Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Launcher VC Redist x64 UAC Prompt

silvereyes
silvereyes
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey all. Just posting this here in case it helps someone else.

If your PC is like mine, every time you open the ESO launcher, you get a UAC prompt about vcredist_x64.exe or vcredist_x64_2015.exe.

After some digging, I discovered that this is usually caused because you have a newer version of Visual C++ 2017 redistributable installed on your machine, so it causes the dependency check to fail.

The way I was able to fix it was to follow these steps:
  1. Download both x86 and x64 versions of the latest Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable from Microsoft
  2. Rename the downloaded x64 version to vcredist_x64_2015.exe
  3. Rename the downloaded x86 version to vcredist_x86_2015.exe
  4. Install both new downloaded packages and then reboot the PC when prompted. They will automatically replace any 2015, 2017, 2018 or 2019 versions of Visual C++ in your Apps and Features / Programs and Features control panel.
  5. In your Zenimax Online Launcher install location (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher), create a new folder named "bak"
  6. In your Zenimax Online Launcher install folder, move vcredist_x64_2015.exe and vcredist_x86_2015.exe that were bundled with the launcher into the new "bak" folder
  7. Move your downloads that you installed in step 4 into your Zenimax Online Launcher install folder.

Now, the next time you start your launcher, you shouldn't get any UAC prompt, because the version check will pass.

I hope this helps someone else.