The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help me nerf my character - armour choices

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Please read the post before commenting. I know this is an unusual request and most people will not be able to help, which is fine, but I'm hoping someone who knows about gear stats and likes theorycrafting (or maybe people who have already done the same thing) will be able to help me work out what I want to make.

I'm one of the people who prefers to play without CP because I spend the vast majority of my time playing open-world PvE and I don't want it to be stupidly easy. But I did make myself a full set of golded out armour and weapons (crafted sets) because having spent all that time levelling up crafting I wanted to use it. Most of the time this works well, but it's a pain if I want to do anything which does require CP (or where I'm in a group and they'll expect me to be using it) because then I have to go through and apply all the points, trying to remember where I need to put them, and then remember to reset it afterwards before doing anything else. (It also costs 3k gold, which isn't a lot, but is annoying to pay just because I did something in a group.)

So now I'm thinking of reversing it: using CP and making deliberately weak weapons and armour to use in the open-world. Then when I want to play in a group all I have to do is switch to my existing gear which will be quicker and easier to undo than applying all the CP.

The only problem is there's a lot of options when creating gear and I'm not sure how to balance it so it's not too strong and mirrors not using CP. I'm planning to experiment on the PTS, but it would be nice if I could narrow down the options beforehand so I don't have to try as many options.

Do you think white CP160 gear would work? With or without set bonuses? Is it worth trying lower levels? Upgrading it from white? Is it worth making myself a spreadsheet to map out all the bonuses you get from CP and from gear so I can subtract one from the other and calculate it exactly? (I'm going to end up doing that aren't I?)
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go for a hybrid build. They're not overly strong, but they are versatile, and can be fun to build and play with. You don't want to weaken yourself TOO much, because soloing world bosses, and the upcoming harrowstorms (dark anchors on steroids) can prove to be an exciting little challenge if you're looking for something more.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm already using hybrid builds, and like I said with good gear and CP the open-world stuff is too easy. I'll be able to swap if for some reason I want to do something like solo a world boss, but I don't want to be at that level all the time or everything else is boring, which is why I'm looking for additional changes to get the balance right.

(Having seen some high CP players do it even soloing bosses could be boring. They just come in, blast a few skills and the boss is dead without any noticable effort, that seems incredibly dull and I'd definitely like to stay away from that.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start with low level or CP 150 gear, its comparatively cheap to craft and if it makes you too weak, then you know to start experimenting with the more expensive CP 160 gear.