The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Instant break free

Tammany
Tammany
✭✭✭✭
tldr: experienced enemies (high rank usually) break free instantly, but for me it takes 2-3 seconds for character to start moving after BF animation.

Long story: each time i see an effect of crowd controll ability (visuals and addon) i instantly press the binded key (changed it for faster reaction), meanwhile character remains immovable for some short duration right after the break free animation - litrerally there are no controll on me, snares/roots slows but character can not dodge or block, just stands still.

Most people behave the same, but some high rank tryharders usually break free instantly, lityerally, You scatter *** them and they are breaking free in the air already dodging your next instant spell. What the hell ? Firstly i thought its about a break free set, tried to chain cc some tryharder and he instantly breaks free every 6 seconds, but when i eat cc i stand still, can not move and just eat additional damage. What's that ? Lag ? My lack of game knowlege - i am missing something important in the mechanic ?
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen something similar happening on EU for the past 2 years.
    I'm well aware of the avarage human reaction time, paired with latency (not the one shown in game) and how long breaking free ought to be.
    These people seemingly break free as if there was no reaction needed (automated) in a zero latency enviornment.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usualy ranged stuns like scater shot are easier to break. Since you see them coming you can time the breakfree better while the melee stuns sometimes hit out of the blue. Though, i dont know the situation on PC with bound keys or addons.

Edit: The use of the term "Tryhard" seems particularly pathetic, since its often used by players with the game experience of a 10 minute youtube video, to refer to a player who invested some thoughts and time to actually improve his skill.
    Edited by Zer0_CooL on June 22, 2020 10:08AM
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    you can time the breakfree better
    What do you mean by BETTER ? You can break free worse ?

It's not about WHEN you press it, its about post effect conditions - some characters are bound to place like they are lagging (small cc grace period) meanwhile others instantly dodge RIGHT after BF animation ends.

to refer to a player who invested some thoughts and time to actually improve his skill
    Yeah, same as i noticed how some tryhards improved their self ressurection skills.
    Edited by Tammany on June 22, 2020 10:26AM
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this and its happened to me before but I'll say it's hit or miss, what you're (and everyone else) seeing is a desync between the server and the client much like "fake animation canceling" it just looks to you like their break free is instant because if they are moving when they get stunned some server munbo jumbo nonsense happens and break free can look instant.

They still can't cast abilities or anything because they're technically still "stunned" or "cc" or whatever but their character still gains distance as if they were barely affected at all.

(sorry for the lack of periods and commas need more coffee :p )
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a good example:
    If your character is built for speed and you get a knock back from a templar javelin while sprinting you can break free before you even land on the ground and still keep going if the knock back was in the same direction you were sprinting.
  • rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it's due to the lag. There is always lag as we all know it. But I think for last several patches Zos is trying to moving stuff into a global queue. e.g. last major patch they move ability to the global queue, this makes using ability clunky, however they improved it in later small patches. My theory is that for Greymoor patch, they moved CC break into this global queue and the this again makes the CC break clunky. I hope they could address this in later small patches.

Note about the global queue, it's basically syncing player actions in server side instead of client side to avoid cheating. So apparently the latency of the player impacts how quickly the player could take actions. I think it's the right direction to go, but please fix the clunky behavior.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    EP nb: ooxx your sis, Orc 2H/Bow, what you look at, never saw an Orc nb?
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's due to the lag. There is always lag as we all know it. But I think for last several patches Zos is trying to moving stuff into a global queue. e.g. last major patch they move ability to the global queue, this makes using ability clunky, however they improved it in later small patches. My theory is that for Greymoor patch, they moved CC break into this global queue and the this again makes the CC break clunky. I hope they could address this in later small patches.

Note about the global queue, it's basically syncing player actions in server side instead of client side to avoid cheating. So apparently the latency of the player impacts how quickly the player could take actions. I think it's the right direction to go, but please fix the clunky behavior.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Basically this but Greymoor didn't introduce this, its always been around but now its getting worse cause they want everything server side on a server that can't handle it.

Heres to hoping they maximize their servers or optimize their code cause after 6 years its just getting silly.
  • rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    NoodleESO wrote: »
    Basically this but Greymoor didn't introduce this, its always been around but now its getting worse cause they want everything server side on a server that can't handle it.

Heres to hoping they maximize their servers or optimize their code cause after 6 years its just getting silly.

This patch gets much worse. After this patch went live, I died numerously because my character standing there helplessly, can't dodge roll, can't block, can't quaff a potion after CC break. It's ridiculous!

EP nb: ooxx your sis, Orc 2H/Bow, what you look at, never saw an Orc nb?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has to do with the animation of the CC and Lag. Like fears make you grab your head and move so a lot of animation involved and lag causes an issue with wanting that to apply server side while your client is trying to spend the message you broke free, while others CC just make you fall down.

There are also drawbacks when there are more than one effect on you. Stuns combo with roots can add delay. Good players break free and roll dodge immediately after because of that and to avoid incoming burst which should follow CC. Still; it can create a huge delay. You will notice ball groups that have people spamming bombard while others fear. The animation to break free delays, and you can even be rooted mid dodge roll because they reapply before the immunity even kicks in, because lag.

TLDR: because bad code lag.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag and certain animations seem to be the biggest culprits when it comes to break free not going off as it should. There are times that I can break free mid-air after a Leap and be fine, but Reverberating Bash is almost always really terrible (and seems worse if the person using it animation cancels).
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tammany wrote: »
    tldr: experienced enemies (high rank usually) break free instantly, but for me it takes 2-3 seconds for character to start moving after BF animation.

Long story: each time i see an effect of crowd controll ability (visuals and addon) i instantly press the binded key (changed it for faster reaction), meanwhile character remains immovable for some short duration right after the break free animation - litrerally there are no controll on me, snares/roots slows but character can not dodge or block, just stands still.

Most people behave the same, but some high rank tryharders usually break free instantly, lityerally, You scatter *** them and they are breaking free in the air already dodging your next instant spell. What the hell ? Firstly i thought its about a break free set, tried to chain cc some tryharder and he instantly breaks free every 6 seconds, but when i eat cc i stand still, can not move and just eat additional damage. What's that ? Lag ? My lack of game knowlege - i am missing something important in the mechanic ?

unfortunately it is realted to *** server's performance.. break free works like lottery especialy at prime time. its should work like instant break stun and it works most of the time but sometimes you are not able to cancel animation or worst case u stuck in animation and cannot break free ( this happned mostly on fear) and yy some player build charkaters on this crappy buged mechanic.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to refer to a player who invested some thoughts and time to actually improve his skill
    Yeah, same as i noticed how some tryhards improved their self ressurection skills.

Thats a cheater.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭

mostly this is lag , but some poeple use scripts witch has been athing for a long time
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    GM of Elder-Skills DC PVP Guild NA
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I break free instantly all the time. The trick is to be prepared to break free and prioritize it over anything else when you see:

1. A zerg on you or organized group
    2. Mag DK/Stam DK (most nubs spam petrify)
    3. Names of people you know spam stuns+snare and/or wear sets like Sellistrix

I literally play with minimal offense until I break free and know a zerg can't do anything to me. You have to take advantage of people ganging up on you. For me, their CC spam literally makes it easier to handle them because my roll and block game is top-tier. It has to be since I die in 2-3 hits on all my chars :D

I don't run any add-ons or rely on them, so there is not any noise to interfere with the process; just pure twitch reaction and guessing.

That and if I have ever encountered you before I remember everything about you: your build, how many times you can roll, how many times you can streak, how many times you can cloak, your habits, what you ate last night...you name it. I know and I will get you, esp. if you have ever killed me once with a cheap tactic.

TL,DR: smart people wait for you to CC and don't go hard until they got immunity

That's literally the "secret" sauce. You will be able to do the same after maybe 5000 deaths in Cyro from some loser spamming petrify in a zerg. You will start to know exactly when to expect CC, when to expect attacks, when to roll, when to block.
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    I break free instantly all the time. The trick is to be prepared to break free and prioritize it over anything else when you see:

I literally play with minimal offense until I break free and know a zerg can't do anything to me. You have to take advantage of people ganging up on you. For me, their CC spam literally makes it easier to handle them because my roll and block game is top-tier. It has to be since I die in 2-3 hits on all my chars :D

I don't run any add-ons or rely on them, so there is not any noise to interfere with the process; just pure twitch reaction and guessing.

That and if I have ever encountered you before I remember everything about you: your build, how many times you can roll, how many times you can streak, how many times you can cloak, your habits, what you ate last night...you name it. I know and I will get you, esp. if you have ever killed me once with a cheap tactic.

TL,DR: smart people wait for you to CC and don't go hard until they got immunity

That's literally the "secret" sauce. You will be able to do the same after maybe 5000 deaths in Cyro from some loser spamming petrify in a zerg. You will start to know exactly when to expect CC, when to expect attacks, when to roll, when to block.

Do you have BF binded to LM+RM or some other personal key ?
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

Do you have BF binded to LM+RM or some other personal key ?

Still on mouse button. I use default setting...

The game does give a grace period for break free action with mouse where you should be able to use right mouse -> left mouse click and activate break free within a certain window.
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bind interrupt to space bar and jump to MMB. Then I can keep bouncing and immediately break free.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma