The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

dot stam necro pvp viable?

RedBeard_Viking
been trying to make use of my necro. Gave up on magic harmony being bad/borring. Want to try stam again wanting to try something possibly besides dizzy swing.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every Stamina build can be overpowered in no-CP via proc set DOT builds right now. Not sure about CP-enabled, since I don't play it, but Venemous Smite + Azureblight with a bow build (no Snipe) seems to be the most popular in BGs for people that have the sets available. I also see a fair amount of Sheer Venom users running around, and it's possible to fit the stupid PvE-acquired weapons into some setups (BRP and Masters mostly I guess, outside of gank builds).
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necro the class with the best DOT passive, and no DOTs.

• RedBeard_Viking
    i know right pisses me off i dont get it... sometimes i wonder what the hell zos is thinking....
  • NekoN3ko
    NekoN3ko
    ✭✭✭
    sure, but most necros only Graveyard and Colossus - 2 button heros
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

What do you mean? Necro has the following DOT skills (More DOTS than any other class!):

1) Grave Lord (Ultimate) - The Colossus smashes the ground three times, dealing Frost damage with each smash

2) Venom Skull - Lob an explosive skull at an enemy, dealing Poison damage (nb Poison damage has a 10% chance to produce the Poisoned staus effect which is a 6 second DOT).

3) Boneyard - Desecrate the ground at the target location, dealing 2244 Frost damage over 10 seconds

4) Skeletal Mage - Unearth a skeletal mage from the dirt to fight by your side for 16 seconds. the Mage attacks the closest enemy every 2 seconds, dealing shock damage.

5) Shocking Siphon -Violently drain the last spark of life from a corpse, dealing shock damage over 12 seconds

6) Ravenous Goliath (Ultimate) - While transformed you deal 5 of your max health in damage to nearby enemies every second

7) Agony Totem - Allies can activate Pure Agony, causing enemies to take Magic damage over 5 seconds and applying minor vulnerability to them for the duration, increasing their damage taken by 8%.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya sure, ppl still sleep on the master's DW. combo it with double poison, make the off-hand charged. Blighted Blastbones can proc both minor and major defile. Venomous Smite set, perhaps Razor Caltrops, players will pop.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NekoN3ko wrote: »
    sure, but most necros only Graveyard and Colossus - 2 button heros
    You should actually try it out sometime. Can you sometimes 1-shot people, and is that a dumb thing that many of us want to see changed? Absolutely. But it's vastly less effective overall than Stamina builds being one button heroes with Jabs or Dizzying Swing spam...or the new hotness of tossing out a Poison Injection before you spam the obscenely overpowered Bombard ability while your proc sets do their thing.

People see like 16k damage from a Graverobber Synergy in no-CP, and rightly think that it's ridiculous. What they don't see are the myriad downsides. Do you know what it's like to have BG teammates ruin your burst window with friendly synergies, even from useless things like Liquid Lightning? Have you ever tried to play what is essentially a melee build with no melee tools? You're also forced to be super-squishy (and with godawful healing since Greymoor) in order to reach the damage numbers that people complain about with Graverobber. The synergy is also still sometimes be a bit finnicky, can only be attempted once every 20 seconds, requires sacrificing 3x Jewelry Traits in order to be remotely worthwhile, and often hits for <= 7k unblocked on a non-crit in no-CP if you don't have a Colossus up for the Major Vulnerability.

I've been hit for Biting Jabs for that much before, and that's without accounting for the extra 1.5k - 3k damage on a Burning Light proc. Not to mention Stamina Warden being able to throw together their combo once every 3 seconds for more damage than that, while having a built in stun thanks to Dizzying Swing and off-balance.

Magicka Necromancer is hot garbage compared to every Stamina build in the game, even then ones people complain about supposedly being "underpowered." If you take away the one stupid gimmick that the class has - which I hope eventually happens, by the way - it'll be completely worthless without some simultaneous re-balancing in other ways. I tried to make non-Graverobber Magicka Necromancer work in Battlegrounds for about a year, and it was basically the worst MMO-PvP class I've ever played.
    rumple9 wrote: »
    katorga wrote: »

What do you mean? Necro has the following DOT skills (More DOTS than any other class!):

1) Grave Lord (Ultimate) - The Colossus smashes the ground three times, dealing Frost damage with each smash
    Just because it attacks once per second for three seconds doesn't mean it's an actual DOT.
    2) Venom Skull - Lob an explosive skull at an enemy, dealing Poison damage (nb Poison damage has a 10% chance to produce the Poisoned staus effect which is a 6 second DOT).
    I don't remember ever seeing an actual decent player use Venom Skull.
    3) Boneyard - Desecrate the ground at the target location, dealing 2244 Frost damage over 10 seconds
    Why are you claiming that Necromancers have more DOTs than every other class, then listing Stamina abilities at #2 and Magicka abilities at #3? If that's really your argument, DKs still win as the "DOT" class, since you could cite Noxious Breath + Engulfing Flames, and Venomous Claw + Burning Embers.

