The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

cpu heat and gpu usage

• MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know eso is very cpu intense - didnt they announce that this should also be optimized and the game utilizing multi-threading / multi cpu better?

Am I the only one that is having this issue: My cpu temp when playing ESO is all over the place - at times it stays at 50-60 degrees, others its 80 degrees without any change in the game...

The funny thing is my gpu goes never above 55 degrees while my cpu is at 75, ESO is the only game ive ever played where my cpu gets hotter than my gpu (and i have water cooling)...

Does anyone have tips how to optimize cpu / gpu utilization and temperature?

Sounds like you haven’t got adequate cooling in your PC

I have the same issue tbh. When I run ESO temp jumps up to 80c on my GPU
    When I take case lid off - back down to 55

A new PC exhaust/intake should sort for me

Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Many MMOs are heavily CPU and RAM dependent, ESO is no different.

View distance in ESO is one of the settings with the most impact on FPS, turn that down to 40-50 and see if it helps.
    Graphically you barely notice the difference when reducing the view distance.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • Ghnami
    Ghnami
    ✭✭✭
    My cpu never sweats with eso, my graphics card has crashed my system 60+ times due to overheating. I pretty much cannot let it get above 45F or it'll keep climbing and shut the system down. Only started after the redownload. Thanks zos.
    Options
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. My gaming laptop has the fans kick into extremely noisy hyperdrive, and ONLY for this game. Nothing else does that, and my wife complains about the noise. Save a marriage, find a fix...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+cooling&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I have just bought one of the trays, and it arrived today. It certainly makes a big difference in reducing heat. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Options
  • Baranovich
    Ruder wrote: »
    Don't play games on laptops with patato cooling, this game can't make my desktop CPU goes higher than 40-42 degrees with 20c ambient temp

Um, no. If your ESO game never gets about 40 C then you either have liquid cooling, or your system is submerged in thermal oil, or both. There is NO WAY this game could stay that cool with just case fans. My PC idles in the mid 30s C. It is NORMAL for games to get into the 60s C or low 70s C. If you don't have additional cooling besides fans, then I don't believe that your ESO runs at 40 C, I simply don't believe it. You would have to be playing outside in Alaska in a snow storm with the case cover removed.

ESO is the ONLY, the ONLY game that makes my system run hot in the 80s C. How can I be playing ten different games that all run at cooler temperatures but only ESO runs hotter? That's a HARDWARE issue? Want to explain the logic in that one?

I have a brand new PC with FIVE case fans, a huge fan on the CPU and two fans on the GPU. There is plenty of airflow and the inside is spotless. So what then, my ESO runs hot because I don't have SEVEN case fans?

I don't mean to be argumentative, but this kind of a response isn't helpful when people are trying to figure out why ESO does this. It's a problem with the way the game is processed when playing.

If you have additional cooling on your system that's awesome. But that doesn't mean that ESO doesn't also have an inherent problem with making PCs run hot.
    Options
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Psst*...April 2020 was last YEAR, not last month....
    PC/NA: getting lost in TESO Tamriel and beyond since Beta 2013!
    Alliance agnostic: all factions should chill the fetch out and party together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baranovich wrote: »
    Ruder wrote: »
    Don't play games on laptops with patato cooling, this game can't make my desktop CPU goes higher than 40-42 degrees with 20c ambient temp

Um, no. If your ESO game never gets about 40 C then you either have liquid cooling, or your system is submerged in thermal oil, or both. There is NO WAY this game could stay that cool with just case fans. My PC idles in the mid 30s C. It is NORMAL for games to get into the 60s C or low 70s C. If you don't have additional cooling besides fans, then I don't believe that your ESO runs at 40 C, I simply don't believe it. You would have to be playing outside in Alaska in a snow storm with the case cover removed.

ESO is the ONLY, the ONLY game that makes my system run hot in the 80s C. How can I be playing ten different games that all run at cooler temperatures but only ESO runs hotter? That's a HARDWARE issue? Want to explain the logic in that one?

I have a brand new PC with FIVE case fans, a huge fan on the CPU and two fans on the GPU. There is plenty of airflow and the inside is spotless. So what then, my ESO runs hot because I don't have SEVEN case fans?

I don't mean to be argumentative, but this kind of a response isn't helpful when people are trying to figure out why ESO does this. It's a problem with the way the game is processed when playing.

If you have additional cooling on your system that's awesome. But that doesn't mean that ESO doesn't also have an inherent problem with making PCs run hot.

We literally just had a thread on why necro posts are not allowed and generally frowned upon. We'll, here's the reason!

Old information, banned or long gone posters being argued with and everyone's time wasted as they sift through to the end only to realize the thread is a dinosaur.

[Edit to remove naming and shaming]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 22, 2021 9:02PM
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

This post is to let you know that we've felt it necessary to put this thread down, as it seemed to have died some time ago. At this time we'd like to try and keep Draugr threads from roaming around the front page, pushing down newer and more lively threads. Feel free to continue this subject in this recent thread instead.

Thank you for understanding!
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.