Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Nirnhoned vs Reinforced ( Armour ) / Sharpened ( Weapons )

Easily_Lost
Easily_Lost
✭✭✭✭✭
Was wondering which is better:
Armour: Nirnhoned vs Sharpened
Weapon: Nirnhoned vs Reinforced
PC - NA - AD
started April 2015
PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sharpened armour for sure.... BiS forever >:)
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On weapons, sharpened is generally more damage unless you're fighting squishy enemy and already have a lot of penetration. Nirnhoned however also increases your healing in that bar.

On armor, reinforced is percentage based, while nirnhoned gives a flat bonus. Which is better depends on the armor piece itself. Big pieces of heavy armor will definitely get more benefit from reinforced.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2h gold sharpened is 2752 pen, which relations to about 4,2% damage increase as long as you don't overpenetrate. (660 is 1%)
    But 2h gold Nirn also boosts your heals and your weapon/ spell damage get modified by brutality/ sorcery.

Gold Reinforced on heavy chest is 443 armor at best, which is 0,67% armor increase.
    Nirn is onyl 301 armor. So it only outperforms Reinforced on smaller armor or lighter armor parts.

I wouldn't use reinforced or nirn on armor anyway. There are far better traits. Namely divines (pve), impen/ well fitted (pvp) or sturdy.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All right I messed up.

Armour: Nirnhoned vs Reinforced
    Weapon: Nirnhoned vs Sharpened
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you confused the two, armor can be burn/reinf, not nirn/sharp.

Second, armor. nirn is flat armor bonus vs reinforced that depends on the armor of your piece cause it is % wise. So for heavy armor big pieces reinforced will be better, while small pieces for light armor will get more from nirn. The exact line of when each is better, idk.

Third, weapons. Depends on your build. Many times infused/precise are also good choices. Generally it depends on your cp, what kind of content you run, etc etc, there is no define answer.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For my PvP setup I use Nirnhoned on both weapons.

Why? Heal. Weapon damage increases Vigor strength.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to depend on your circumstances. PvE (you mention PvE in your signature) or PvP (and also mention solo only; PvP?)? DD, healer, or tank?

Reminder: tanks do not need to aim for resistance cap at base to still be effective, as you get various buffs which will put you at cap or even above it in a raid situation (dungeon or trial; buffs from healers, self-buffs from class Major Resolve, heavy armour skill, or Balance). I was in a dungeon recently with someone who was running a full reinforced setup claiming to be "buff af." This was before using a source of Major Resolve, which put them close to 40k resistances. Min-maxing resistance hasn't been a thing for years, much like perma-blocking.

Nirnhoned on armour for DDs or healers is also somewhat pointless as it decreases your DPS over Divines/Infused making use of Mundus or max resources. If your tank is doing their job at least somewhat competently, then you don't really need to worry about resistances over what you get from base gear armour stats.

In PvP, Nirnhoned on weapons is commonplace.

If you mean exclusively solo PvE content (this isn't clear), then... you can do just about any build. I used a full PvP setup with impenetrable purple gear and a purple sharpened staff on a vMA flawless run. Just to give a comparison. You don't really need to min-max for overland or even basic dungeon/arena content to still be effective.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my PvP setup I use Nirnhoned on both weapons.

Why? Heal. Weapon damage increases Vigor strength.

This in a nutshell and Impreg for Armor

Be Safe