The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Counters to stamcro

MartiniDaniels
MartiniDaniels
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As returning player after 4 months of hiatus I clearly see that things on which I relied for defense - roll-dodge and healing, don't work against new blastbones... not calling for nerfs, just looking for tips, from those who fought with stamcro all this time :D I play 2H/bow or 2H/S&B

So my current ideas:
- stage 3 vampire with new undeath. Since you are under permanent major defile, decreased health recovery doesn't mean much
- major vitality+armor+health pots (those are relatively cheap, powdered pearl not needed)
- blocking blastbones with mist
- minor brutality poisons? (Kristofer style)
- maybe trying to stun/immobilize blastbones, for example eternal hunt trap at place where they spawn or even maybe fighter's guild trap?

So what works for you?
  • Dovahmiim
    Dovahmiim
    ✭✭✭
    There is no counter, just avoid them (especially if outnumbered). If they are even half as good as you, they'll kill you.
    ZOS is aware it is a broken OP class (at least the stam version), but that is what sells expansions, so expect it to stay OP until a few patches down the line.
    I'm better.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dovahmiim wrote: »
    There is no counter, just avoid them (especially if outnumbered). If they are even half as good as you, they'll kill you.
    ZOS is aware it is a broken OP class (at least the stam version), but that is what sells expansions, so expect it to stay OP until a few patches down the line.

Looks true, because I just felt completely outclassed, on a build which was pretty decent against all others I met yesterday.. but it just feels weird to run from somebody.. If somebody is looking for 1v1, I am used to engage immediately :D I don't mind losing to perfect combo or interesting build with unexpected rotation, but when somebody just negates your healing it feels bad.

Additional idea: maybe Pirate Skeleton? You won't be hurt by major Defile if you are already major defiled. So just play defensively before it procs, then go all-in for 10 seconds, something like that. It was somewhat buffed:

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor
    (2 items) When you take damage to your Health, you have a 10% chance to transform into a skeleton and gain Major Protection and Major Defile for 10 seconds, reducing your damage taken by 30% but reducing your healing received and Health Recovery by 30%. This effect can occur once every 15 seconds.

I think major protection+minor protection+ new undeath = almost immortal to what stamcro can offer.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 competent players cannot kill each other 1v1 in most cases, especially in CP.

this is why structured duels ban or restrict most things.

but yeah things like stamcro, magsorc, etc. you just walk away from, especially if you see that engine guardian spring up, that like the *IM GOING TO CHEESE BTW!* red flag.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Looks true, because I just felt completely outclassed, on a build which was pretty decent against all others I met yesterday.. but it just feels weird to run from somebody.. If somebody is looking for 1v1, I am used to engage immediately :D I don't mind losing to perfect combo or interesting build with unexpected rotation, but when somebody just negates your healing it feels bad.

Additional idea: maybe Pirate Skeleton? You won't be hurt by major Defile if you are already major defiled. So just play defensively before it procs, then go all-in for 10 seconds, something like that. It was somewhat buffed:

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor
    (2 items) When you take damage to your Health, you have a 10% chance to transform into a skeleton and gain Major Protection and Major Defile for 10 seconds, reducing your damage taken by 30% but reducing your healing received and Health Recovery by 30%. This effect can occur once every 15 seconds.

I think major protection+minor protection+ new undeath = almost immortal to what stamcro can offer.

I like it, major defile yourself, and take away their strongest advantage, lol. Defiles need to be off the major/minor system, and work like snares where only the strongest one applies. The CP that increases defile power needs to be removed and replaced with something else.

If the "forums" are correct, Stamcro is not even S tier this patch.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

I like it, major defile yourself, and take away their strongest advantage, lol. Defiles need to be off the major/minor system, and work like snares where only the strongest one applies. The CP that increases defile power needs to be removed and replaced with something else.

stamcro is tied with magsorc these days.

and they wont change the defile CP, they will never blame CP as the problem.

back when we said defile was op because of CP they instead removed defile off a bunch of skills (reverb springs to mind) and said "there problem fixed"
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

I don't know about tiers, but it just felt like vigor doesn't heal at all. Maybe he had CP in that defile tree and it was much higher reduction then 30%.. then interesting question rises which defile will prevail. The longer one from PS or newly applied from BB.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

stamcro is tied with magsorc these days.

and they wont change the defile CP, they will never blame CP as the problem.

back when we said defile was op because of CP they instead removed defile off a bunch of skills (reverb springs to mind) and said "there problem fixed"

Ha, magsorcs are saying something:
    "Are YoU sEriously comparing magSorc to stamCro?" :D
    Well, imo magsorc is not that bad as stamcro, at least you can dodge half of their arsenal.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If youre stamina your best bet is ensuring your healing is always running and blocking thier combo as all necros combo thier ults with bb. Nearly every 1v1 necro is built identical in terms of how they damage opponents, very similar to sorcs. Defensive stun for your rally if you don't block the combo.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

I don't know about tiers, but it just felt like vigor doesn't heal at all. Maybe he had CP in that defile tree and it was much higher reduction then 30%.. then interesting question rises which defile will prevail. The longer one from PS or newly applied from BB.

Stamcros do a lot of disease damage, so they are putting minor defile on you as well. So between 60% battle spirit and 50% defiles, you are getting about 20% of your pve vigor tooltip.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    If youre stamina your best bet is ensuring your healing is always running and blocking thier combo as all necros combo thier ults with bb. Nearly every 1v1 necro is built identical in terms of how they damage opponents, very similar to sorcs. Defensive stun for your rally if you don't block the combo.

Yes, but problem is that they can make combo initiation ~ every 4 seconds and it cost them like nothing, while how much it will cost you to block-heal through that under major defile? Ugh, times more. Imo, block-heal is not an option here... maybe for stamDK with fragmenting it will work, but not for others.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

Stamcros do a lot of disease damage, so they are putting minor defile on you as well. So between 60% battle spirit and 50% defiles, you are getting about 20% of your pve vigor tooltip.

Yeah, and then fact that Befoul CP is in green trees where CP is least useful and any stamcro can dump 50 points into it without losing much. Is ZOS alright? Remove major defile from everything and then put it on 1k stam cost off-gcd homing missile with notable damage (higher then dizzy on same build for example)?
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pirate Skeleton
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Monster Set
    Set bonus
    (1 item) Adds 1487 Armor

Yeah, and then fact that Befoul CP is in green trees where CP is least useful and any stamcro can dump 50 points into it without losing much. Is ZOS alright? Remove major defile from everything and then put it on 1k stam cost off-gcd homing missile with notable damage (higher then dizzy on same build for example)?

Or wait it out, 3 months from now they will nerf damage, over buff defense and healing. The cycle repeats. But I do think defiles should be taken off the major/minor system be treated like snares. The highest one takes precedence, and you only have one on at a time.

With battle spirit at the level it is at now, defiles are obsolete and approaching unbalanced. (ZOS at one time thought them unbalanced at 50% BS and nerfed the carp out of them). I'm not sure of defiles even have a PVE function, sort of like impen.
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    I run Pirates Skeleton. I run 10% self heal + 8% to healing from champ points. As a Templar, I can purify the dots and reset the fight.

But I generally avoid fights with this overpowered class and do so while keeping all my dignity in tact.

If I'm in a group, I run purges as a part of my rotation anyway, so as long as nobody tries to face tank the Stamcro, we're actually doing just fine and there is no complaint.

Occasionally, we over-extend our DPS and get hammered. But, you just suck-it-up-buttercup.

Really, if you can run a purge and LOS a Stamcro setting up their combo, you can do ok.

Another great suggestion is have a very strong combo to put them on defense.

Mistform from vampire, even with its bugs, also works.
    Edited by soniku4ikblis on June 24, 2020 7:21PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    especially if you see that engine guardian spring up, that like the *IM GOING TO CHEESE BTW!* red flag.

THIS. As soon as I see it, im like cool. Ima go the other way.. lol
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTAmoral wrote: »
    especially if you see that engine guardian spring up, that like the *IM GOING TO CHEESE BTW!* red flag.

THIS. As soon as I see it, im like cool. Ima go the other way.. lol

I couldn't agree more!
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necros have no counter. At best they are teamed up with 1 Warden and 1 Necro+ 1 Warden just destroy 50+ people with ease. COmpletely pointless to even try to kill them.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭
    If you're fighting a stamcro that knows what they're doing, it's mechanically impossible for you to win.

No matter what class you are, how good you are or what sets you're using. They have Blast Bones which is an ultimate in itself, 6-9k damage + Major Defile + undodgeable ontop of having ridicolous uptime on Major Protection from Deaden Pain AND being the tankiest class in the game by far coupled with excellent resource management.

Only "counterplay" would be to deny them their 100% uptime major defile by using Pirate Skeletons, but even if you survive you're not going to kill a class with abilities that make him impervious to any form of damage.

