Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Gear - At what level do you craft a set?

Lixiviant
Lixiviant
✭✭✭✭
I can remember in the early days you might craft a set of gear at Level 30, 40 and VR. With the overland and dungeon sets improving, is that still the case?

Do you craft gear more often, at Level 160 or at all?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NMA seems popular as a 160 set.

The greatest power I find in crafted sets are in under 50.

But even here I go with major buff sets rather than stats, because the stats get increasingly ineffective as leveling.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one for 10 and 30 for leveling in Light/Medium/Heavy. Since most of the time after your first toon you are just power leveling I don't find it advantageous to have more sets than that. Purple out everything with training trait and grey jewelry is fine to be honest. Once you hit 50 you will be CP(n) anyways so you can just swapped needed sets around.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my leveling characters, I craft gear on my main crafter at every 10 levels and weapons at every 5. Any more spaced out and I start feeling rather squishy. Those leveling sets just sit in my bank and get handed around to whichever alt is being used at the moment.
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @VaranisArano @KappaKid83 @kylewwefan ! Makes sense to craft some lower gear and just keep it for other toons you might create. I'm feeling a bit squishy on my newest character (level 40) with just overland/dungeon sets.
  • Yukon2112
    Yukon2112
    ✭✭✭
    for me 6,16,16,36,46. then for my wife's account I think we did 1 set every 40 cp to get it to cp 160.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CP160 is what I craft the majority of the time since it's the gear level cap. But I have a few sets crafted at levels 14/24/34/44 with training trait which I used to level almost all my characters. I crafted them 4 years ago but I use them over and over again.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast has a really nice section on leveling on his website, here is the link, https://alcasthq.com/eso-grind-guide/
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have crafted sets at 16, 26, 36, 46 for levelling, all training trait except for the jewellery. Those levels coincides with the start of the different crafting material tiers.
    PC EU
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    KappaKid83 wrote: »
    Alcast has a really nice section on leveling on his website, here is the link, https://alcasthq.com/eso-grind-guide/

It's funny I usually use Alcast for about everything - didn't realize there was something on leveling.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your leveling in bgs you'll want gear more frequently, at LEAST every 10 levels.

Otherwise what people are saying about 10 & 30 is probably right.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother crafting cp gear below 160. You'll hit cp160 pretty quickly, so there's no need.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft for my chars as soon as they go into pvp, so level 10 or so.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full sets at level 16 and 30 then just weapons at 40.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 5 Piece sets of Shacklebreaker and Innate Axiom at L10, L20, L30, L40. These sets cover both Magic and Stamina. Put the Training Trait on each one. I swap out Glyphs for Magic or Stamina as needed. You could even get by with one of these in a 5 piece.

I fill in whatever other pieces as i go along.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When leveling an alt i make gear at
    Level: 4, 16(backbar weapon only), 20 and 40
    Then if the 160 set i have in mind is not ready i make them a set until then.
  • RedReign
    RedReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    I craft a set of gold gear at level 10 and then coast on that until 50.
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    craft twice born star and torugs pact. Both 5 piece bonuses remain the same as you lvl. Craft gear at lvl 4 and lvl 30.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRCOURTN wrote: »
    craft twice born star and torugs pact. Both 5 piece bonuses remain the same as you lvl. Craft gear at lvl 4 and lvl 30.

Twice born is really hard to craft, takes the most traits learned, but yeah if you can craft the set it helps exponentially leveling with two mundus stones.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my main account, I have jewelry from Torug's and Shacklebreaker crafted at 6, 26 and CP160 with weapons at 6, 16, 26, 36 and CP160. I have body pieces from Julianos, Hunding's and Fortified Brass at 6, 16, 26, 36 and CP160. I have head and shoulder pieces in Whitestrake's and Inate Axiom at 6, 16, 26 and 36.

I also craft at CP10 CP50, CP90 and CP150 for my alt accounts but will decon them once the account is at CP160 and I have better set pieces for those characters.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft armor for my alts for level 10, 20, 30 and 40 plus an extra weapon at level 16 so they get it soon after getting the second bar.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a new character: new blue gear every 10 levels, purple weapons with purple glyphs. Truly comfortable gameplay.
  • Prrasha
    Prrasha
    ✭✭✭
    Mine have been, for whatever reason, crafted at ~12-level intervals: 4, 16, 28, 40, 50+160. Armor weights 5+1+1 to keep all the skill lines leveling.

I have a "magicka" set and a "stamina" set in my house vault boxes to use for any new characters.

I should free up some vault slots and make some stat-agnostic sets (NMA, Coldharbor's Favorite, whatever) for next time...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't craft much for lowbie alts. I've got a lot of decent set pieces in my banks, not full 5 piece for the most part but enough to get some good boosts. I did at one point craft some level 16 and 26 stuff, but kept forgetting to use it, and since no one died, I gave up on it.

The only time I do craft a set for a lowbie is around level 40 if it''s a class that has some problems for my gameplay (NBs, looking at you here). Otherwise, I just craft at 160 and that's it.
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New toon level via quests.

Purple Gear at levels 6 - 26 - 46 - CP10 Blue - CP90 Blue
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lixiviant wrote: »
    I can remember in the early days you might craft a set of gear at Level 30, 40 and VR. With the overland and dungeon sets improving, is that still the case?
    Not really.

Nowadays, you may want to craft some basic starter gear to fill all the slots after leaving the tutorial, and then... well, you can find enough overland sets to keep everything more or less current (at least if you take your time and do all the sidequestings, maybe some dolmen and treasure chest searches as well) enough to get through all the basic questings (since battle-levelling does boost gear to make a level gap mean less, and CP boosts make things comfortable for many...), so you don't really -need- to craft new gear all the time anymore... until and unless you -want- some crafted set, which most people start thinking about when they near those "CP160" gear usability times.

At that time you can think about what the "perfect load" you want for your character, and then either start farming those overland sets, looking in guild stores for them, get to running dungeons a LOT for the dungeon set you want... or go craft something nifty on your crafting alt for all your characters. It all depends which set will get you the effects you wanna have...

Quality, well, don't waste any tempers before you hit the CP160 stage. Just not worth it, get there, then pick your desired set, then make it all purple, then see if it holds what you expected, and if you are happy... work on golding it. Upgrades always start with the weapons, then the clothes, then the trinkets (which you will notice takes ages, its almost like those jeweler mats were precious metals.... oh. OH! ;) ). Not that you really need gold unless you really wanna have a shot at getting on leaderboards or doing good at the PvPness measuring contests... heck, for casual gameplay blue gear with purple weapons will get you through pretty much anything anyhow these days unless you really wanna solo craglorn group dwelves or similar...
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upon achieving vet. I've found it to be a waste of time to craft new sets at intervals. Just dance with what you scavenge off of corpses and roll with it. With all the free XP scrolls now and no content being serious until vet level anyway I just don't see the point.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PvP and have 1200+ CP, so as soon as they got level 50 my toons hit CP cap as well. I never craft anything before then. The way I've leveled my most recent alts is run each zone to get all skyshards, delves, public dungeon and group dungeon. Do a random group dungeon every day while enlightened and using event/scroll XP buff (remember to fill your skill bars with skills you want to level). Doesn't take more than a week and you don't need anything besides dropped gear. If you're farming dolmens or other XP grinds, gear is even more irrelevant. Outside of PvP I can't see why anyone would craft leveling gear.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lvl 16.

At lvl34/35 I have farmed dungeon sets from previous characters (mostly CoH stuff: Ebon, Leviathan, Lich).
    After that a few pieces at level 45 and that's basically it.

I don' t need it to get even easier. ;)

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For alts typically I craft/save basic magic or stamina sets at levels 4, 16, 28 40 and then once I hit 50 (cp160) I start work on whatever sets I plan to outfit for end game. Also I only make the gear blue including weapons and use enchantments from enchanter vendor until I start work on cp 160 gear.
    Edited by dennissomb16_ESO on April 24, 2020 1:23PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BRCOURTN wrote: »

Another good option is Mechanical Acuity. I would probably run that over Torugs because while the 5 pc doesn't change, the enchant it's buffing does get worse as you level.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA