The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My experience with veteran dungeons

kralskritek
Hello,
I am fairly new player (300 cp) and I have recently started doing some vet dungeons as healer and I have done like 8 runs and I was kicked 3x times from the groups so i am wondering... And I want to say that I tried to prepare for mechanics (i was watching videos on youtube)...
1.) My first veteran dungeon run was Banished cells I. Dungeon was totally ok until the last boss. I knew he can throw that fireball which hits hard... but what the hell? I was killed by that fireball all the times and it always insta-killed me - no chance of surviving that attack... How can I block it or dodge it when he casts it so fast? Well, when my group died they instantly kicked me out of the group. Not a great start right...
2.) Then I was running other veteran dungeons and I finished 5 runs (and also Banished Cells I - but he did not cast that fireball this run against me).
3.) Yesterday I tried out Selene's Web ... Again, everything was totally ok until the second form of Selene. She had like 30% of health and all adds (like 10) were all attacking me and I wasnt able to survive to long because i ran out of magicka and the group immediately kicked me out. So again, what to do as healer in this dungeon? Where should I stand so I will not be attacked by all adds?

So i am wondering... Is this a mentality of ppl who run veteran content that one misstake = kick, or is it more like when healer does misstake = kick? It starts to be quite stresful for me even run this dungeons, because there is no way how to learn the mechanics when there is totally no tolerance...

Thanks ;)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First things first. Of they kick you because they get one shoted, they are stupid. If they kicked you because the damage is low and they didn't focus adds so they got overwhelmed, they are stupid. If they kicked you without talking, they are stupid. If they kick healer in dungeons for survivability reasons, they are probably, 100%, stupid.

Now that we established that, during my beginning (for example banished cells 1) I would always get ready to block after a while he didn't cast it or shield up so I don't get one shotted, at the time it was accelerating to manage to block it. So ye sure, it takes time to get used to it, but if dds don't block as well and die, lol, their problem... :D

I would recommend joining a guild though and just running with them. Pugs can be... Pugs sometimes. They can't comprehend that usually the fault is theirs.
    Edited by zvavi on May 19, 2020 5:21PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was likely a bad or inexperienced group and they probably kicked you because of your CP, hoping the replacement would be higher. They should have known though that at that CP it's easy to die from Rilis' blast, you need a lot of shielding not to, and they could have at least asked for you to use a shield or weather it out with you dying. That blast happened to all of us :D There are specific times when he does it, I don't rememmber the rhythm, but for eg., it might come after his heavy attack, so you can preemptively dodge. As for Selene, the adds pilling up is the DDs fault (I assume you were the healer in both dungeons?) and even the tank's, because there is a spot where the tank can taunt Selene that's further from where the adds sppawn, so for a lower damage group it's good as it's not immediately overwhelming from incoming damage. So my guess is the rest of the group wasn't very good and they found an 'excuse' in your deaths to kick you for low CP. Like the comments above said, group finder is really hit-or-miss, always better to run with guildmates.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a healer it really helps to run a little more health than DDs, something like 20k should be enough to prevent most one-shots.

Knowing tactics is also very important, if you keep your buffs up, stay out of red and block hits that randomly target someone you should be able to survive.

A small tip, if the boss charges an attack you can hold block for a second. You can release block when you see the projectile isnt coming towards you. I find that easier than reacting when something is coming my way.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    She had like 30% of health and all adds (like 10) were all attacking me and I wasnt able to survive to long because i ran out of magicka and the group immediately kicked me out. So again, what to do as healer in this dungeon?

Uhm, simply don't run out of Magicka. But for real, I would recommend you as a new healer to run very high sustain as it has very little downsides.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [Snip]

Healer is not just some role you pick because you suck at dps. You’re expected to do nearly as much dps as the damage dealer, give a little rss back maybe buff group or debuff boss.

You’re doing dungeons, not trials. Try using hollowfang, NMA, sentinel or some group oriented sets. Maybe throw on some Iceheart and try not dying for a little while. The tank does not need your heals. Unless they’re bad too. Very little heals need to go out and do more damage.

Otherwise you’re just being a hard carry at best.

[Snip]

[Edited for baiting/bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 20, 2020 12:53AM
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i am wondering... Is this a mentality of ppl who run veteran content that one misstake = kick, or is it more like when healer does misstake = kick? It starts to be quite stresful for me even run this dungeons, because there is no way how to learn the mechanics when there is totally no tolerance...

I hardly doubt you are being kicked for dying one time. Max levels sometimes slip and die, and we move on.

You being kicked has 95% to due with you being champ 300. They just assume you are not able to do the mechanic, or you are not healing enough. Thats not your fault, but it is what it is.

It doesnt help you learn the dungeon at all, but there mentality is "hes/shes not my problem, might as well que for someone higher/knows what they are doing"
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a healer it really helps to run a little more health than DDs, something like 20k should be enough to prevent most one-shots.

Knowing tactics is also very important, if you keep your buffs up, stay out of red and block hits that randomly target someone you should be able to survive.

A small tip, if the boss charges an attack you can hold block for a second. You can release block when you see the projectile isnt coming towards you. I find that easier than reacting when something is coming my way.

I have to agree with this. If you are below 20K health, you are going to die in all group content a lot.

But as a healer, you need to focus on 2 things: healing the tank and applying debuffs. While everyone should be kept alive, the tank must be kept alive. Debuffs are also important for the DPS to burn the boss down. If you get a good balance, you should be fine.

If you are DPSing while healing, that is a good way to get kicked. The best way to get kicked? Not knowing mechanics. That sounds like the bigger issue. Not ripping you, this is a common problem when people start doing vet dungeons. You need to know mechanics so you can stand in the right place, drop the right ulti at the right time, and know where the DPS and tank should be in that situation to heal them. Its time consuming, but you'll get it.

Last piece of advice, try running these things as a DPS first. Will be much easier to know all of these things
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I am fairly new player (300 cp) and I have recently started doing some vet dungeons as healer and I have done like 8 runs and I was kicked 3x times from the groups so i am wondering... And I want to say that I tried to prepare for mechanics (i was watching videos on youtube)...
    1.) My first veteran dungeon run was Banished cells I. Dungeon was totally ok until the last boss. I knew he can throw that fireball which hits hard... but what the hell? I was killed by that fireball all the times and it always insta-killed me - no chance of surviving that attack... How can I block it or dodge it when he casts it so fast? Well, when my group died they instantly kicked me out of the group. Not a great start right...
    2.) Then I was running other veteran dungeons and I finished 5 runs (and also Banished Cells I - but he did not cast that fireball this run against me).
    3.) Yesterday I tried out Selene's Web ... Again, everything was totally ok until the second form of Selene. She had like 30% of health and all adds (like 10) were all attacking me and I wasnt able to survive to long because i ran out of magicka and the group immediately kicked me out. So again, what to do as healer in this dungeon? Where should I stand so I will not be attacked by all adds?

Thanks ;)

These were the saddest people in the game. you did nothing wrong. i suggest you join a guild that likes to do like things so you can play and learn along side them. healers are support roles so keep the shards/orbs coming so people dont run out of resources and they will be happy. As far as being 1 shotted it takes time and reps to learn mechanics just keep it up. and the ads on Selenes that was the tanks job to chain them in and the DPS to burn them down. Also, make sure you stay close to the fight, some bosses will fly or jump to the furthest person from them and that messes up the dps and makes people mad :) good luck! and if you need a guild look for What a Mess we are a training and trade guild :)
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I missed someone saying this, only skimmed the thread. For things like the BC1 boss (also helps with SC1 last boss, Elden Hollow, City of Ash...), positioning is key. The tank is supposed to always turn the boss away from the group, while you stay on the other side. The boss turns around to cast at you. So basically if your tank is doing this, if the boss turns around, you dodge. He might be going for a DD and not you, but better safe than sorry.