The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A reminder

Rinthetharmo
Rinthetharmo
✭✭✭
A reminder that most of this was pushed through from home during this real life bs, and that we should all be a little thankful it was only a week delayed and that we have gotten as much as we have despite it all. Its not just you who have been home alone, try to show some respect and gratefulness, and a litte patience and give it a day or 2 to settle down. Take a walk or watch a movie, imagine fixing a server without proper access to equipment and staff during part of the process..
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A reminder that most of this was pushed through from home during this real life bs, and that we should all be a little thankful it was only a week delayed and that we have gotten as much as we have despite it all. Its not just you who have been home alone, try to show some respect and gratefulness, and a litte patience and give it a day or 2 to settle down. Take a walk or watch a movie, imagine fixing a server without proper access to equipment and staff during part of the process..

I 100% agree with this, OP.

*Braces for incoming nerdrage*
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It is within their best monetary interest to push out the update/expansion in a timely manner.

They are NOT doing a public service.

We are paying customers, they are employees. Our money is all the gratitude they need.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on that in terms of regular ZOS employees, they are really not to blame for all this, it all caused by decisions of their management. And so our jokes should be about ZOS as a company and not about workers.

But this has nothing to do with work from home, at least not from IT side. A lot of IT engineers and system administrators perform server upgrades/updates from home, if maintenance hours require this. Many work remotely for months. It is normal practice, and fact that such major problem as access to Greymoor went to live patch untested, can't be excused by "work from home".
  • koendrenthe8neb18_ESO

Wait, you can't post on these forums without complaining about the incompotent employees at zenimax!!!!!

kidding. 100% agree with you.

Kayila is my main bae - lvl 50-> - stamina nightblade pve - Bosmer - but for the covenant - With me since day 1.
    Qorith is my invention - lvl 50-> - stamina sorcerer - pvp - Breton - sorcies are fun to play.
    Zinfaren is my gardener lvl 50-> - magicka warden healer - Bosmer - all within nature's grasp.
    Alayaan is my priestess lvl 50-> - magicka templar healer - Breton - Gifts from the Gods.
    Bryenh is my summoner lvl 50-> - magicka sorcerer solo - Breton - Summons an army to defeat an army.
    Mareiss is my shield of ice lvl 50-> - magicka warden tank - Nord - Keeps allies safe with freezing cold.
    Mindra Attiel is my defence beyond death lvl 50-> - magicka necromancer tank - Breton - What is dead can never die.
    Palarain is my rally howl lvl 50-> - stamina templar pve - Redguard - Unleash the wolf within.
    Saalynna is my elemental smile lvl 50-> - magicka sorcerer pve - Breton - It's raining fireballs and lightning strikes.
    Viryne is my flame in the darkness lvl 50-> - magicka dragonknight pve - Dunmer - Nothing a little bit of fire won't fix.
    Viola Nobleborn is my rock lvl 50-> - stamina dragonknight tank - Imperial - From a noble family to a noble cause.
    Ariviane is my chaos unleashed lvl 50-> - magicka necromancer pve - Breton - There's no such thing as casualties.
    Kaystin is my pumping heart lvl 50-> - magicka nightblade pve - Breton - innocent with a bloody appetite.
  • Eryn_Darkthorn

It is within their best monetary interest to push out the update/expansion in a timely manner.

We are paying customers, they are employees. Our money is all the gratitude they need.

[snip]

Let's try this instead - Thank you to everyone who works hard on this game that I enjoy playing! I know you guys are doing the best you can and I am so excited to see Greymoor soon!

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 26, 2020 6:19PM
  • Mazra
    Mazra
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, I often find myself thanking the staff at the grocery store for being allowed to buy their things. So grateful that they allow me to exchange my money for their groceries. How nice of them. Good people. Sometimes, the clerk types in the wrong price, but I'm like "Good for you, man. That's not what the price tag says, but I'm just grateful you're allowing me to buy your stuff." Le sigh.

In all fairness, though, this is a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. One might argue that extended maintenance during expansion launch should be compensated in some way, but I'm sure they loophole'd their way out of that one in the EULA somewhere.
    Edited by Mazra on May 26, 2020 3:04PM
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    They're a software and marketing company. The impact of Covid is close to zero on operations. If you believe a ZOS employee is actually walking into a server closet, bless your heart. At the same time, their player base is inflated by stay at home players (according to ZOS) so the business impact is net positive. Coming from a similar industry, I feel very lucky all things considered and so should ZOS.

Recommend you focus your sympathy elsewhere on people / companies that actually need help.
  • Rinthetharmo
    Rinthetharmo
    ✭✭✭
    Mazra wrote: »
    Ah, yes, I often find myself thanking the staff at the grocery store for being allowed to buy their things. So grateful that they allow me to exchange my money for their groceries. How nice of them. Good people. Sometimes, the clerk types in the wrong price, but I'm like "Good for you, man. That's not what the price tag says, but I'm just grateful you're allowing me to buy your stuff." Le sigh.

In all fairness, though, this is a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. One might argue that extended maintenance during expansion launch should be compensated in some way, but I'm sure they loophole'd their way out of that one in the EULA somewhere.

During this time right now, yes.
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

[snip]

Every employee will always have my gratitude trying their best to get the job done, especially in these difficult times and they also have my respect.

My five cent B)

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 26, 2020 6:16PM
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we should blame a cat.

This whole incident clearly has "cat annoyed owner was working and not feeding it more" written all over it.

Cats are the real working from home hazard.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • koendrenthe8neb18_ESO
    They're a software and marketing company. The impact of Covid is close to zero on operations. If you believe a ZOS employee is actually walking into a server closet, bless your heart. At the same time, their player base is inflated by stay at home players (according to ZOS) so the business impact is net positive. Coming from a similar industry, I feel very lucky all things considered and so should ZOS.

Recommend you focus your sympathy elsewhere on people / companies that actually need help.

this is big bull. Sure the boost in the player base is a positive thing, but working from home always has negative aspects when it comes to work. development is so much more than sitting behind a desk and put a few lines of code in. It also involves a lot of problem solving, meetings, and crucial decision making while working with hard deadlines, whilst not having the normal social interaction with increases stress. That they managed to keep the delay within a week is admirable in itself considering the epidemic.

source: i'm a game programmer.

Kayila is my main bae - lvl 50-> - stamina nightblade pve - Bosmer - but for the covenant - With me since day 1.
    Qorith is my invention - lvl 50-> - stamina sorcerer - pvp - Breton - sorcies are fun to play.
    Zinfaren is my gardener lvl 50-> - magicka warden healer - Bosmer - all within nature's grasp.
    Alayaan is my priestess lvl 50-> - magicka templar healer - Breton - Gifts from the Gods.
    Bryenh is my summoner lvl 50-> - magicka sorcerer solo - Breton - Summons an army to defeat an army.
    Mareiss is my shield of ice lvl 50-> - magicka warden tank - Nord - Keeps allies safe with freezing cold.
    Mindra Attiel is my defence beyond death lvl 50-> - magicka necromancer tank - Breton - What is dead can never die.
    Palarain is my rally howl lvl 50-> - stamina templar pve - Redguard - Unleash the wolf within.
    Saalynna is my elemental smile lvl 50-> - magicka sorcerer pve - Breton - It's raining fireballs and lightning strikes.
    Viryne is my flame in the darkness lvl 50-> - magicka dragonknight pve - Dunmer - Nothing a little bit of fire won't fix.
    Viola Nobleborn is my rock lvl 50-> - stamina dragonknight tank - Imperial - From a noble family to a noble cause.
    Ariviane is my chaos unleashed lvl 50-> - magicka necromancer pve - Breton - There's no such thing as casualties.
    Kaystin is my pumping heart lvl 50-> - magicka nightblade pve - Breton - innocent with a bloody appetite.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    woufff wrote: »
    Firstmep wrote: »

[snip]

Every employee will always have my gratitude trying their best to get the job done, especially in these difficult times and they also have my respect.

My five cent B)

No, i live in a county where people pay with money, not rainbows and gratitude.

Also, millions of people were laid off due to the Covid pandemic, beacuse their jobs couldnt be done from home or their companies couldnt weather the storm.

If you think that ZOS employees worked from home, to deliver this update out of the kindness of their hearts, then i suggest you wake up to reality.

And for the record i am not trying to rip on ZOS employees, good on them that they were able to deliver the update in such a timely manner, just dont act like they are saving the world or something.

Millions of doctors and nurses work around the world on infected people, taking a huge risk, how about you go ahead and thanks those people instead? Employees of a big money making corporation do not need your thanks, they need your money.

And again i have nothing aganist ZOS employees, if anything i find the OP-s premise that we should somehow be thankful for this patch to come out less delayed to be weird, beacuse once again, if they didnt deliver this expac on time, it wouldve hurt the comapny financely.

Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 26, 2020 6:17PM
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...imagine a world where Zenimax is actually upgrading their servers and equipment. ...just imagine it, because it's not happening now, and seems unlikely to be happening anytime soon.

This delay is software related. The lag and other performance issues that are keeping the game from playing properly are almost certainly the hardware related problems that still need to be addressed with upgrades.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I work for an international company who just pushed out a major software patch to paying account customers that only activated on accounts that had paid for the functionality upgrade. We all work from home and have to vpn into our organisation to config the back end tin. We test and retest our rollout and run comprehensive scenario and admin assurance to make sure we get it right for our customers first time. Again working from home. No sympathy from me I'm afraid.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They could have postponed as we aren't forcing them to bring out content in a rush, we just want playable existing content first.

