The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it worth it to build for high weapon and spell damage?

Nova_J
Nova_J
✭✭✭✭
It seems that high crit dps is better than having raw sppel or weapon damage. Is that the only really viable/ decent way to get high damage? I've never seen anyone make a high weapon and spell damage build with low crit and hit the same numbers as someone who does the opposite. I'd like to see more options outside of crit builds, it's getting pretty stale.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trassian Stranglers is a crit builds new best friend, best of both worlds, i can stact almost 90% crit with 8-9k spell damage with a full stack TS
  • Nova_J
    Nova_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trassian Stranglers is a crit builds new best friend, best of both worlds, i can stact almost 90% crit with 8-9k spell damage with a full stack TS

So theres no point in trying to pick between the two?
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nova_J wrote: »

So theres no point in trying to pick between the two?

imo if you are going to stack then crit is the best option (PVE) but with TS you get a nice lift on the damage also just makes things hit extra nice, think i get my deadric tombs critting for about 90k currently
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVP going for more raw damage seems to work better and throws people off who are used to fighting crit builds by equipping lots of impenetrable gear. If you combine a 40%-50% crit chance with a lot of damage sets, as well as max mag/stam and spell/weapon damage stacking you can burn down other players incredibly fast.

Of course in PVE crit builds reign supreme.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Nova_J
    Nova_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    In PVP going for more raw damage seems to work better and throws people off who are used to fighting crit builds by equipping lots of impenetrable gear. If you combine a 40%-50% crit chance with a lot of damage sets, as well as max mag/stam and spell/weapon damage stacking you can burn down other players incredibly fast.

Of course in PVE crit builds reign supreme.

That's how I run my stamcro, he has around 5k weapon and spell damage but low crit.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. In pvp spell/wpn damage can be more beneficial than crit, since everyone is stacking crit resistances.

For pve, crit is basically king when it comes to damage, but you also do need as high spell/wpn damage as you can get. And stacking and building into that can also do really well depending on the build.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play mostly solo builds in PvE where I stack crits all day but in PvP I go weapon dmg with extra penetration instead.

Stacking crits in PvE is just to burn stuff down faster even though the PvP setup also works. The same is not true the other way around. Without the penetration and weapon dmg I have more trouble getting kills.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Typically it is Crit for PVE and raw damage for PVP.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just math, you have a lot of in-build damage (max resource + damage of weapon + jewelry glyphs), while "free crit" is only 10% base+9% from CP+~10% from armor +10% from major savagery/prophecy.

And 5*5 is more then 4*6, and 6*6 more then 5*7... but they are "more" only on few %, so really it is not fixed in stone, you may run high spell damage build and dps might be almost the same.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on June 27, 2020 9:21AM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crit is better in endgame builds and groups. In a dungeon group or solo you will hit more with stats than crit, or just about the same, depends. I for example compared Julianos and Mother's Sorrow, changed absolutely nothing except 5 body pieces of these sets, and dps was pretty much the same, maybe 500+/- from a parse to another

edit: i did try complete crit build, with precise weapon thief mundus and all that, and dps was still the same with either set. But in a group where you have more crit and more buffs, like the endgame content and groups specified, you might do better. So if you don't care for endgame leaderboard scores, pick whatever you like.
    Edited by Sergykid on June 28, 2020 8:29PM
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    crit is better in endgame builds and groups. In a dungeon group or solo you will hit more with stats than crit, or just about the same, depends. I for example compared Julianos and Mother's Sorrow, changed absolutely nothing except 5 body pieces of these sets, and dps was pretty much the same, maybe 500+/- from a parse to another

edit: i did try complete crit build, with precise weapon thief mundus and all that, and dps was still the same with either set. But in a group where you have more crit and more buffs, like the endgame content and groups specified, you might do better. So if you don't care for endgame leaderboard scores, pick whatever you like.

I feel like crits benefit the stam classes more than magicka. I don’t have concrete data to back that up however it’s just an overall feeling from my own experience. I went to a full crit build on my stam toon and picked up ~3K DPS. Doing the same thing on my mag toon I didn’t pick up anything. Haven’t tried too much outside of that because I’m comfortable with where both toons are at right now.
  • Zanderscotxub17_ESO
    IMO A warden would make the best option to do this magika and stamina heals together but lower crit. I been toying with the idea to do Thrassian Strangler + Pelinal's Aptitude + whatever ( Soldier of Anguish) with a Warden WW for PVP /side quest. It seems like it will fit my playstyle worth a try if it work out ill post something.
    Edited by Zanderscotxub17_ESO on June 29, 2020 12:17PM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO A warden would make the best option to do this magika and stamina heals together but lower crit. I been toying with the idea to do Thrassian Strangler + Pelinal's Aptitude + whatever ( Soldier of Anguish) with a Warden WW for PVP /side quest. It seems like it will fit my playstyle worth a try if it work out ill post something.

Its possible to build with Thrassian Stranglers and achieve Spell damage of around 9,000 with full stacks. This can be done with crit for the build at normal levels, i.e 60+%. Weve been running multiple vet dungeons, including on hard mode, using this set up (with x2 dps with Stranglers). Stuff just gets deleted.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pvp yes of course.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In end game PvE, the uptime on buffs like major force and minor force are pretty high. This means that your crits hit harder, and if you crit more you do more damage. That's why crit sets are preferred in end game PvE.
    EU PC