The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where are the places you can log off safely?

Angor
Angor
Hello fellow players of the elder scrolls online. I started playing this game done some small quest zones and when I am done with my gaming session like everybody else I log off.
But out in the open world you get 10 second timer and its also possibly dangerous.
I tried logging off within the stros mkai and bethnik inns but strange enough I also get a 10 second timer there.
The only place where I did not get a timer when I tried to logg off was within a inn in daggerfall.
So can anybody tell is this normal can I only log off "safely" within some major city? or are there other places where this is possible?
PS: I searched the knowledge base within game and could not find it also checked there official site and could not find it.

Best Answer

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most cities are designated safe areas for logging out. I think the notice is more to prevent someone from standing on top of spots mobs spawn so they do not get killed right after they log in. Much of the area of any zone is well outside of the agro radius of trash mobs.

In other words, nothing to worry about.
    Answer ✓
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter, you can logoff in the middle of overland and it's safe. I haven't figured out the timer thing and why sometimes it's instant and other it's not.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Years ago, there used to be a bug where you couldn't log off AT ALL unless you were within a major city. I'm assuming anything outside of a major city will give you the countdown.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can log off safely literally anywhere you like.

The timer is irrelevant. As far as I can tell its just so you can cancel the log off if you like, which I have had cause to do many times... you remember you havnt trained the horse or deconstructed/researched gear or handed that quest in etc.
  • Angor
    Angor
    I have had 3 replies to this post but none of them give a clear answer. 2 of them tell me does not matter and 1 "assumes" only within major cities although I am starting to believe the same that its only possible within major cities.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    The clear answer is "It doesn't matter" It's safe to log off anywhere you want to. You will lose nothing, there is no danger.

I have logged out in delves, dungeons, at world bosses, in pvp, in the middle of overland, pretty much everywhere.

Why are you under the impression this is not 'safe' or it's 'dangerous'?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The clear answer is "It doesn't matter" It's safe to log off anywhere you want to. You will lose nothing, there is no danger.

I have logged out in delves, dungeons, at world bosses, in pvp, in the middle of overland, pretty much everywhere.

You could log out in a spot where mobs could be. When you log back in you could be dead when you get out of the load screen but there's no penalty for dying in ESO.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

You could log out in a spot where mobs could be. When you log back in you could be dead when you get out of the load screen but there's no penalty for dying in ESO.

Yeah I couldn't really tell if that's what they were worried about or if they thought it wouldn't save or something.
  • Angor
    Angor
    To anwser your question @r3turn2s3nd3r I am not worried I was trying to explain a situation.
    There are other mmorpg that if you log off within there inn or city or whatever you get bonus xp for example.
    And what I have been able to gather through playing and 1 comment here is that in most towns/city's in the first big zone I can log off instantly and anywhere else has 10 second timer....
    And maybe it "does not matter" but I have learned from this.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The timer thing is to prevent you from avoiding combat by logging out.

Anywhere that mobs don't aggro you is considered safe, timer or not. Of course the mobs may not have spawned at your particular location.

The only really dangerous way to log off is to just force close the game. You may log back to a corpse, not really a big deal. The big issue is, the game may keep you logged in for hours while your food and exp scrolls expire.
    Edited by Nestor on June 26, 2020 3:58PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The timer is nothing to do with whether you're in a safe area or not. If you're not currently being attacked then you're safe, although if you think enemies might spawn there you could move into a corner or something. There's absolutely no need to go all the way to an inn, especially not in a major town just to log out.

Even if you do get killed it's not a big deal, you just respawn and carry on. Sooner or later you'll need to repair your armour, but it's not expensive.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"