Praises are given when praises are due, nothing is for free in life - this game itself is an example.
  • mic88
    mic88
    Soul Shriven
    Acording to an old Zenimax saying: patch day no play! So simple
  • Gorrvald
    Gorrvald
    ✭✭

Nice to see a little decency around here - sorely needed. Cheers! :)
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure! I totally agree with you, but that still won't stop me from popping a few jokes on the forums when there's been another day of maintenance. Because you have to admit that it's funny when these banners show up which read something along the lines of the issue has been resolved but 10 seconds later there's another problem.

Software buggers up all the time. These programs are pretty complex. I'm studying to become a Software Developer myself, and I totally love this game, but that doesn't stop me from making jokes though!

Sue me!
  • dominguero96
    dominguero96
    ✭✭✭

We could give them the benefit of the doubt...or we could remember that it isn't the first time things like this happens, and without any working-at-home. So no, no excuse of Covid-19.
    Probably one of the worst DLC launches, apart from the 3 days maintenance in PC-EU.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...we should all be a little thankful it was only a week delayed and that we have gotten as much as we have despite it all.

Well, given that PC/EU appears to be totally inaccessible, for most people right now, we haven't technically received anything, yet.

So, much as I appreciate the effort, I would be pretty hard pressed to appreciate much else, currently, because there isn't anything available, other than a new char screen, to appreciate. :smile:

• Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

Let's try this instead - Thank you to everyone who works hard on this game that I enjoy playing! I know you guys are doing the best you can and I am so excited to see Greymoor soon!

We have to work outsides to. And? No one thanks us for a way more important work.
    Edited by Atreidus on May 26, 2020 8:16PM
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A little reminder that game servers have been mulfunctioning for months and months ...rl bs part I agree.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

A reminder.
    Day ends for EU players in less than 4 h from now, and these who havent been able to log in thanks to fiasco we experience now with EU servers will miss their daily loggin rewards on top of all other stuff they might have planned to do in ESO today.
  • Ciana_Rilian
    Ciana_Rilian
    ✭✭✭

So I'm curious per your example. If your mum makes you dinner, do you a)thank her or b)just tell her that it's about time she did what was expected of her?[/quote]

I am all for a bit of civility...

... but I have to ask, when did you start paying your mum to make dinner?[/quote]

Probadly someone who thinks being a mother is a job, and not a lifechoice you make out of love and the desire to have a creation of your own.
  • angrydrew
    angrydrew
    ✭✭✭
    cant stop laughing if people seriously think lots of little programmers are stuffed into a little room busy mashing lines of code and not feet up on a desk using bits of old code and saying to themselves that'll do .oo and its one thing to be a so called software-engineer but when you actually build test commission networks for a living you know that even if you the best software geek on the planet if you don't have the space you don't have the space.So please stop defending the money men after all they took you money too .
  • fluffycannibalb16_ESO
    Honestly? It's not the problems that are annoying me so much as their customer service. They've had that same "We'll keep you updated" message pinned to the top of the forum for hours with (wait for it...) no actual update and no information. Given the multitude of channels they have available to them to get information out to the players, is it really so hard for them to tell us wtf is going on?
    Fluff'ii - EP Sneaky-Cat-People
    Elendil Ellesar - EP Stabby-Stabby-Healer
    Khalisah al-Sinan - EP Fire-Breathing-Shieldy-Person
    Liara Motierre - EP Blinky-Storm-Mage
    Fetches-Fetches-Glitter - EP Lizard-Light-Smasher
    Zevran Demnevanni - EP Sneaky-Vampire-Mage
    Vindictal - EP Evil-necROMANCEr
    Shepard Andersson - EP Smashy-Dragon-Man
    Anduille - EP Cute-Bosmer-Bear-Lover
    Eamhair Eimhir - EP Necro-Poison-Wolf-Girl
    Orlog gro-Morkul - EP Smashy-Sorc-Orc
    Lucien la Malfaisance - EP Book-Beamer
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes but imagine the rage if they had delayed it further?!

And having been trying to work on a big-ish IT project from home during this time myself, I can agree that it is less than ideal, and we have had to delay the implementation of something that would actually make a difference in real life, not just something for entertainment.

So all those annoyed & upset about the issues today, please, just take a deep breath & chill. It will be ok, and you will be able to play. 😘
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm not thankful at all that this patch was put out. I wanted it deleted.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have been putting up with this stuff for years. Long before malware times :|
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I and many others still havent got our copy of Greymoor nor a code to use until I get my copy so nothing has been delivered as far as Im concerned. I pre-ordered in January, 5 months ago. I really dont understand why they couldnt have arranged for purchase verification/temp codes earlier than they did. They knew that shipping was going to be a problem. How many weeks will we have to miss out on guild activities in the new content before we get a code?

Edited by Katahdin on May 26, 2020 8:32PM
    Beta tester November 2013