The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Player - some observations/issues.

solomani
solomani
Hi all, just started playing and I am pleasantly surprised as I am enjoying the game quite a bit. Doubly so as I don't have to switch to Windows to play! A couple observations that I am curious if there are workarounds or fixes/settings I am missing:
  • Fullscreen mode does not function as it should under macOs, I can not switch desktops. This is the most annoying as I like having the ability to switch to a browser or such as needed.
  • My mouse has a white box around it when active and a ghost black mouse sits in the middle of the screen for some reason.
  • If I drag an ability to my toolbar my mouse disappears entirely leaving a permanent ghost of the icon in the bottom right of my screen. My mouse reappears if I ESC and come back to it but the ghost skill button stays until I log out

I am running macOS Catalina 15.5.5 on a MacBook Pro with a Vega 20 graphics card (soon to be replaced by a 5600 XT eGPU).

Thanks in advance.
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    The mouse issue has been ongoing for a while on Mac.
    The only way I know how to fix it is just making mouse pointer size slightly bigger in Accessibility Settings and it should fix the white box.
  • solomani
    solomani
    Perfect, this fixed problem 2 and 3. Any idea about the fullscreen issue?
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    • Fullscreen mode does not function as it should under macOs, I can not switch desktops. This is the most annoying as I like having the ability to switch to a browser or such as needed.

Hi @solomani, welcome to Tamriel! I'm relatively new to ESO too. Started in April and have been frustrated with this issue ever since. I have reported this issue here:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520106/broken-windowed-fullscreen-mode-and-limited-resolution-on-macos-catalina#latest

Along with Apple Developer Documentation for the ZOS Devs to fix it:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/General/Conceptual/MOSXAppProgrammingGuide/FullScreenApp/FullScreenApp.html

I've also reported it in-game though the /bug report feature. About three game patches have happened since I started reporting it and not a word from the dev team to even acknowledge the issue yet. Sad. I recommend also reporting it in-game. Hopefully someone will notice and actually fix it.

Also, if you ever try to play with a Controller, please be aware of the following (and also report it in game through /bug):
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520104/gamepad-input-is-broken-in-eso-on-macos-catalina#latest

Hopefully the devs will eventually start paying attention, or at least acknowledge these issues.

As a work-around for the fullscreen issue I recommend the following:
    - Run macOS in Dark Mode
    - Hide the Dock and Taskbar in macOS system preferences.
    - Run the game in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode in it's own desktop space.
    ^ This will create the illusion of the app being fullscreen in its own desktop space albeit with the window border still visible at the top. At least dark mode makes it less distracting. I just really wish that the ZOS team would properly fix this.
    Edited by thedavidventer on June 12, 2020 10:41AM
    David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
    Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • solomani
    solomani
    Thanks David, good advice and bug reported as well. I did find a support doc from ZOS saying they are working on adding all MacOS functionality to the game - that was dated late 2018...

Edit. One other observation, is the MacOS version locked at 50fps? 50 is plenty but just curious as it sits at 50 and never goes higher, sometimes it dips, but otherwise its a steady 50.
    Edited by solomani on June 13, 2020 5:18AM