Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magcro build insights

Mavi
Mavi
✭✭
What's up folks? So, I just lvled a magcro this week and after reaching the champion lvl I tried some bgs. For the sake of Talos, let me tell you I did not enjoy what I faced. I melted, I got roflstomped to the point I just gave up for the day. I tried new moon with bright's throat and blood spawn (yeah, a little outdated, I know). Any tips for a more "tanky" build or what are you guys running?
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run a Harmony MagCro

5x Vicious Death (Trait change to Harmony on Jewelry)
    5x Bright-Throat - Spring Loaded Infusion Food
    2x Balorghs

Do the slap, with the self synergy graveyard POP
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the "tanky" Magicka Necromancer builds that I've encountered have fairly poor damage, and aren't really too much of a threat. You might could remedy that somewhat if you have a Master's Staff to use for your burst window, but for the most part I think Magicka Necromancer "needs" to build almost exclusively for damage, with 3x Harmony Jewelry, while relying on Deaden Pain and Mist Form or RAT for most of your survivability. With the Greymoor healing nerfs, I think Mist Form may actually end up being the better option; mixing in some heals while utilizing RAT + Sprint just isn't as effective anymore.

Most of the time lately I'm using New Moon Acolyte, Bright-Throat's Boast, and Slimecraw, with Lightning + Resto staves. It's obviously very squishy, with rock-bottom resists, but if you start giving up damage sets too many people will shrug off your burst attempts while still putting a lot of pressure on you. Especially those running the new Proc-set meta 3.0, Bows and DOTs edition.

I've also played around a little with the Elemental Succession set, and it's not half bad. It'll actually give more damage than NMA will, without the extra cost increase, but it doesn't affect heals or straight magic-damage (ie, Eviscerate or Elemental Weapon, if you're using those). Given the current state of available heals, I don't really like switching out NMA for ES, and I don't have the available gear pieces to switch it with Bright-Throat's Boast (which would probably kill my sustain). It's also worth pointing out that the buff from ES doesn't get "refreshed," it'll fade every 4 seconds no matter what you're using, and can occasionally result in a Blastbones, Colossus, or Graverobber Synercheese landing without the extra damage.

Lots of people use Balorgh's for the monster set, and it's definitely very strong (perhaps even OP). I haven't tried it simply because I don't have the associated DLC or ESO+ right now, and haven't bought the set from the gold vendor. Frankly, given the state of other monster sets right now, I don't think any of the defensive ones are really worth using. If you don't already have Potentates on the back bar, you may very well get more mileage out of that set for helm/shoulders than you would one of the "defensive" monster sets.
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Most of the time lately I'm using New Moon Acolyte, Bright-Throat's Boast, and Slimecraw, with Lightning + Resto staves.

How come you use Slimecraw if you are running a Resto staff, couldn't you just slot Combat Prayer, and run Balorghs?
    Xbox NA - EP
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTAmoral wrote: »
    Most of the time lately I'm using New Moon Acolyte, Bright-Throat's Boast, and Slimecraw, with Lightning + Resto staves.

How come you use Slimecraw if you are running a Resto staff, couldn't you just slot Combat Prayer, and run Balorghs?
    As I said, I don't have a set of Balorghs (or the ability to get it in the immediate future...plus I really hate PvE). Besides, I'd have to drop another ability to fit Combat Prayer on my bars, and it's an overall pretty bad spell in no-CP PvP.

And the two primary reasons I'm using a Resto Staff right now are; 1) the heavy attack resource return + healing buff, and 2) it's what I had available and already gold-quality in the set that I needed. The ultimate is also pretty decent, but the healing nerfs and cost increase from Vampirism kinda stink. There's probably some merit to running 1h/shield and a different defensive ultimate on the back bar, especially if you don't plan to be healing teammates very often (which is totally valid given the current state of most off-heals and oftentimes widespread defiles).
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just stack max mag and use mist form to LoS then resist flesh (the necro burst heal) and thats about all I need. Vamp ult back bar for 1vX.
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Play a real spec if you want to kill things on your own.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    He's asking for insights, why not provide some?
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because there is no point putting down extensive feedback on why magnecro is a trash spec and any other one will be better when it comes to killing stuff.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because there is no point putting down extensive feedback on why magnecro is a trash spec and any other one will be better when it comes to killing stuff.
    I suppose we're running into problems with terminology differences. To me, "spec" is more akin to "build" than it is "class." It sounded as though you were saying he wasn't playing a real "build" (which, in the case of Magicka Necromancer, can simply mean not using 3x Harmony Jewelry on an offensive build).
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This. You start at such a huge disadvantage with Magcro, it is really tough to make a generally good build. You can do some niche stuff with harmony for damage. This patch's healing nerf hits magcro hard. Even in the support/heal role, magro is not top tier; maybe it is for pvp tank. Dunno.

I don't think stamcro is top tier this patch, stam warden is. But stamina is way more effective as a necro in pvp.
  • Mavi
    Mavi
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the inputs guys, it seems the only way to do something is through harmony/graveyard. I'm not playing it anymore then, it looks pretty and astonishing boring.
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mavi wrote: »
    Thanks for the inputs guys, it seems the only way to do something is through harmony/graveyard. I'm not playing it anymore then, it looks pretty and astonishing boring.

You can play StamCro.. They do 3 abilities, Blast Bones, D Swing, Exe ;)
    Xbox NA - EP
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

by "real spec" do you mean playing a no skill required ez mode stamina carried roll dodge spam build or a still stupidly broken OP mag sorc?

you don't NEED to have harmony to do good on mag necro, however it is gonna be harder to kill better players and groups of bad players without harmony. I only started using harmony 2 updates ago, before that i did all infused. Also if you feel like your getting melted too fast try using a defense set like pariah or swift, along with sets like necropotence and balorgh. Plenty of options... Check my mag necro PvP playlist if you want or ask me anything about mag necro builds.

If you want a challenge and more rewarding PvP wins stick with mag necro.
    Edited by Akinos on June 8, 2020 3:13PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

by "real spec" do you mean playing a no skill required ez mode stamina carried roll dodge spam build or a still stupidly broken OP mag sorc?

you don't NEED to have harmony to do good on mag necro, however it is gonna be harder to kill better players and groups of bad players without harmony. I only started using harmony 2 updates ago, before that i did all infused. Also if you feel like your getting melted too fast try using a defense set like pariah or swift, along with sets like necropotence and balorgh. Plenty of options... Check my mag necro PvP playlist if you want or ask me anything about mag necro builds.

No I'm talking about any spec that isn't reliant on the enemy doing several mistakes in a row when you drop a 225+ ult on them.

I explained extensively why magnecro is bad offensive wise in other posts and there is no reason for me to step back from this statement.

I say all that while playing magnecro and there simply is no other spec in this game that is so reliant on luck and an enemy doing multiple mistakes.
    Can you 1vX on a magnecro? Sure
    Can you win duels? Yeah
    But it is still way behind any other spec offensive wise on so many levels, from overall damage, ease of use, reliability of burst, variety and the list goes on and on
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont run harmony builds,and I can say as someone who mained Magcro since its release: almost any other class is better.
    I can do the same but better on a mag dk,mag warden and so on.
    For builds though,if you insist on the ingame equivalent of CBT,I personally run 5piece Cauruns(I forgot how to spell it rip. its the light armor set from fang lair that the few remaining magblades use),2 piece nerienith(Zaan's may be better but I dont have it) and 5piece Bright Throats with a lightning staff.
    also using skills like vocanic rune,if you time it right with the blastbones detonation can be great. but that,while it works in theory,is a lot harder to pull off,and far beyond my skill level to do so atm.

"BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • Mavi
    Mavi
    ✭✭

Can you link the video with the build description? I watched your videos but could not find it. Awesome content btw, keep it up dude!
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait is Mark of the Pariah good? Always thought it was a bad set...hmm
    and also wait is infused better then arcane for damage on glyphs?

"BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you link the video with the build description? I watched your videos but could not find it. Awesome content btw, keep it up dude!

Thanks :) I always put build links in the comment section of my videos. Here's what you were looking for though: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=183831
    Edited by Akinos on June 10, 2020 10:18PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Josira wrote: »
    Wait is Mark of the Pariah good? Always thought it was a bad set...hmm
    and also wait is infused better then arcane for damage on glyphs?

Pariah is an amazing set imo. Only downside is that it has to be double barred, or used as 5 heavy. And yes infused spell damage is a lil bit more damage then arcane.
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    @Akinos

thanks for the build link. I've just started running a macro harmony build for some group AOE/"bombing" and its fun. That said am still learning the class. How does your linked build differ from a standard VD/Balorg/NMA build in practice? I saw the Malacath band -- does that have a major impact?
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorilla wrote: »
    @Akinos

thanks for the build link. I've just started running a macro harmony build for some group AOE/"bombing" and its fun. That said am still learning the class. How does your linked build differ from a standard VD/Balorg/NMA build in practice? I saw the Malacath band -- does that have a major impact?

Most of the mag necros I know all use bomber set ups with VD, my build is basically the same damage but without the VD proc and alot tankier due to ironblood. Also I haven't used malacath in while, i think being able to get those massive grave robber crits are better. That said I'm using http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=251620 build atm. I also just got a wild hunt ring which I'm testing out atm.