Besides, no one is going to stand in the Boneyard, and it isn't used as an actual DOT in PvP. The only reason anyone has this skill on their bar in PvP is for the Graverobber self-synergy, and that being the only way for Magicka Necromancer to get any halfway worthwhile damage.
    4) Skeletal Mage - Unearth a skeletal mage from the dirt to fight by your side for 16 seconds. the Mage attacks the closest enemy every 2 seconds, dealing shock damage.
    Again, that's not really a DOT, and isn't affected by the passive. It's also a really awful ability that basically no one ever uses.
    5) Shocking Siphon -Violently drain the last spark of life from a corpse, dealing shock damage over 12 seconds
    One of the worst abilities in the game, and wasn't used even when it was off the GCD. That's quite the accomplishment, right? A "DOT" that's so bad no one uses it even though it's free to cast and doesn't require a GCD.
    6) Ravenous Goliath (Ultimate) - While transformed you deal 5 of your max health in damage to nearby enemies every second
    You're really going to claim that this should be treated like class DOT, in the same vein as something like Fetcher Infection?
    7) Agony Totem - Allies can activate Pure Agony, causing enemies to take Magic damage over 5 seconds and applying minor vulnerability to them for the duration, increasing their damage taken by 8%.
    My ally might trigger a synergy if I have a totem down and one or more enemy players are standing inside the radius, ok. In what way does that actually benefit my DOT passive? (Plus, most people don't actually know what the synergy does since Magicka Necromancer is relatively rare in PvP, and lots of them/us don't even use the totem...this leads to many people triggering the synergy even if no enemies are close enough, just because it's available and they don't know what it does.)
    Edited by wheem_ESO on June 18, 2020 11:01AM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wheem_ESO You obviously don't realise "DOT" stands for Damage Over Time fired off from one skill
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wheem_ESO You obviously don't realise "DOT" stands for Damage Over Time fired off from one skill
    I know exactly what DOT means. You were replying to someone who was referencing the class passive that increases DOT damage by listing off things that you arbitrarily consider DOTs, even if Zenimax says that you're wrong (and therefore the passive doesn't affect those abilities). And even the things that are mechanically considered DOTs, and therefore affected by the passive, can be ignored on this particular forum if they're not used as DOTs (or at all) in PvP.

Go try to make a "DOT build" on a Magicka Necromancer, then do the same thing on a Stamina DK (or any Stamina build with proc sets), and let me know how it works out in small scale fights against players who aren't bad at the game. See just how much that Necromancer passive actually matters when combined with all the supposed "class DOTs" you listed off.
  • AsheronRealaidain
    AsheronRealaidain
    ✭✭✭
    I like non-meta and DOT builds so once I saw that passive I built my Necro DW/2H and don't use Dizzy. Deadly/Sheer Venom setup. It's decent, Rapid Strikes as a spammable isn't bad with almost 60% extra DOT from passive/set/CP but throwing those 2 sets on my StamDK is just more damage potential no matter how you look at it. If Detonating Siphon directly applied a DOT once you were hit by it, not requiring you to stand in it/around it the entire time to take the damage, that would be a game changer. But that'll never happen, Necro is too strong already in every other area.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Asheron Realaidain | Altmer Magsorc
    Wayward Bob | Orsimer Stamplar
    Aerbax Virindi | Dunmer Magblade
    Numuhdira | Redguard Stamsorc
    Borelean Strathelar | Khajiit Stamblade
    Isin Dule | Dunmer MagDK
    Illservian Palacost | Argonian Magplar
    Lord Rytheran | Nord Stamcro
    Antius Blackmoor | Orsimer StamDK
    Xbox One X, NA
  • RedBeard_Viking
    i mean necro has a magic dont and the one off bodies is kidna trash. i was thinking in a more pvp standpoint stam dk beats it.
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dmg tether should be removed, and replaced with a detonation skill , small instant dmg and apply a potent dot.

What I have in mind is you cast bb, then it explode you detonate the corpse to apply a dot in an area. Unblockable but small area.
    Morphs should add a minor debuff for 5 sec.

But it's too much work... Or what ever other excuses.

Then bind it on a target instead of a corpse like zaan(code is already there). When a corpse is near the enemy (15m?) u use the rotten flesh to inflict the enemy with a minor debuff.

(necro should be more directed to a debuff class, it would tick a other box to what it is to be a necromancer )

Still looks like crap, but would be useful.

Also skeletal archer/mage should deal dmg to your actual target not the nearest. That "rndm" dmg thing is *** for the dmg it does.

What would be much greater (when u would also feel like a real necromancer) is when skeletal archer/mage would be a real dot. So u can cast it on multiple targets and have multiple skeletals up for the visual satisfaction ^^
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    If u want a competitive dot build, you should try magdk. The grothdar/elfbane/malacath build is rly fun to play in bg or interior fights. Never interested in dk but this build got me ^^

If u want to stick to necro, a stamina bleed dmg build with malacath and dot proc sets should be viable too,atleast in no cp.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally my necro is bow. You have a ranged burst ability and that's always nice.

Some strong suggestions above.

Heard that blight mentioned a lot, I'd take a gander
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds