The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Alt crafter, should I upgrade materials skill line?

ImmortalCX
ImmortalCX
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a lvl 50 character who I have leveled up the skill lines. This was a power level during an event, I didn't quest or collect skyshards. Thus very few skill points.

Currently just doing daily writs. Is there any monetary benefit to upgrading all the skill lines to the highest material? I noticed I am getting surveys, but haven't seen any writs yet. Trying to decide what the cost/benefit of farming skill points to invest in material skill line.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rate of surveys is basically constant at all levels in the skill lines (about 12.5%, or 1 in 8)

Gold improvement material drop rate goes up as you put in more skill points (about 3% at level 1, to 30% at level 10)

Master Writs ONLY drop at max level. You will not get any at lower levels.

It is SUBSTANTIALLY more profitable to do daily writs at maximum level over doing them at lower levels, for the gold improvement materials alone.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Options
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to maximize the financial benefits of daily writs, then as tmbrinks said, it would be worthwhile to put the skill points into blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking and also enchanting for the gold temper/kuta returns.

Provisioning is actually more profitable (as far as selling recipes) to do somewhere between level 3-5 (out of 6). The return of blue and purple recipes is (anecdotally) higher at those levels than at max-tier, and only the purple CP150 levels sell well because the market is flooded by the greens/blues, whereas I have no problem selling all levels of recipes at the lower tiers.

With alchemy it's important to get past level 1-2 writs because IIRC they call for 3 cornflower in addition to the potion/poison on certain days and that was/is one of the most costly ingredients on the open market. So it's less about maximizing profits as opposed to minimizing losses with this one. The surveys are what gets you gold on this one, as even the master writs are only worth 2 or 5 vouchers 90% of the time with an oddball 40 voucher legendary recipe one thrown in.

I'm not up to tmbrinks' level of writ proficiency, but I'm doing them on 12 characters daily on console, and I have them all doing max-tier on everything except jewelry (just because I haven't leveled those skill lines up yet) and provisioning (to farm for the lower-tier recipes).
    Edited by Feric51 on May 12, 2020 6:39PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just quickly (so it needs a bit of refining), made a spreadsheet similar to my tab for the costs for max level writs to do the same thing for minimum level writs.

For max level writs, if you sold everything, did the master writs, sold items from the vendor, etc.. you could expect to make about 536,000 gold per character per month.

At minimum level, the expected profit is down to 278,000 gold per month per character.

Nearly a 50% loss AND this still assumes you are picking up your surveys at maximum level.

In short. DO YOUR WRITS AT MAXIMUM LEVEL!!!! (Provisioning optional, for reasons Feric mentioned above)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    Options
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I just quickly (so it needs a bit of refining), made a spreadsheet similar to my tab for the costs for max level writs to do the same thing for minimum level writs.

For max level writs, if you sold everything, did the master writs, sold items from the vendor, etc.. you could expect to make about 536,000 gold per character per month.

At minimum level, the expected profit is down to 278,000 gold per month per character.

Nearly a 50% loss AND this still assumes you are picking up your surveys at maximum level.

In short. DO YOUR WRITS AT MAXIMUM LEVEL!!!! (Provisioning optional, for reasons Feric mentioned above)

In a related question, does a character have to be level 50 to get all these benefits?
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »

In a related question, does a character have to be level 50 to get all these benefits?

No (with the exception of the survey drops, since overland materials are half character level and half crafting level)

But you're unlikely to have enough skill points below level 50 to max them all out, it is possible, but you'd have to actively go out of your way to get skyshards and NOT level :smile:
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The direct gold reward from writs scales with character level, so you'd be operating with somewhat lower return.
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drop rate of surveys is basically constant at all levels in the skill lines (about 12.5%, or 1 in 8)
    Just add to this. Keep your alts at 1 for wood/cloth/blacksmith until you have the 9 skill points to jump them to 10. Transfer any surveys through your bank to your main crafter to build a stockpile of endgame mats. The craft cost per item per writ is higher at max rank, so you need to build a reserve. This also lets you manage 2 tiers of mats, for those without a craftbag, instead of 10.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • seecodenotgames
    seecodenotgames
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do everyone at rank 1 (except my main, which was the only one at rank 10). I have since changed all my cp160+ characters to use rank 10 for everything except Jewelry and enchanting (still leveling), and found a massive increase in returns from gold mats.

My originally reason for not using rank 10 was because I didn't want to use up all my cp160 mats, but since wood and blacksmithing no longer sell well in guild stores I can use the mats I get back from the surveys to keep stocked up. The only downside is now I can no longer sell all my survey mats for clothing and jewelry, since these still sell for a reasonable price.
    Houses on PC EU (newest first)
    • 62. Sand Castles (Fogbreak Lighthouse) - A literal life size sand castle
    • 61. Riften Meadery (Old Mistveil Manor) - A new meadery has opened outside Riften
    • 60. Helene's Writing Room (Golden Gryphon Garret) - A small room for Helene to get some quiet writing time
    • 59. Picnic at Pelin (Black Vine Villa) - Based on the lore book Picnic at Pelin (A Horror Story)
    • 58. Almalexias Temple (Forsaken Stronghold) - A Dunmer Tower with a shrine to the three
    • 57. Pirate New Life For Me (Highhallow Hold) - A pirate tavern where they gift you loot
    • 56. Woodvine Cathedral (Agony's Ascent) - A living cathedral thriving in the Deadlands
    • 55. Dark Elf Town House (Quondam Indorilia) - A small and cosy town house on the edge of Mournhold
    • 54. The Secret Tower (Exorcised Coven Cottage) - A hidden mage tower in the swamps on the Hag Fen
    • 53. Knight Club (Frostvault Chasm) - A disco in a dwarven mineshaft
    • 52. Dwemer Cave City (The Erstwhile Sanctuary) - A lost dwarven city has been found deep underground
    • 51. Alinor Gryphon Aerie (Colossal Aldmeri Grotto) - A place where gryphons are trained
    • 50. The Charred Towers (Doomchar Plateau) - Deadlands themed fortress with two towers and custom furniture
    • 49. Argonian Sea Town (Tel Galen) - An Argonian sea port
    • 48. Daedric Princess Tower (Seaveil Spire) - An underwater tower dedicated to the Daedric Prince Meridia
    • 47. Fargrave Observatory (Ossa Accentium) - An observatory in the portal realm of Fargrave
    • 46. Hundings Beach House (Hundings Palatial Hall) - Beach house and hottub
    • 45. Crystal Gardens (Snugpod) - Enchanted Gardens with crystalline trees
    • 44. Dawnlight Health Spa (Princely Dawnlight Palace) - Our spa waters are revitalising and ready to heal your aching body
    • 43. Mountainside Retreat (Pariah's Pinnacle) - An orc mountainside hall with an amazing view
    • 42. Volcanic Vile Villa (Kushalit Sanctuary) - A private hollowed out volcano for all your mad alchemist needs
    • 41. Arenthian Water Temple (Strident Springs Demesne) - A relaxing water temple outside Arenthia
    • 40. Woodland Cottage (Ald Velothi Harbor House) - A house in a tree, but not a treehouse
    • 39. Winter Snow Meadhall (Enchanted Snow Globe Home) - A winter meadhall has opened to get everyone in the festive mood
    • 38. Fire and Ice Hotel (Elinhir Private Arena) - An new hotel has opened with an ice bar and a lava room
    • 37. City of Princes (Pantherfang Chapel) - Citadese is under attack from a dragon invasion. Prince Tarvia is leading the escape through the sewers.
    • 36. Dark Brotherhood Home (Stay-Moist Mansion) - A Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary found beneath an Argonian village
    • 35. Volkihar Courtyard (Velothi Reverie) - A castle courtyard modelled on the famous Volkihar Castle in Skyrim
    • 34. Rada's Summer Getaway (Potentate's Retreat) - A Redguard mansion with a dark vampiric secret in the basement
    • 33. Cascadia Wine N Dine (Sweetwater Cascades) - Vineyard and meadery with two restaurants and a chapel
    • 32. Walled Kitchen Garden (Amaya Lake Lodge) - Fresh produce and cut flowers for sale. Hot food served in a family restaurant.
    • 31. Luckycat Summerhouse (Lucky Cat Landing) - A khajiiti villa with spa and dining
    • 30. Helene's Boutique (Water's Edge) - The famous dressmaker has opened a new dress shop in town
    • 29. Alinor Garden Party (Mathiisen Manor) - A party in the flower gardens of a Altmer noble's manor
    • 28. Markarth Bath House (Stone Eagle Aerie) - A relaxing spa and bath house with an arts and craft centre
    • 27. Treeboat house (The Gorinir Estate) - No one know how an imperial ship ended up in the treetops
    • 26. Varlaisvea College (Varlaisvea Ayleid Ruins) - An ancient library has been discovered deep inside an Ayleid ruin
    • 25. City on the Moon (The Orbservatory Prior) - Moonbase with housing and an inn under the stars
    • 24. Lakemire Water Gardens (Lakemire Xanmeer Manor) - Relaxing hanging gardens and a fish restaurant beneath the Xanmeer
    • 23. Hircine's Hunt Club (Hunters Glade) - A relaxing villa for werewolves to feast in the ever refilling hunting grounds
    • 22. Lost Dwarven Kingdom (Shalidor’s Shrouded Realm) - A lost Dwemer king's palace has been found in a mage's pocket realm
    • 21. Replaced with 54. The Secret Tower
    • 20. Topal Fishing Resort (Grand Topal Hideaway) - A resort in the middle of a fishing lake on a private island
    • 19. Castleton Manor (Alinor Crest Townhouse) - The home of Lord Castleton and his daughter Sonja
    • 18. Cave of BBQ N Ribs (Earthtear Cavern) - A secret rocky dome, hosts a BBQ and ribs restaurant
    • 17. Who Lived in a Shoe (The Ample Domicile) - There was an old reach witch who lived in a shoe
    • 16. Dwemer Party Tower (Hall of the Lunar Champion - Lion's Cradle) - A dwarven flying tower repurposed for parties
    • 15. A Taste of Alinor (Sleek Creek House) - A small piece of Alinor beside a creek
    • 14. Lava Submarine Base (Bastion Sanguinaris) - An evil vampire alchemy lab, accessible only via a lava submarine
    • 13. Spirit-tree Library (Wraithhome) - A library built atop an ancient forest within an ancient Daedric ruin
    • 12. Golden Beach Palace (Thieves' Oasis) - A dwarven inspired Redguard beach resort
    • 11. Mad Scientists House (Cyrodilic Jungle House) - Workshop and garage with an experimental De-lore-ean
    • 10. Big Toy House (Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery) - Two life sized doll's houses and a inn beneath the stairs
    • 9. Icy Falls Inn (Forgemaster Falls) - Two Nord lodges on a lake, serving mead and fresh fish
    • 8. Blue-ice Palace (Stillwaters Retreat) - Solitude, but on a frozen lake
    • 7. Mushroom Manor (Coldharbour Surreal Estate) - Dunmer house built from giant mushrooms
    • 6. Vampire Academy with wine bar (Daggerfall Overlook) - Come for the nibbles; stay for eternity
    • 5. Three Pillows War (Grymharth's Woe) - Re-enact the three banners war with pillow forts and floof balls
    • 4. Treefern House (Moon-sugar meadow) - Giant treefern treehouse
    • 3. Artaeum Theatre/Opera housel (Grand Psijic Manor) - Tiered Balcony
    • 2. Imperial Bridal Suite (Linchal Grand Manor) - Wedding venue with bridal suite extension
    • 1. Dragonguard Penthouse (Jode's Embrace) - 3 Extra floors, with indoor conservatory and top floor gym
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A trick on power leveling Enchanting: Just make the Superb variant, not the Truly Superb one. Both seemed (to me at least) make the same boost and the Superb ingredient you buy is a LOT cheaper from the enchanting vendor.

(You can help power level your own JC and Enchanting by making the things to disenchant on another one of your characters.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ImmortalCX

First of all, my own motivation for crafting is to make items primarily for use by my own characters and, sometimes, by friends and fellow Guild members. Selling crafted items in the Guild Stores via Guild Traders is a secondary, although important, consideration. I don't sell crafting materials very often, because I use them, although I do "farm" Alchemy Reagents and Solvents to also sell.
    1. Deconstructing items is ordinarily a major source of crafting materials. So, allocating Skill Points to deconstruct armor and weapons, and extract Runestones from Glyphs, is a high priority. Increasing the number of Skill Points yields more materials and higher-level materials.
    2. Allocating Skill Points to maximize each Hireling passive becomes a worthwhile investment over the long-term.
    3. Allocating Skill Points to Improve armor, weapons, and jewelry also increases the likelihood that deconstructing an item will produce higher-level materials. IIRC, it also increases the likelihood that a higher level of materials will be delivered by Hirelings.
    Personally, I always maximize all passives for Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking, Alchemy, Enchanting, and Provisioning, respectively. The only exception is that I might not maximize the Provisioning passive that increases the amount of time that a Beverage provides its buff(s), because I prefer to use Foods instead of Beverages to buff my characters. (Jewelry crafting is a separate matter.)

The Recipes that I sell are ones which my characters already know or do not need to learn. They are most commonly obtained as a Daily Crafting Writ reward, and from looting containers such as bags, barrels, crates, chests, and backpacks. Further, "furnishing recipes" and some other items are can be purchased with vouchers earned by completing Sealed Master Crafting Writs.

Enjoy!

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
    Options