Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Vampire Skill Ranks] Drink blood instead of just doing whatever

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Instead of simply getting XP from any source to rank up your Vampire Skill Line, would it be more in-lore to drink blood instead? Count the number of Feed kills, similar to counting the number of kills in Werewolf wolf form to rank up the Werewolf skill line.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and that's how the whole "feeding makes you stronger" thing should have been implemented. Instead they left leveling up vampire as is and took that feeding makes you stronger statement and reversed the vampire stages. Didn't even bother updating the stage visuals either...
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be wrong here, because I got used to avoid or kill vampires, not be one of them, but I think it would be strange if that blood drinking would earn them experience. To me it sounds like letting the Nords to get experience from drinking mead (the more drunk a Nord is - the more experienced he is). Werewolves get experience by killing their foes, not devouring them - why should the vampires get more experienced through feeding? Oh. Time to get more experienced - gotta go look into the fridge ;).
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on June 22, 2020 3:51PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Werewolves get experience by killing their foes, not devouring them

Had to google this because for some reason I thought they had to devour hearts to level the skill line up. Maybe its due to the amount of times my werewolf fed to stay in werewolf form that had me believing this incorrect fact.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Werewolves get experience by killing their foes, not devouring them

Had to google this because for some reason I thought they had to devour hearts to level the skill line up. Maybe its due to the amount of times my werewolf fed to stay in werewolf form that had me believing this incorrect fact.

That's true for TESV: Skyrim, not ESO.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I might be wrong here, because I got used to avoid or kill vampires, not be one of them, but I think it would be strange if that blood drinking would earn them experience. To me it sounds like letting the Nords to get experience from drinking mead (the more drunk a Nord is - the more experienced he is). Werewolves get experience by killing their foes, not devouring them - why should the vampires get more experienced through feeding? Oh. Time to get more experienced - gotta go look into the fridge ;).

This is a silly argument against the idea because right now you can gain vampire experience or even racial experience by putting a fruit salad in a box (provisioning daily writs). Both are bad implementations.

In fact, since they are clearly tying drinking blood to stronger Vampire powers, if you are at Stage 0 too long you should start to LOSE vampire skill ranks.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on June 24, 2020 5:38AM
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

This is a silly argument against the idea because right now you can gain vampire experience or even racial experience by putting a fruit salad in a box (provisioning daily writs). Both are bad implementations.

In fact, since they are clearly tying drinking blood to stronger Vampire powers, if you are at Stage 0 too long you should start to LOSE vampire skill ranks.

I didn't say anything about how the vampiric progression is implemented now, mate, due to the reasons I'll describe below. I only compared your idea of blood drinking and feeding as a mean of a vampire's experience gain to an idea of mead drinking as a same mean to a Nord. If you presume it silly, then you also should see how clever your own idea was yourself ;). Regarding the current vampire's leveling system - I agree with you, that a werewolf-like leveling system would be more logical. That would be a good idea indeed, so I'd give you an agree up there if not that "leveling through drinking" part I disagree with.

Anyway, it is not relevant, but personally I don't like vampires and I'd be glad if they would be unplayable at all, the way the Orcs were in TES I & II. Maybe it is because in my native language the word's "vampire" first meaning is a derogatory word for spiteful, insolent, unfair and harmful people who live constantly bleeding for someone's money, vitality, peace or any other resources. These people are always either maniacs or thugs (especially those who sleep in daytime and act at night) or lawful but powerful enough people to legally "feed" on others, or those who cannot be harmed back because they "suck blood" of their relatives or of any other people who cannot retaliate due to various reasons. Yes, it is a wide definition, but "vampire" is the word for all those types of people.

So all these attempts to show a good vampire who feeds on animals or a vampire who fights his thirst in movies like "Underworld", or in some video games, etc. are presumed ridiculous. This is why I don't play as a vampire there and feel aversion when I see one running around or feeding on an NPC. Fennorian is no exception - he's a pure oxymoron like a "living dead" or a "militant pacifist", but still he is a vampire and thus from my perspective should be treated accordingly. Though I understand people from other countries treat vampires as purely mythological and fiction characters (I treat them the same way but not before the aversion I feel when I first interact with one of them), I hope they understand such an approach is not worldwide and that it is the reason I view those vampires in fiction as a precise and a very good metaphor showing us the true nature of the vampires IRL. So it is not even an option to me to join the vampires or to avoid or destroy them.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on June 24, 2020 7:43PM