Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Antiquities are great, here are my ideas to make it better.

ImmortalCX
ImmortalCX
✭✭✭✭✭
I really like the system. The main problem is that there is no real "sleuthing" involved. You randomly stumble on leads and you dig them up. To get the mythics, you basically have to google the locations. If you didn't google the locations, it would take you a lifetime to collect all pieces.

Antiquities was run on the PTS and all the locations were known and published at launch. I was hoping that this was a "seeker" type of game, but that not what it is. Antiquities is a "pinata" game where you keep hitting the loot bags until they drop candy. And there is a 15 hour grind before you can start hitting the good loot bags with your stick.

My suggestion to make the mythic search "real", is to link clues to the locations of another piece to the one that you found. That way, you have a chance of exploring in-game and finding them. The google farmers can still google the locations for quick access.

How would the clues be implemented? There should be various seers around the world. Intermittent NPCs like Maik the Liar who are not always there, that you actually have to seek out and find. Some of them may know about pieces you found, others may not. These clues may lead to wild goose chases, or they may give solid intel. Each of the five pieces would have intel linked to the next piece in the series.

There are also mechanical problems with the scrying and excavation. First scrying.

The scrying game shows its potential at the lower levels, but as soon as you get to level 7 or 8, it becomes trivial. The puzzles should be actually solveable with minimal use of the special tools. Dont just randomize the pieces, use a code algorithm to build them so that they can be solved with minimal use of the tools. Make the radius of the "2" smaller, so that the length of the "4" may come into play.

Now this may be frustrating for some people. I'm looking for a puzzle that requires a bit of smarts to solve. Every fifth scrying puzzle, a dead easy one should be slipped in so that no one is gated by their IQ.

Regarding excavation, this system shows alot of promise. I really like the Mythic excavations. People say it is bugged, but the misdirection of the sparkles makes it so that I usually take up almost all the moves to dig it out. if the piece was exactly where it was supposed to be, it would be trivially easy.

To solve this, I still think there should be some misdirection, but instead of digging up the sparkles, the auger that finds the piece may be inaccurate or offset, in the same way that they are offset from the sparkles. This is how you would fix the minigame without making it trivial.

Finally, I'd like to suggest that there should be some unpublished mythic antiquities introduced into the system periodically. Why? To spark excitement about actually finding something. Maybe some antiquities are only available on some days, or certain weeks. Furthermore, I believe that a very small portion of antiquities should be tradeable so that gold seekers would be satisfied by the system.