Just go the other way and find a fair fight.
    Edited by Beffagorn on June 24, 2020 11:49PM
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things I learned fighting and playing stamcro is that blast bones struggles to hit targets that are moving away from him he often gets lost and dies without ever reaching his mark if you’re actively kiting. Stamcro needs to be next to a drainable corpse to maintain his mortal coil(class HoT). My recommendation is to kite stamcro whenever possible.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on June 24, 2020 11:58PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow it’s sad that nobody has any serious advice on what to do. Neither do I.
    In no cp I can tell you it isn’t that big of a deal. Two talented players can probably dismantle him. Contribute from the edges. Or even if 1v1... kite him. Don’t play the d-swing game at all.

Mind you I’m not suggesting you run away. I’m suggesting you heckle him until he runs away. If you’re dueling in grahtwood I dunno what to tell you... in cyrodiil there are always options.

Weird story that might parallel this topic and might not: I was feeling myself in cyrodiil last night so I was following an enemy magsorc that looked to be offering himself to 1v1. I don’t think my stamsorc is super well equipped to handle a magsorc but after he kited me a bit, buffed up, and come out honorably to fight I realized I screwed up. Cuz if I run now I’m a wuss. He seent me! So I fought him. I don’t think his gear was on point so long story short I won but it was challenging like he definately knew what he was going. There was one point I chased him between two rocks to execute and he dropped an Atro. He los-ed himself I think cuz I managed to hop on a rock and heckle him from there. No I don’t use snipe. Anyway... I used some terrain and creativity.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things I learned fighting and playing stamcro is that blast bones struggles to hit targets that are moving away from him he often gets lost and dies without ever reaching his mark if you’re actively kiting. Stamcro needs to be next to a drainable corpse to maintain his mortal coil(class HoT). My recommendation is to kite stamcro whenever possible.

Well, that is all complex about 1v1, if this is was some sort of ambush or it evolved from 1vX situation of course you can kite. But if this was engagement in open field... then kiting looks inappropriate to me... so you may just roll-dodge back and forth around center of combat start... and that works great against stamdens for example, because they simply can't hit you with shalks... but against BB that doesn't work.. well, previously it worked :D but now ZOS changed BB so they are not so easy to become confused as before.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s inappropriate about kiting a player and forcing them to waste resources to keep up with you? You ask for strategy against stamcro and my answer was that stamcro’s effective range of their skills is their greatest limitation. Blast bones is better than in the past but still has range issues that can exploited. Maybe I’ve played to much mSorc where kiting open world is just what you do. Than you mentioned honorable 1v1? In that case I’ll bring my stamDK who doesn’t suffer as much from defile because of major mending. Ask a stamcro friend to tell you what his fulled buffed tooltip is on mortal coil. He can’t maintain that heal if you’re kiting him.

Don’t you main a NB or am I thinking of someone else?
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on June 25, 2020 12:41AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Wow it’s sad that nobody has any serious advice on what to do. Neither do I.
    In no cp I can tell you it isn’t that big of a deal. Two talented players can probably dismantle him. Contribute from the edges. Or even if 1v1... kite him. Don’t play the d-swing game at all.

Mind you I’m not suggesting you run away. I’m suggesting you heckle him until he runs away. If you’re dueling in grahtwood I dunno what to tell you... in cyrodiil there are always options.

Weird story that might parallel this topic and might not: I was feeling myself in cyrodiil last night so I was following an enemy magsorc that looked to be offering himself to 1v1. I don’t think my stamsorc is super well equipped to handle a magsorc but after he kited me a bit, buffed up, and come out honorably to fight I realized I screwed up. Cuz if I run now I’m a wuss. He seent me! So I fought him. I don’t think his gear was on point so long story short I won but it was challenging like he definately knew what he was going. There was one point I chased him between two rocks to execute and he dropped an Atro. He los-ed himself I think cuz I managed to hop on a rock and heckle him from there. No I don’t use snipe. Anyway... I used some terrain and creativity.

Magsorcs are my favorite 1v1 partners... they are all eager for 1v1, they are talkative afterwards, they all have some code of rules. Like if you occasionally got behind the tree for 1 second in 3 minutes it is inappropriate, but if he streaks away 3 times as you start to deplete him, that's normal :D if you blocked meteor with mist - this is inappropriate, but fact that he is using bird is appropriate :D Overall magsorc vs vampire it is always a drama... because due to amplitude passive your first 25% HP are melted away instantly, but as you go below 50%, magsorc pressure drastically decreases (amplitude becomes weaker but undeath kicks in, while your healing output is the same)..
    But overall they are nice guys, and quite skilled and interesting to fight against.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well one thing I notice with my necro is that it is not very lag friendly. On that note, which class/build is the most lag friendly class?
    Edited by katorga on June 25, 2020 12:54AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s inappropriate about kiting a player and forcing them to waste resources to keep up with you? You ask for strategy against stamcro and my answer was that stamcro’s effective range of their skills is their greatest limitation. Blast bones is better than in the past but still has range issues that can exploited. Maybe I’ve played to much mSorc where kiting open world is just what you do. Than you mentioned honorable 1v1? In that case I’ll bring my stamDK who doesn’t suffer as much from defile because of major mending. Ask a stamcro friend to tell you what his fulled buffed tooltip is on mortal coil. He can’t maintain that heal if you’re kiting him.

