Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Critical healing -exactly how to?

merevie
merevie
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a templar healer that was pretty decent with little effort.
Now it needs to be reworked.
In order to do that, is there someone who can clearly break down critical healing?
Not looking for gear or skills or game play -more the math.
Ty -(pvp player)
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure what your exact question is, but I'll give it a shot.

A critical heal heals your target for 150% as much healing as on a non-crit. Heals that cost Magicka have a chance to crit based on your Spell Critical (like damage), and heals that cost Stamina have a chance based on Weapon Critical — in most cases. Heals from Ultimate skills should have a crit chance based on whichever is highest, but some might not. IDK all the exceptions or bugs atm.

There's a Champion Point passive that increases your critical heals (+10% bonus means you heal for 160% of normal on a critical heal)

I believe critical bonus is applied multiplicatively, like damage. So if you have +50% increased healing done, and your critical heal stat is 150%, you should critically heal for 225% (150% * 150%)

Healing from set procs doesn't crit.

I could go on about when adding more +% healing done is better than adding Spell Critical, but idk what you wanna know, and it's probably better to just add +% healing done or Max Magicka
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I believe critical bonus is applied multiplicatively, like damage. So if you have +50% increased healing done, and your critical heal stat is 150%, you should critically heal for 225% (150% * 150%)

I don't think that is correct.

Rather, if you have a 50% bonus and a 50% crit chance, then half the time you will heal for 150% of base value and half the time you'll heal for 100%, for an expected value of 125% of base = 1 + 0.5*0.5.

Also, the crit heal bonus can exceed 150%, for example because both champion points and a Khajit racial passive skill raise damage and healing crit bonuses together.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Rather, if you have a 50% bonus and a 50% crit chance, then half the time you will heal for 150% of base value and half the time you'll heal for 100%, for an expected value of 125% of base = 1 + 0.5*0.5.

Also, the crit heal bonus can exceed 150%, for example because both champion points and a Khajit racial passive skill raise damage and healing crit bonuses together.

Yeah, I didn't mean it increased your overall healing output, just the healing of that one critical heal compared to a non-critical heal. I think what you said is right.

And true about the critical healing bonuses, like I mentioned.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you both -that's perfect
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭

If you've got a 50% bonus to healing done, wouldn't that make your base healing 150%, not 100%?

Also, I thought tsaescishoeshiner was talking about the strength of your critical heals, not their crit chance, since they mentioned the Elfborn champion star.