The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[ Feature Request ] - Barber Shop / Salon (or a hair section at outfit station with ability to dye)

thedavidventer
thedavidventer
✭✭✭
Dear Zenimax,

Please give us an in-game barbershop/salon in all major cities, with the ability to switch between all base character hair styles (all those available during character creation) as well as the ability to change hair colour, for a gold fee.

As for Crown store wigs; these should only be made available as additional options in the barbershop/salon if purchased from the crown store. This way, you still make money from Crown store hairstyles. Once a hairstyle is purchased from the crown store, it'll then become available alongside the base styles along with the ability to change hair colour for a gold fee.

Why is this not a thing? Please make this a thing!

EDIT: I didn’t realize that base hairstyles are on the crown store too. It’s cool that they are all available in a pack. If ZOS can’t give us a barbershop/salon, how about a dye section for the hairstyles from the crown store? Something like that could maybe be integrated into the outfit station with a slot for hairstyle and the ability to dye it.
Edited by thedavidventer on April 29, 2020 7:43PM
David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a thing because you buy hairstyles, including the basic ones, from the Crown Store and equip them from the Collections menu.
    Edited by JamuThatsWho on April 29, 2020 5:01PM
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a thing because you buy hairstyles, including the basic ones, from the Crown Store and equip them from the Collections menu.

Base styles don't appear to be available in the crown store. And there's no way to change hair colour. Hence my request. If base styles are indeed for sale then also only make them available in the barbershop/salon once purchased from the crown store. The idea here is to have a RP-realistic in-game place to go to switch between them and to also change colour.
    Edited by thedavidventer on April 29, 2020 5:12PM
    Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the base styles are available as a pack - one of the best value items in the clown store. This allows you to change hairstyles on the fly for no cost, but it doesn't change your hair colour.

We have been asking for a similar pack of hair colours for years now.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    All the base styles are available as a pack - one of the best value items in the clown store. This allows you to change hairstyles on the fly for no cost, but it doesn't change your hair colour.

We have been asking for a similar pack of hair colours for years now.

I didn’t realize that. It’s cool that they are all available in a pack. If ZOS can’t give us a barbershop/salon, how about a dye section for the hairstyles from the crown store? Something like that could maybe be integrated into the outfit station with a slot for hairstyle and the ability to dye it.
    Edited by thedavidventer on April 29, 2020 5:56PM
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's something I'd hoped for since launch. It would be a nice bit of immersion and be cool to be able to change hair color too. But I guess it's not gonna happen, as the styles cost real money and if you want to change hair colour you can buy an expensive race-change token to do it.
    PC EU & NA
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer not to have to go to a barber's shop in town every single time you want to change style, for some changes it would be completely unrealistic.

I have the base hairstyle pack and my most common use for it is on characters who have long, loose hair by default, switching to a pony tail when they go into a delve or other cave, and then switching back when they come out. I suspect if you went into a barbers shop in real life and asked them to tie your hair back in a ponytail for you they'd laugh at you for even asking, and it would be a pain to have to do it before leaving town. (Especially as I don't always know I'm going to encounter a delve.)

If you're looking for immersion you could enforce it yourself - only change between styles which require a barber when you're in town. You could even pick a building where you think the barber would opperate and go there to do it. Then work your way through gradually longer styles as they grow it back out.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I'd like most is just the ability to zoom in when you're changing a character's hairstyle. It already exists in the Crown Store when you're previewing a character - it'll zoom in so you can see the hair better. But once you have it, you don't get the zoom anymore; you need to equip it and then zoom in manually.

See also adornments, face markings, facial hair, etc.
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Barber shop = No $$$$$
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall being able to make a beardless Nord when I created one character long ago. That seems to be allowed now, but I am not going to pay the character change Crown price to change it.

Where is a shaver when you need it?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came here expecting a thread requesting the ability to change hair color without an expensive character change token. Kind of is but OP didn't know about the packs that allow you change your character's hair, adornments, facial hair, etc. with all the basic things in the game.

Still though, can we also get a cosmetic pack for hair, eye, and skin color changes? Pretty please ZOS?
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Still though, can we also get a cosmetic pack for hair, eye, and skin color changes? Pretty please ZOS?

Why monetize it, instead of making it a feature of the base game like the armor dye station ?
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    I came here expecting a thread requesting the ability to change hair color without an expensive character change token. Kind of is but OP didn't know about the packs that allow you change your character's hair, adornments, facial hair, etc. with all the basic things in the game.

Yes! That would be epic! I edited the OP with my updated knowledge. It would be cool if we could get more stuff for character customization. I want to dye my character’s hair! Ideally, give us the ability to use dye on hair, eyes, etc. Since dye and hair is already for sale on the crown store. Win-win.
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the point of barber if u have hair styles as collectible item?
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    High_Solar wrote: »
    Barber shop = No $$$$$

They could make it unlock-able via the crown store if income is an issue. Maybe as a hairdresser NPC, kinda like the bankers and merchants. and then keep the hairstyles and dye options purchasable on the crown store. There are so many ways to go about this for loss of revenue to not be an issue. I’d still prefer an in-game barbershop or integration with the outfit station though.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Whats the point of barber if u have hair styles as collectible item?

@Browart The ability to also dye hair / change hair color.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TLDR: They can milk people for money, so it's unlikely to change.

Changing your character's look is not a thing in many games without going through the game cash shop in some way (even here to use the Outfit Station you need to be ESO+) because people get invested in their character through time spent playing and assets put in. So they leverage that potential loss by offering a cheaper solution than the time required to restart a toon -- but you typically buy that through the cash shop.

Here you can probably get tokens gifted so you can still buy it without real money. But in the end someone's paying for those crowns with real money.

DCUO is one of the very few games where you can freely redesign your character.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on April 29, 2020 9:53PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High_Solar wrote: »

Why monetize it, instead of making it a feature of the base game like the armor dye station ?

I'd like this more but sadly that ship has sailed when they introduced those packs to the store. :disappointed:
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • shaielzafine
    shaielzafine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sell the feature you request. You can get the token to change appearance or the hairstyles and just change hair anytime. It gets them money so I doubt they would give you the equivalent in game. WoW and FF14 have the barbershop / aesthetician service in the game but it was there to begin with rather than monetized at the store. Ff14 doesn't even have a store when you log in to the game.
    Edited by shaielzafine on April 30, 2020 3:35AM