The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Warhorn for PVE healer

Tharca
Tharca
✭✭
I am a warden PVE healer. A build without warhorn is seemingly not acceptable, but the problem is that i have never set foot in pvp before. (Being a grandmother im not the fastest one)

So I come here for advice. What would be the easiest way for me to get enough AP to get the skill?

I read that battlegrounds is faster than Cyrodiil, but I am hesitant to do this, because i do not want to be the reason for my group to be hampered by me. Dying myself I dont mind since apparantly you even get AP by losing.

What should i do? Take a longer time through Cyrodiil or sign up for BG?
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the same boat as you.

BG's are way easier/faster, at least in my experience.
    Take the daily quest to do battlegrounds and you're there in no time.

I traveled to Cyrodiil 10 times but only once found a battle going on.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Houshiki
    Houshiki
    ✭✭✭✭
    While BGs is one of the fastest ways to grind AP. If you just don't want to PvP or even fight another player, then you can go to Cyrodiil and wander to your faction owned keeps to repair keep walls and doors. It'll take time and coin/AP (to buy the repair items), but you'll be able to lvl your alliance war skills in relative peace.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't actually have to do the daily quest to get the AP. Picking specific battleground groups will achieve the same AP, but not the xp gain.

This way, you can focus on the battlegrounds you are better at. I like the land grab types, as you don't have to fight as much.

There is an event coming which will double the AP gained from battlegrounds etc; you could always wait until then if you are having trouble.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing. At the end of the day, they are just battlegrounds. Just do your best and stick together for deathmatches.
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't take that long to do and healers are appreciated. If your own guild doesn't do PVP events you could try join one of the more casual ones that do. Alternatively keep asking for a group in zone chat. Defend keeps, repair doors and walls and once more comfortable go on the offensive. Plus there's a few "free" skill points on completing the Cyro intro quests.

It can be overwhelming at first but simply accept that it's going to be laggy, accept that you're going to die (quite alot) and make peace with being a zergling until you reach the rank you need then never come back if you don't enjoy it.

I'm running mostly healers in Cyro due to latency from this side of the world and it makes for a different experience to the drudgery of dungeon runs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PC EU
    Qura Scura | Altmer | MagBlade
    Lhylyth | Breton | MagPlar
    Nhynyth | Khajiit | MagDK
    Ghwynyth | Dunmer | MagSorc
    Loots-All-Urns | Argonian | MagDen
    Shades-Of-Gray | Argonian | StamDK
    Or'Chastration | Orc | StamSorc
    Little Miss Famished | Orc | StamCro
    Fhane Sharog | Orc | StamDen
    Dead Moons Rising | Khajiit | StamBlade
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done all of the training quests in cyrodil? This will get you up to level 2, and a couple of free skill points.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're in a guild that organizes PvP events, try joining them. Otherwise, you can do battlegrounds, but those can be frustrating for you and your team mates if your heart isn't in it, or you can hop into Cyrodiil and join random groups or just help take or defend keeps. It helps to make some gear specifically for use in Cyrodiil, no need to gold it or anything but just so enemies aren't mopping the floor with you every time you face one. It also helps to do it during Midyear Mayhem events, as AP are doubled then. I think there should be one soon after Greymoor launches, so if you are willing to wait it can cut down on the time you need to spend in PvP.

Alternatively, the resto staff ultimate Light's Champion also gives the Major Force buff that increases group critical damage, although it doesn't increase resources like Warhorn. You can use this until you get Warhorn, or even instead of Warhorn if the content and group don't require it.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leveled a lot of characters to Rank 4 or 5 in the PvP skill lines in Cyrodiil during the recent event. It doesn't take much time at all when there's double AP. And I'm not a PvPer at all. Also, I'm a grandfather.

Ideas I used included:

1. As noted above, waiting until it's double AP time is a great idea.
    2. If my characters had neither done nor skipped the training quests, those added up to quite a few AP.
    3. Repeatable quests give little AP, but it's not zero.
    4. Scouting board quests can often be done with zero PvP contact. You can pick them up when your alliance is getting clobbered, hopefully get a target that's very central, then come back later and do it when your alliance has much more territory.
    5. If you can solo a public dungeon, you can also flip a resource (farm, mine, or lumbermill). The main trick is to run into the "tower" and get out of line-of-sight of the enemies around the flag. Most commonly I do that, stay on the ground floor long enough to kill whoever chased me in (preferably including one of the healers), go up to the second floor, kill the mage, then come back down and finish. Of course, sometimes an enemy player shows up, and that's a problem. :)
    6. If a keep closest to your alliance base city has fallen, it will likely flip back soon to your side. Just being anywhere on the premises when that happens is a lot of AP, even if you weren't in the fighting.
    7. Find a fight. Do AoE heals. You'll get AP, especially if your side wins. And throw in some damage, just as you would in a dungeon.
    8. If you want to use almost your exact dungeon build, that's fine. If you craft some impenetrable Seducer armor, better.
    9. Always have a home alliance (I used the non-gated CP one in almost all cases.) You'll wind up getting over 50 transmute crystals in the mail. (You're guaranteed a geode with 50 crystals if you gain 25,000 AP during a single run of a 30-day campaign, under-level-50 campaigns excepted. You'll also get a geode with at least 4 crystals the first time each day you OPEN a Rewards of the Worthy email, and you'll get a couple of those while leveling up.)

Note: PvP rank, skill points and Rewards for the Worthy emails are, I believe, triggered by the same AP thresholds. These are NOT the same thresholds as those for ranking up in the Alliance War skill lines.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 30, 2020 12:36PM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Cyro, type "LFG" on the chat, you will most likely get invited to party. Get few cheapest 500 gold ballistas and just follow the crown. If there are some people with red healthbars, throw a grass and swing your resto few times. If your group is attacking a door, lay down your ballista and help them. You will get horn without even trying to fight in hour or less.
    If you kill boss in a delve you will get 30 min AP boost.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just follow a zerg

Ez, in and out
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really it's not that hard nor time consuming. I did the Cyrodiil introduction quest (just practice siege weapons, no PvP at all) and do like 5 or so battlegrounds and you have enough points to get that Warhorn skill.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. enter Cyrodiil
    2. type LFG in zone chat
    3. follow the group and heal/res your group members
    4. after about an hour you'll have War Horn unlocked
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do the training quests in Cyrodiil that will get you up to around level 2.

Kill a delve boss in Cyrodiil for the bonus xp for an hour or so, then follow or join a zerg and just heal players during battles, keep moving to the back of the group using other players as shields so you are harder to target, allowing you to stay alive and heal more.

That or buy a few stacks of wall/gate repair kits and go around to allied keeps and fix the damaged walls/gates.

Battlegrounds are ok but harder for a healer without an organized group which is currently not possible due to solo queue only.
  • Tharca
    Tharca
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for the tips and the encouraging words!

Ill try them and see what will suit me best.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think BGs are the best way to go but if you have legitimate reasons for staying out of them, I would suggest that you make sure you log in with your healer first on days when the reward is AP.

I have a couple of level 4 Tyros. I know it's only near the end of the month, when we do get it, but every little bit helps if all you want is Warhorn.

And if you do choose PVDoor in Cyrodiil, ignore zone chat. It can get reall weird and toxic at times.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midyear Mayhem will be some time between Greymoor and the following PTS. During this event, there is double AP. As someone else noted, killing a delve boss also gives bonus AP.

My advice: suck it up for the 2 weeks of MYM and zerg surf until you are Alliance rank 10. It won't take that long.

This way, in the future, any alt you have, you can just pay to unlock the skill line, and voila, Vigor on a level 1 toon.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craft a devensive full impen set. Make it 150cp if you want it cheap (stat diffence between 160cp is not huge). Then Equip a tank monster set. wear any jewels you like, SPC is decent.

Go to cyrodiil, find a zerg group, spam heals. Mutagen works best imo. If group is big use springs too. You can buy a few siege equipment (trebs and balistas are best for new players). Buy wood repair kits to repair gates too.

With these you will level alliance war skill line at a decent rate.

Extra tip: if you think you will die, roll dodge. Always keep major resolve up. Permafrost ult is OP.
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t underestimate yourself either in PvP. Initially it can be a little overwhelming, but you may end up finding out you enjoy it. I’ve run in several groups and guilds with “grandmothers” who are invaluable. Healers are always needed. Hone your PvP healing skills and you may just find yourself a hot commodity.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you! Had the same issue as you. Here is what you can do to help. Wait until Midyear Mayhem starts (I think it is double AP just be sure to meet the requirements...scroll or whatever it is. Pelininals??).

You travel to Cyrodil and once there get that scroll (Pelininals or whatever it is called). It's a short quest you pick up from the Crown Store.

Once you port in to Cyro, do that quest (it is right at the beginning so no PVP involved at all). Read the scroll to start double AP then go talk to the NPCs around you with quest arrows on them. One of them is for Siege Weapon training. Don't skip the training! Do exactly what the NPC asks and go do all the Siege Weapon training.

At the Siege Weapon training area once finished another NPC there will give you a quest to go to the Scroll area (my memory isn't good so early in the morning). Complete all those quests as well. You get AP from most of them. Once you get Siege Weapon training done you should be close to level 3 in Support and Assault lines and get a few Skill pts too.

Now you can unlock Rapid Maneuver. Once done with all that go back to the place where you ported in and pick up all the Daily's and talk to the General. Just get all those blue NPC quests arrows picked up.

Now you should be 3.5 or so in Support and Assault since you read Pelininals scroll (double AP). Type "LFG" in zone chat and join whomever is out there. Get to where they are and follow them. Stay alive and next thing you know you will be zooming past level four and in an hour or so you will be level 6. I highly suggest getting to level 6 in Assault and Support (They level equally) because you want to unlock Barrier in the Support line. Extremely useful shield. It's the strongest group shield in the game and if your Healer has it you can save the day in some hard core dungeon fights.

One other way to get your AP high is make sure that character is the only one that gets the AP from the Daily Login rewards when they occur. That too will help you get there.

Of course Battle Grounds will get you there too and once again use Pelininels scroll (sorry for spelling, just can't remember how to spell it.LOL) for double AP.

Good luck!
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tharca wrote: »
    I am a warden PVE healer. A build without warhorn is seemingly not acceptable, but the problem is that i have never set foot in pvp before. (Being a grandmother im not the fastest one)

So I come here for advice. What would be the easiest way for me to get enough AP to get the skill?

I read that battlegrounds is faster than Cyrodiil, but I am hesitant to do this, because i do not want to be the reason for my group to be hampered by me. Dying myself I dont mind since apparantly you even get AP by losing.

You do get alliance points from the daily award. Make sure you collect those on your healer; that is the easy way to avoid PVP and still get the war horn. I got the warhorn on my healer simply by collecting the alliance points from the daily award. It will take some time but it will eventually come.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same! Every meta build seems to have alliance skills and I don't pvp.
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tharca wrote: »

Battle Grounds are definitely more reliable for AP but I usually end up looking for a group to follow in Cyrodiil during peak hours when I want to level for Warhorn or other Alliance Wars skills on my healers. It has the potential to be faster or slower but you can get the end of campaign transmute gem rewards, which are really nice.

Whichever path you take, don't worry about holding back your team - in BGs, the game will try to place you with other people of a similar skill level so you shouldn't really get placed with super competitive players for the most part and you can just have fun trying to learn while you bring out AP. In Cyrodiil, just spam radiating regeneration in a big fight and you'll be doing your part.

Grinding AP on a support sucks but most people know it's necessary and aren't going to mind as long as you are at least trying to help them win.