Don’t you main a NB or am I thinking of someone else?

Well, I play stamplar mostly now. Not Kristofer's build, but overall style of gameplay is the same. A lot of rolling around and then burst with gap closer.
    Thank you for advice, I didn't doubt advice itself... well, maybe given that stamcro is OP, kiting is ok. I mean of course I can kite and peck any slow 2H/S&B build in open space, but then they can go to nearest tower and sit there waiting for me... so it's like an unwritten agreement that they will come to open, but I won't move to far.
    Overall, weakness of this builds is they have so-so sustain, so they are trying to kill you right from the start, like gulp cc-pot and go all in and my tactic is to survive that pot while keeping my buffs and resources up, and once cc-immunity is down I can start charging and jabbing them. From that point there will be exchange of bursts when ultimate is ready, so everything is fair. But against stamcro those tactics doesn't work, because I can't dodge/outheal initial pressure like I do against stamdens, stamDKs etc.. so you suggest to be out of dizzy and try to minimize damage from blastbones, and to use potl, injection and jab range as advantage? Sounds good.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well one thing I notice with my necro is that it is not very lag friendly. On that note, which class/build is the most lag friendly class?

Some dot/proc set powered ones with a lot of hard cc and immobilizations. (magDK)
  • cheemers
    cheemers
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reapers Mark on NB works well. Just put it on their Blast Bones and when it detonates you'll get a free 60% max health heal and 5 seconds of Major Berserk. Been doing this since Elsweyr and I feel my stamblade is the best matchup for stamcro.

You could even pair Reapers Mark + Pirate Skele on a magblade. And in other situations you can put RM on Engine Guardian or other summoned pets for easy procs.
    Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCDQ7FrJ0AjMt2auffLEf_Pw

PS4 EU - 18 characters, all DC
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say; kite blastbones and make the stamcro be the chaser and wait until you have a combo up. Watch for them to slip up and not cast their spirit mender before trying to burst and put them on defensive. Stamcro like this are heavily buffing up, have no room for a gap closer, and rely on their pets and pet corpses for their tanking and debuffs. Blastbones will hit you eventually unless you are very fast, but if the corpses are behind the necro, they can struggle to activate. Burst while its down, (no ghost, 2 seconds at least after last corpse drain, no beam tether on them)

But like others have said; a good one is there and know they intend to bait you in. If they wont chase, best to ignore.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS made defile stronger by nerfing solo healing and refusing to nerf the ultimate PvP crutch which is cross healing, theres still nothing that beats a magplar dropping an 11k BoL on someone else, but unfortunately people will screech if group play is nerfed as if the ability to stack combined damage with no downside, at least the old fury was sort of a direct buff which countered dot builds and Xv1
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fawn4287

Not sure how on topic that is. Lets just pretend this is a thread about how to defeat strong opponents that doesn't involve nerfing them.

ZoS nerfed all healing not cross healing because that is fair. And people who think they are 1vXers complain and don't see how actually 20% reduced healing from themselves on themselves is actually an advantage over the other guy, in a large group, who is receiving 20% less healing from like 3 people. The fact is some people can't run into a group of enemies and live. That's like... the epitome of balance. That's like literally the definition. 2>1
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    @Fawn4287

Not sure how on topic that is. Lets just pretend this is a thread about how to defeat strong opponents that doesn't involve nerfing them.

ZoS nerfed all healing not cross healing because that is fair. And people who think they are 1vXers complain and don't see how actually 20% reduced healing from themselves on themselves is actually an advantage over the other guy, in a large group, who is receiving 20% less healing from like 3 people. The fact is some people can't run into a group of enemies and live. That's like... the epitome of balance. That's like literally the definition. 2>1

No I think the healing nerf was appropriate, there were too many impossible to kill builds, far too many stalemates and single target DOTs were essentially uselessin CP (non CP could have done without the nerf IMO), however to nerf solo healing whilst group, cross and off healing is left as it is, is a terrible way to have left the game, playing in a large group is always the meta, but healing done to other players should have been directly nerfed, group healing is by far the easiest playstyle in PvP and is still far too easy to do on a tanky build.