The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Worst ever grind over the years?

Lumenn
Lumenn
✭✭✭✭✭
Many of us have played other mmos in our past, so farming/grinding is nothing new(mainly EQ for me over a decade.) In your years of playing ESO what's been your worst grind/ farm? Doesn't have to be GRUELING like when vma first came out, can be mind numbingly horrible like my 123 times in VOM for ONE lightning staff that's a NAMED DROP off Grothdar. When was is RNG just owned you like you insulted its mother?
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Getting to VR16... Lol..
    Jewelry crafting has to be my most numbing grind. (Behind VR).. :)
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Many of us have played other mmos in our past, so farming/grinding is nothing new(mainly EQ for me over a decade.) In your years of playing ESO what's been your worst grind/ farm? Doesn't have to be GRUELING like when vma first came out, can be mind numbingly horrible like my 123 times in VOM for ONE lightning staff that's a NAMED DROP off Grothdar. When was is RNG just owned you like you insulted its mother?

Fishing.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Farming Sunspire for the False Gods set. It would. not. drop. for me. 4 out of the 5 pieces I have I got from trading with someone else. I hate that place to begin with, so it was torturous.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's topics like this that show just how much the team has done to remove grind throughout the lifespan of the game. Take that any way you want, but for me it's a huge positive.

VR16 grind on multiple toons reduced to a single grind for account wide progress

Gear trait grind, specifically vMA weapons reduced significantly with transmute.

There are still some bad RNG grinds, but nothing compared to what we had in the past or what you find in other games. Getting to max alliance rank 50 is still quite a long undertaking. Finding some weapons out of dungeons can be frustrating like Burning Spellweave Inferno. Neither of these things bothers me all that much, but I could see it being more annoying to others.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the vMA example; I cleared vMA when it released and after who knows how many runs I finally got my inferno staff over a year later in November 2016. Having all other weapons and achievements I vowed to never go back .. lol
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I found it fitting they'd name that staff "Despair" considering how painful it can be to get one. Took at least 318 runs for it to drop for me, and Rattlecage wasn't even worth it by the end, it was just a matter of principle.

The worst grind for me remains getting PvP rank 50. Just for dye colors... Gotta be the biggest effort/cheapest reward trade-off in the whole game.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting to VR16... Lol..
    Huzzah!

I agree with the vet ranks. Having two leveling systems like that was the dumbest idea I think I have ever seen as it was so oppressive. Granted, Zos did not think long term with CP but at least it is not an oppressive grind each character has to make.

I remember when the game launched and I was almost to vet 10 with my first two characters when Zos increased the vet cap to v12. Again, not something they really thought through since it seemed pretty absurd increasing the level cal after less than 2 months, then again before the year was up. LOL>
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me weird but I miss the VR zones difficulty. Sucked with hardly any other players around though..
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    getting to VR16 on all character slots
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pyshic skill line. Listening to Jar Jar Bink's skull saying the same joke over and over for each level was the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
  • Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, some of the dlc skill lines, and sky shards, annoyed me the most.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »

Yeah, I found it fitting they'd name that staff "Despair" considering how painful it can be to get one. Took at least 318 runs for it to drop for me, and Rattlecage wasn't even worth it by the end, it was just a matter of principle.

The worst grind for me remains getting PvP rank 50. Just for dye colors... Gotta be the biggest effort/cheapest reward trade-off in the whole game.

Wait, that's a rare drop?
    Getting to VR16... Lol..
    Huzzah!

This, so much of this on both counts. Worst part was, there was no V16 content when the level cap was raised. So we had to grind an entire CP on (a much shorter lost of) repeatable content. I think I did it in Cyrodiil with the PvE dailies, but that was brutal.

Next to that was actually getting V16 gear before Thieves Guild dropped. That was also miserable.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Re grinding perfected versions of my vma and vdsa weapons, weapons that I already grinded the perfected versions of in veteran dsa/vma for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Only to have zenimax remove my perfected version of the weapons, turn my veteran dsa/vma weapons into normal ones, and bring the perfected versions back years later to make me grind for them again. That will be the worst grind imo, pretty sick joke huh.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coming from first real MMO being Everquest anyone saying anything in ESO is a grind is sort of lol.

If you never played EQ, you just don't know what a grind really is.

Wow ruined it (but there wasn't really anything to ruin, I guess) with it's success and joke leveling with no punishment for failure.

Early EQ was a grind beyond comprehension with xp loss on death and all your gear on your corpse... which may or may not be easily accessable.

There probably will never be a game as punishing as EQ was again. Everything now is a "pull everything for make loot/xp" and if you die it's a repair bill and nothing more.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did hate that vet rank grind. I think I hate the Psijic line grind even worse though.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting to VR16... Lol..
    Huzzah!

Try getting to VR16 doing PvP only, took me like 4 months
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming from first real MMO being Everquest anyone saying anything in ESO is a grind is sort of lol.

Wow ruined it (but there wasn't really anything to ruin, I guess) with it's success and joke leveling with no punishment for failure.

Early EQ was a grind beyond comprehension with xp loss on death and all your gear on your corpse... which may or may not be easily accessable.

There probably will never be a game as punishing as EQ was again. Everything now is a "pull everything for make loot/xp" and if you die it's a repair bill and nothing more.

I remember when WOW came out and many left for the easy care bear game that was just released. Early EQ can never be recaptured(and honestly probably shouldn't be, but ah...nostalgia) but I saw mentioned psijic quest line. That was a boring chore as well.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grinding in ESO is so different than it usually was in EQ. I played EQ through SoV and the grinding could be brutal, but there was a huge payoff. Rare encounters, items, deep progression, etc.. Grinding could often be skillful. Like those deep solb/lguk/seb runs to grind levels that were one mistake or disconnect from a wipe.

In ESO, I find the grinding lacks any kind of gratification because it's always trivially easy and there's only a very limited sense of progression. There is never a sense that something rare or interesting is being accomplished. It's always just ticking the checkbox.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I remember the grind to get all the pieces for the Vex Thal key. And then the horde after horde of annoying mobs between bosses in there...
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing here compares to the grinding I've done in MMOs over the years. In Rappelz, it took a year to go from 80 to 100, playing every day for a couple of hours a day. The grind for the then level cap of 170 was a multi year project, even from 120.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    moondancer swords and sharpened destro
  • scottii
    scottii
    ✭✭✭
    3 months straight, 6-12 hours a day, 7 days a week until I got my first VMA Lit. Staff which wasn't even sharpened - roughly 1 hour clears. Shortly after getting the staff, Transmute stations were out...
    Praying the Daedric Gods will make Cyrodiil great again.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another good one....
    Crafting Research. at launch.
    I started mine in May 2014, hit 9 traits in June 2015. That last few months was SO long on the Nirn traits!! :)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cadwell's Silver and gold for sure, after that definitely the BSW inferno staff grind.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still need an Ogres Toe Ring to finish that achievement. A lot of Ogres have died in my pursuit of that simple ring.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trove and Cunning Scamp achievement, especially trying to farm enemy spawn points since AD ones are bugged.
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me around 220 runs of fungal grotto 1 to get viper 2h axe. Not a hard grind, but the amount of players I had to carry were just to much.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    VMA bow and resto - 120+ runs and still not had them
    Burning spellweave inferno - a good 50 runs

Not a gear item, but mages guild. I have it on 13 characters. Even on Stam sorc and Stam Templar becuse at one point, meteor was the best ult option. May not be too bad on PC with add-ons, but try doing it on console - looking at your phone and then trying to find it on the map, with a written list of which ones you've got :neutral:
    Edited by Brrrofski on April 30, 2020 7:26AM
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vMA

I started post-CWC so transmute station was available, but still took me 70 runs to get my first Inferno staff.

At a lower-cp this would take me 50mins-1hour each run, solo.

Nothing is more boring than having to grind 50 hours solo, the same content over and over again because of RNG.

At least in dungeons and trials you might have a group, with potentially different members which gives you social interaction and maybe some different gameplay.

I'm just glad they made the perfected weapons useless so I don't need to go back.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Legate rank

I had a neck pain at the end because of sitting :joy: