server that does less than a free alternative that we could do better with on a laptop at home lmao.

Im just a tired old player with a grumpy attitude towards anything they do, and if it doesnt have to do with the crown store then I doubt they would be willing to change\fix\modify or otherwise to any part of this game.

I literally sent in a ticket about one of the bosses not completing for the achievement in the Sewers, they replied with "just keep killing it until it works"
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not free. It costs considerable time and money to convert a game to a new engine. Far from a simple update.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Rich has the tech guy downloading a patch to the servers right now, You will login tomorrow with an Unreal logo.

Sorry just faced palmed so hard i gave myself a minor concussion.
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong work. Lol.

I have dubbed it, “The Little Engine That Couldn’t” in past posts, and really believe this is at the crux of the, “hold onto the existing systemic limitations and push mini-game content” VS. actually use an engine that can process all of this awesome math! (read: actually proc the intended set / enchant / skill tool tips in solo & group settings) - y’know, like, umm... EVERY engine that has existed since.

This game could legit exist forever if they just fixed the root with such a readily-available solution.

S.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cost money.
    Would cut profits.
    Won't happen because, greed.
    Move along.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ue isn't free. There is a cap to free.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • slipciok
    slipciok
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.heroengine.com/he-games

ESO is on Hero engine, not any custom. Is just Hero engine.
  • slipciok
    slipciok
    ✭✭✭
    BTW looking on list games using Hero engine I see only hits, only great game like ESO.
    Edited by slipciok on July 1, 2020 5:05AM
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    slipciok wrote: »
    BTW looking on list games using Hero engine I see only hits, only great game like ESO.

Actually it was said by the team itself before the game even was released that they would be using hero engine as a tool for learning and a base then customizing into their own engine
  • slipciok
    slipciok
    ✭✭✭

Actually it was said by the team itself before the game even was released that they would be using hero engine as a tool for learning and a base then customizing into their own engine

ESO team say many things, and many of things they want hide. Like this engine.
    I trust more company that made engine and they have on their web page information ESO use Hero engine, then some Zenimax randoms.

• RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/ There you go zos, and its free..years ahead of the engine you are running on and will def last years more, did I say it was free and better

First of all, Unreal engine is NOT free for commercial publishing and publisher needs to pay 5% royalty fee the moment the product is monetised or offered as off the shelf product.

Since the The royalty is ongoing fee and calculated by applying the fixed percentage to the adjusted gross sales, we are probably talking hundreds of thousands if not millions.

And in general, just to switch engine, I'll also facepalm myself to concussion.
    You are aware that it is practically eso2 built from scratch?

Edited by RefLiberty on July 1, 2020 6:29AM
  • Shelith
    Shelith
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't know what a engine does should not suggest to change the engine. It's not that every engine works with every game you know? It's not that simple. Engines are made for specific reasons and there are things they can do and things they can't.

Just because you saw a video of the UE looking good, it's not automatically a good Engine for the game.
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭

ESO team say many things, and many of things they want hide. Like this engine.
    I trust more company that made engine and they have on their web page information ESO use Hero engine, then some Zenimax randoms.

You cant say you dont trust and then you do trust in the same sentence, sorry that isnt how it works.
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »

First of all, Unreal engine is NOT free for commercial publishing and publisher needs to pay 5% royalty fee the moment the product is monetised or offered as off the shelf product.

Since the The royalty is ongoing fee and calculated by applying the fixed percentage to the adjusted gross sales, we are probably talking hundreds of thousands if not millions.

And in general, just to switch engine, I'll also facepalm myself to concussion.
    You are aware that it is practically eso2 built from scratch?

It would def be interesting, obviously this is kind of an off branded sideways joke towards the engine in the first place in reality they need to absolutely redo the servers, software is a def must and if they built it right with updated and modern platform then it would do alot better, they chose not to do that. Obviously I know UE isnt free that would be obsurd, I am the one that linked the damn thing. I was just making a point, we dont have to be dumb.
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Matt Firor in an interview from May 2012:

"... while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us ..."

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    andreasv wrote: »

"... while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us ..."

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

Thats what I was looking for, thank you
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... and yet, when you install the game... first comes the Bethesda Softworks logo, then the Zenimax Online logo, then "Powered by Hero Engine", then Havok. Now, could be licensing issues and derivative works, but that is an awful lot of credit for a game engine that they used for a whiteboard. Sort of misleading, actually, if that is all it was.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kmufc77b16_ESO
    kmufc77b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, the game development started off with the Hero engine, then as time went on ZOS developed it into there own custom engine. SWTOR is also listed on the Hero Engine website, again Bioware started off with the Hero engine and then over time made it there own engine.

So yes its the Hero engine at the core, but its been heavily modified by ZOS and Bioware etc.
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

... and yet, when you install the game... first comes the Bethesda Softworks logo, then the Zenimax Online logo, then "Powered by Hero Engine", then Havok. Now, could be licensing issues and derivative works, but that is an awful lot of credit for a game engine that they used for a whiteboard. Sort of misleading, actually, if that is all it was.

here is the thing, they used it, based their customized engine on top of it and still have contracted with that engine in order to use it in the first place...ofcourse they would have to give credit, they have to have a license for use and what not ... its pretty easy to put that all together, especially when that is exactly what they have said!
  • Sargesgaming
    Sargesgaming
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror What engine does ZoS use for the game? Lets just see what happens with this lmao
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UE5 be like, "more like zero engine"
    love is love
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror What engine does ZoS use for the game? Lets just see what happens with this lmao

i5s8b.jpg
  • catnamedwill
    catnamedwill
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, if you guys know but part of multiple different engines can be assembled together to work in a custom engine. I believe ESO uses a custom engine which still has parts of Hero Engine in it.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's Hero engine!" "No, it's custom!" "No, it's Hero engine".....

Pretty much any real project that starts with an off-the-shelf engine, will add tweaks & customizations to make it fit better into their particular project. So, yes. It's Hero engine, and it's customized. They're not mutually exclusive.

(Similar to how the "Creation Engine" they used in Skyrim/FO4 is just the end result of continually tweaking the Gamebryo engine Beth originally licensed.)
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    It is not free. It costs considerable time and money to convert a game to a new engine. Far from a simple update.

Probably even harder if its based on customizations of another engine.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's Hero engine!" "No, it's custom!" "No, it's Hero engine".....

Pretty much any real project that starts with an off-the-shelf engine, will add tweaks & customizations to make it fit better into their particular project. So, yes. It's Hero engine, and it's customized. They're not mutually exclusive.

I am sure it is exactly that, but the 2012 comment from Firor suggested that what ZOS was doing was not building on Hero Engine, but building an entirely new engine. That it was not like what BGS did with Gamebryo.

(I think it is exactly the same thing, just with Hero Engine instead of Gamebryo)

• eKsDee
    eKsDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very logic that people are using to refute moving current ESO over to a new engine also stands for moving early ESO away from Hero. You can't just start writing a game as big as an MMO, build it up organically within an engine, then just move to a different engine in the snap of a finger, even if it was a custom engine. It just doesn't work that way.

What likely happened is they started developing early ESO in Hero, and over time just rewrote and redesigned different parts of Hero to better suit ESO and themselves, leaving them/us with a heavily modified version of Hero that's technically still Hero, but can't really be considered Hero.

This isn't that uncommon with publicly available engines, either. Lots of studios that develop their games in engines like Unreal and Unity just naturally modify the engines to better suit their games.

Bioshock Infinite is an excellent example that immediately comes to mind, it's running on a heavily modified version of UE3 that features a completely custom physics system to handle the floating islands and such.

Hell, Unity is practically designed to be modified. Every aspect of it is modular, and it starts you off on a fairly clean slate that really needs some DIY work done to it before you start making a serious project.