Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Pure melee "non magic" build?

High_Marshal
High_Marshal
✭✭✭
I have an idea for a character that only uses abilities that are not magical. I am not talking stamina morphs, but abilities that do not in any way look that they are magical. I know most of that would come from weapon and fighter skill lines. I was looking at sets that would improve physical/weapon damage along with any base damage increases like Dreugh King Slayer and Slimecraw. Add a race like Orc or Dark Elf for bonus damage.

I am looking at possibly using:
Orc
2H Swords
Slimecraw
Dreugh King Slayer weapons and jewelry
Medium armor set like Strength of the Automaton, Toothrow, Titanborn Strength or Heem-Ja's Retribution.

Skills like Evil Hunter give Major Savagery to save from needing Toothrow if I have the slots available.

What class would be best for this?
Would it be viable in Vet content?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double 2H is not ideal for Vet content, @High_Marshal ... but you can get by in normal content with it.

A better option would be to keep one and swap out one for bow or dual wield.

Also, the limitations on skills you can slot is not exciting from a combat perspective.

Stamina Necromancer probably has the highest DPS ceiling. But, the easiest class to try this type of build on is Stamina Warden.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 5, 2020 5:26PM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Double 2H is not ideal for Vet content, @High_Marshal ... but you can get by in normal content with it.

It's not ideal, sure, but can do vet content with it absolutely fine. Just swap Endless Hail on Maelstrom Bow with Stampede on a Maelstrom BattleAxe. The ground aoe it leaves behind will keep proc'ing the infused backbar enchant just like Endless Hail. The battleaxe will also proc Heavy Weapons bleed as well the very strong DoT that is part of the Maelstrom weapon (2k dps tooltip) on top of the high dmg initial attack and ground dot. And your light attacks on backbar do as much dmg as the front bar.

I think when I had a look the DPS loss switching from Maelstrom Bow to Maelstrom Battleaxe isn't more than 2k-3k. Which in no way stops you from doing the hardest vet content at all. The only annoying this its 10" duration and you have to reapply more often.

EU | PC | AD
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have an idea for a character that only uses abilities that are not magical. I am not talking stamina morphs, but abilities that do not in any way look that they are magical. I know most of that would come from weapon and fighter skill lines. I was looking at sets that would improve physical/weapon damage along with any base damage increases like Dreugh King Slayer and Slimecraw. Add a race like Orc or Dark Elf for bonus damage.

I am looking at possibly using:
    Orc
    2H Swords
    Slimecraw
    Dreugh King Slayer weapons and jewelry
    Medium armor set like Strength of the Automaton, Toothrow, Titanborn Strength or Heem-Ja's Retribution.

Skills like Evil Hunter give Major Savagery to save from needing Toothrow if I have the slots available.

What class would be best for this?
    Would it be viable in Vet content?

I would go Orc Stamsorc, DW and Bow.

Front Bar: Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Whirling Blades, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, ULT: Dawnbreaker
    Back Bar: Endless Hail, Barbed Trap, {Flex}, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, ULT: Ballista

Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments and Dawnbreaker are there just for the passive damage increase.

Your problem here is that all sustain and healing skills (lke Dark Deal) are magic looking skills and that's definitively what I'd put in that flex spot. Otherwise you can put another FG skill for the passive weapon damage or poison injection to use only on execute range.

Another alternative is DW and 2H with small alterations.

Front Bar: Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Whirling Blades, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, ULT: Rend
    Back Bar: Stampede, Barbed Trap, {Flex}, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, ULT: Dawnbreaker

As for sets, since I assume you don't like Relequen, I'd go with NMA on the body and Lokkestiz or AY on the front bar.
    EU | PC | AD
  • High_Marshal
    High_Marshal
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about changing the concept a little bit to reflect what happens to the character in the beginning of the game. Dying and coming back without a soul means that some of Cold Harbor came back with him. Dark Shade would be an echo of his lost soul.

I am looking at Stamblade.
    That would allow me to take:
    B1- Reaper's Mark, Power Extraction, Brawler, Dizzying Swing, Reverse Slice. Incap Strike
    B2- Stampede,Dark Shade, Leeching Strikes, Relentless Focus, flex/Camo Hunter, Dawnbreaker.

I am also looking at warden since the animal summons look like you are calling or disturbing something, except for all the arm waving you do for the bear.