The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New hats make you bald?

huntgod_ESO
huntgod_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I opened 15 crates and didn't get any of the new floppy hats but in the preview they made my character bald, which is concerning. Before I plunk down gems or buy another set of crates, is this a preview glitch or do these hats really override your hair and make you bald?
--- HuntGod ---
Officer of the Unrepentant
www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, they make you bald. I'm guessing they're old assets.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah won't be buying anymore crates or spending gems on that...seems like a pretty big oversight by the design team.
    --- HuntGod ---
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are very few hats in ESO that go over a character’s hair, the vast majority of hats replace the hair. It’s always been a pretty big dissatisfier for many people.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very disappointed that the hats don't show hair, most of the recent hats do. I would have bought all of them if they showed hair or at least had a hairline. I would love if ZOS changed them to have hair, I love the big floppy pink hat.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Bald as a bowling ball. Basically, they look good on argonians and khajiit and no one else.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    There are very few hats in ESO that go over a character’s hair, the vast majority of hats replace the hair. It’s always been a pretty big dissatisfier for many people.

There's a difference between giving your character a short hairstyle or ponytail and shaving them cueball bald regardless of hairstyle used. Especially when hat leaves that much of the head uncovered.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno can we have any info on whether this will be changed? Nobody wants to be bald D:
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno can we have any info on whether this will be changed? Nobody wants to be bald D:

I second this, this is one of the main reasons my characters live with the "hide helm" setting on and use no hats. I would love to wear hats but I need those hats to exist over the characters hair, not completely replace it.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came here to say this. Very close to buying one but they don’t even have that “hair pulled up from the back of the neck, and a hint if sideburn” texture that other newer hats have. I’m not asking for my entire hairstyle to be recreated under the hat (though that would be the extreme ideal) I thought at least we’d get that base hair color streaks in the back.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup every other hat I'm familiar with either changes you to a ponytail or at the very least adds a short hairline under the hat, but bald is a deal a breaker.
    --- HuntGod ---
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's very disappointing :( When they datamined these hats, I was looking forward to buy them because of how silly they look... Now I'm not gonna do that.
    Also new dreadlocks are replaced with default hair when you are wearing hats. :( White river braid, which is another crown crate hairstyle, still retains its looks with certain hats.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's very disappointing :( When they datamined these hats, I was looking forward to buy them because of how silly they look... Now I'm not gonna do that.
    Also new dreadlocks are replaced with default hair when you are wearing hats. :( White river braid, which is another crown crate hairstyle, still retains its looks with certain hats.

I really like Covenant War-Locks because it retains its appearance with most hats, too. It just loses a little volume, so you may see a bit of an ear tip sticking out on the left, which is actually pretty cute. Doesn't work with these new hats, though.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with the bald effect of the new hats, especially since they are really fun, and go great with the newly released inkeeper costume. I wish we could get a word on whether this will be addressed soon @ZOS_SarahHecker?
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just confirming that this is an intended affect of the hats but we have passed this feedback on to the rest of the team.
    Staff Post
  • Dietche
    Dietche
    ✭✭✭
    You guys do realize that by making these complaints you will be adversely affecting the gainful employment of all those little hamsters that ZOS hired to live inside all those hats you people bought, who instantly shave your head every time you put the hat on and then rapidly implant hair plugs all throughout your scalp when you remove the hats???

YOU MONSTERS!
    Think of the hamsters!
    Guild Leader: Sardonically Synthesized
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well,i tried to resist.... o:)

UMAkFs9.gif
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, just confirming that this is an intended affect of the hats but we have passed this feedback on to the rest of the team.

Thanks for the answer but ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

I do hope you realize you can sell a ton more if you let us have hair, even if you guys ran into clipping problems, I have loads of people in guild saying they won’t buy them because of it. And they were huge hits otherwise. I was the idiot that bought them assuming it was a bug that would be fixed, why on earth would you guys do that on purpose, right? Awful. I don’t get it. Why are we going back to issues that were resolved years ago satisfactorily?
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭

WHY was this intended? Huge step back from previous hats which at least showed some hair.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inval1d wrote: »

WHY was this intended? Huge step back from previous hats which at least showed some hair.

"Easier"
    PC-NA
  • Athymhormia
    Athymhormia
    ✭✭✭
    FYI baldness is only one of the problems, 2 of 3 new hats also deform characters foreheads (at least on females, didn't check on males):

deiGaoC.png
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FYI baldness is only one of the problems, 2 of 3 new hats also deform characters foreheads (at least on females, didn't check on males):

deiGaoC.png

I barely see any difference to be honest. But I still hate the baldness.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Yep. Bald as a bowling ball. Basically, they look good on argonians and khajiit and no one else.

Except for the part where the ears of Khajiit (and mer) clip through the hats in odd ways.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inval1d wrote: »

Exactly, why was this intended? It sounds to me like 'we've washed our hands off this', which is a pity because, here we finally have new hats with a variety of styles that look like a usual piece of clothing and not armour or a disguise, but then they make our characters bald... :neutral:
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

idk man, they look pretty fire on orcs as well

especially if you got some form of beard, boar's nest being my favorite

:)
    at a place nobody knows
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    is this a preview glitch or do these hats really override your hair and make you bald?

Most hats make you bald or at least drastically change what hair is visible.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Lotus781
    Lotus781
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being bald while wearing a hat like that is the least of your problems.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    is this a preview glitch or do these hats really override your hair and make you bald?

Most hats make you bald or at least drastically change what hair is visible.

No they really don't, most either change to a ponytail style or they do a short hair hair line to give the impression that you have your hair tucked up or have short hair, I can't remember another that makes you bald, aside from a couple of skullcaps and one of the headdress ones that has a skullcap built in, as it happens I don't love those either but they don't make you look bald.

I have a ton of hats so maybe tell me which ones you think make you bald and I will look at them, but none come to mind.
    --- HuntGod ---
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    Well,i tried to resist.... o:)

UMAkFs9.gif

The day they release that emote crap will hit the fan!
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭

Thank you Sarah for bringing this up to the rest of the team. Putting on a hat should not cause a complete shave. Hopefully this can be fixed as anyone who realistically thinks about this for three seconds can see that maybe this is not the correct path forward.

<Edit> That said, I understand from a development standpoint it is way easier to implement a hat style with a simple bald look or a standard pony tail. It is more work to create a unique look for each hairstyle for people spending money on crates and gems to have a hat actually match their character. Keep in mind, these are the people actually paying for the game instead of playing it for free...
    Edited by TropicsDelight on June 26, 2020 3:23AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiyakotari wrote: »

Except for the part where the ears of Khajiit (and mer) clip through the hats in odd ways.
    Oh no, you're kidding. :s I didn't know they did that.
    I guess they've decided that garbage is good enough to put in the crates now.