Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Crafting on all chars

Petoften
Petoften
✭✭✭
People said that to get better master writs, you need to level all your chars in crafting. Is that true? Is it worth it?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it worth it? Yes. But not because of master writs. Having higher tier crafters doing writs will lead to more gold mats. The master writs are a small bonus.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    Can you clarify the benefit of multiple crafters instead of one top skilled crafter, just more writs?

Not feeling the justification yet. And does multiple crafters improve the quality of master writs for the main crafter?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the master writs you get are unique to each character.

The only benefit of more crafters is getting more master writs because you're doing more. It'll also make you less subject to "RNG" streaks, because you have more characters.

How "good" of a master writ you get is random as well. You can only increase your chance of getting them, but the actual drop you get is random.

To increase master writ drop chances:

Alchemy: Learn all 4 traits of all base game reagents
    Enchanting: Translate all runes
    Provisioning: Learn as many Purple and Gold Recipes as you can
    Jewelry: Research all traits
    BS/WW/Cloth: Research all traits + FULL purple motif knowledge (individual pages don't help, only increases when you learn the entire motif) (ZoS has said the base game racial motifs DO NOT count, nor do crown store exclusives)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is worth it. Writs are lucrative to begin with.

However, do not stress about the motifs. I have one actual crafter for armor and weapons that knows all the motifs. The rest only get what I obtain from playing the game and have to low of a value to be worth my time selling. I think a character needs to know all of one motif for it to count for master writs. Someone like tmbrinks can clarify if partial knowledge of a motif helps. Do not stress about this after you get your main crafter setup.

So, with that, learn all the stones for enchanting and all the materials for alchemy on all characters. Any extra purple recipes you have can be consumed by alts. These are things that help the character get master writs.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I got misinformation about the master writs. I was happy with just one crafter, but his master writs always seemed to be low reward for some reason, though he had a decent amount of the things above.

So that's still a mystery.

I'm a pretty casual player, in that I don't get ESO+ generally and so have mostly stopped crafting except during ESO+ trials.

So leveling my other chars is rather daunting if not needed.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Petoften wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I got misinformation about the master writs. I was happy with just one crafter, but his master writs always seemed to be low reward for some reason, though he had a decent amount of the things above.

So that's still a mystery.

I'm a pretty casual player, in that I don't get ESO+ generally and so have mostly stopped crafting except during ESO+ trials.

So leveling my other chars is rather daunting if not needed.

Most of the master writs I get (~80-90%) are the low value ones too. I see the high ones regularly, but that's because I do the writs on so many characters.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A painful thing with all characters doing crafting (which I do for 10-11 characters per server) is that you have to note status, levels, research needs, etc. outside the game. All that should be integrated.

You can make really decent gold (for me at least) if you do the crafting dailies with everyone, though I get bored with that after a while and I am more focusing on pushing the skillpoints up on each. I just got to 50 in all of them, though I need skillpoints to push up what they can each construct.

I don't see spending motifs on everyone, though I have been passing recipies (food/drink) through all the characters. I stopped doing that for purples, which I try to sell, but I might let them learn that too.

We could really use some more quality of life improvements here, especially adding functionality in PC addons. (I am on the PS4.)

- I want to see a way to search auction houses for things I don't know, rather than having to manually go through all those.
    - I also want to get things that I buy right away so I don't buy it more than once when guild vendor shopping.
    - Having a way to automatically be able to research something another one of my characters knows (consuming the mats and trait mat) rather than having to make a list, swap characters, and then do the research.
    - Tell me when I know the motifs needed for a master writ, instead of making me look it up and mentally keep track of it. (I regularly make mistakes here.)
    - Get progress feedback when crafting something for a master writ, not just the final notice. That would help me avoid wasting upgrade mats only to find I made the wrong item.
    - A way to accept more than one master writ of the same kind. Having to run back and make the next one or go back and forth (hopefully) making the right thing in the right quantities is annoying.

and while we are at it

- A way to gather all the survey writs at a single location without running an uncertain amount away or logging out and back in just to get the nodes to reset.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask this: do blue recipes count for anything? I think I have seen you write that master writ drops are tied to achievements, so do the provisioning achievements (e.g. learn 100 recipes) not count in the way that others do?
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask this: do blue recipes count for anything? I think I have seen you write that master writ drops are tied to achievements, so do the provisioning achievements (e.g. learn 100 recipes) not count in the way that others do?

AFAIK, they do not help. The "purple and gold recipes" is ZoS' word on the matter from when master writs were introduced.

They only mentioned achievements with regards to the other crafts.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »

AFAIK, they do not help. The "purple and gold recipes" is ZoS' word on the matter from when master writs were introduced.

They only mentioned achievements with regards to the other crafts.
    Good to know, thank you!
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More