The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vet DLC Dungeons - which ones are really hard?

Raudgrani
Raudgrani
✭✭✭✭✭
Given the state of PVP these days, I've decided to take a leave for at least some while. Haven't done PVE for ages, at least it feels like it.

Conveniently enough, I decided to make an Orc PVE Stamcro during the last event, which I fitted with some random gear. My DPS on a dummy totally sucks, I don't know why I can't make it work, so don't even ask - it's so silly low I'm ashamed. But when s**t is real, I can wreck things pretty well. I have done most vet DLC dungeons up until and including Wrathstone, and a few hardmode ones, spread out on some 3-4 characters - but for the order of things, I thought I should try and get it all on one character, finally. No trials yet on this toon, not even on normal. That's a later project.

I did HM on these from sunday-today (pledges):

Mazzatun
Cradle of Shadows
Bloodroot Forge
Falkreath Hold

I also did vet (non HM) on Icereach (surprisingly easy!), Depths of Malatar and Frostvault the last few days. Frostvault was the by far THE worst of all of these (probably really of anything I've ever done in this game!), mainly due to the lasers on that dwemer pile of junk - we wiped so many times I lost count and just wanted to cry... :-1:

SO! Which are about as easy as these HM ones, and which should I wait with even trying? Have helped people to farm Zaan some several times now, but heard HM is like "impossible" there, is it even worth trying? How's Fang Lair? And more importantly, how's Unhallowed Grave on vet/hm? Only done it on normal so far.

Is there any like semi-official list of hardest/easiest vet/hm dungeons around? Feel it's been a while since I saw a "hardest DLC dungeons" thread, so I thought it would be ok.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say Maarselok, Scalecaller and Moon Hunter Keep are somewhat more difficult then other HMs, since they require more communication and play rather slow. Unhallowed grave is really easy in my opinion and Icereach is a bit of a cluster*** in HM but not really that hard. And Fanglair can be a bit tricky, but you can burst through pretty much everything with enough DPS.
    Edited by FakeFox on April 21, 2020 1:27PM
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I'd say Maarselok, Scalecaller and Moon Hunter Keep are somewhat more difficult then other HMs, since they require more communication and play rather slow. Unhallowed grave is really easy in my opinion and Icereach is a bit of a cluster*** in HM but not really that hard. And Fanglair can be a bit tricky, but you can burst through pretty much everything with enough DPS.

Moon Hunter.. *shivers* I've done that vet on tank, but not hardmode. That's by far the worst dungeon I've done on a tank. Tbf I think I maybe wasn't aware of a lot of the mechanics, and what you can/can't block etc. But there was a lot of very violent werewolves there I remember. :lol:

I think I will try to convince the crew to try Unhallowed Grave next then. Curious about Icereach though, last time there was this "Is this really veteran?". Just wonder what additional stuff HM can bring. Surprisingly easy for a new DLC one on non HM at least. Unhallowed has some hidden boss I need to read up on too. Thanks for input!
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    FakeFox wrote: »

Moon Hunter.. *shivers* I've done that vet on tank, but not hardmode. That's by far the worst dungeon I've done on a tank. Tbf I think I maybe wasn't aware of a lot of the mechanics, and what you can/can't block etc. But there was a lot of very violent werewolves there I remember. :lol:

I think I will try to convince the crew to try Unhallowed Grave next then. Curious about Icereach though, last time there was this "Is this really veteran?". Just wonder what additional stuff HM can bring. Surprisingly easy for a new DLC one on non HM at least. Unhallowed has some hidden boss I need to read up on too. Thanks for input!

Icereach is a complete joke, except for HM in my opinion.It just adds tons of smaller mechanics from the previous bosses that can be really annoying. You have stranglers that need to be killed with the fire that do some insane damage, ghosts that spawn additional adds, skeletons chasing random players and applying some debuff, ice chasing a player and so on. It is mostly a question of good movement and focus I guess.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All HM´s are difficult with the correct PUG.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All HM´s are difficult with the correct PUG.

True indeed!

I did Fanglair vet/hm/nodeath/speedrun this morning, with an amazing random finder group. Tank and three DD's. Fastest run I've eeever done a vet DLC with. Had to make sure it wasn't done on Normal halfway through. Think I'm gonna try and pick them off this way, it has worked so far, maybe I'm just being lucky.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daily report (LOL) failed miserably at HM vet Scalecaller today. Will ask some babysitters to carry me through another run tonight. That hardmode is almost too much, it seriously looks like a theme park of death, holy **** there's a lot going on...

Is there anything but RNG behind those horrible 1/3 area poison blasts btw? They are so fast and the "telegraph" minimal and easy to miss; and keeping a good position to avoid them quickly is way harder on hardmode. :#
    Edited by Raudgrani on April 23, 2020 11:04AM
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk wich one is the hardest but if I ever have to do scalecaller hm again it will be too soon.... Done it eay to many times with rng just being legit mean
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk wich one is the hardest but if I ever have to do scalecaller hm again it will be too soon.... Done it eay to many times with rng just being legit mean

I think it might be one of those instances in the game, where it's not "doable" unless RNG is on your side.

Funny anecdote: First time I ever finished it on veteran - we all died same second Zaan as died, but it still counted as a "win". Her shield spawned by the door, so she was way down there - and as we executed her, the center dragon spews poison and kills all of us just about same second as she dies. :D
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Conveniently enough, I decided to make an Orc PVE Stamcro during the last event, which I fitted with some random gear. My DPS on a dummy totally sucks, I don't know why I can't make it work, so don't even ask - it's so silly low I'm ashamed. But when s**t is real, I can wreck things pretty well.

Which means you are being carried hard.
    Dont queue for vet dlc dungeons unless you can pull at least 30k self buffed on a dummy first.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Conveniently enough, I decided to make an Orc PVE Stamcro during the last event, which I fitted with some random gear. My DPS on a dummy totally sucks, I don't know why I can't make it work, so don't even ask - it's so silly low I'm ashamed. But when s**t is real, I can wreck things pretty well.

Which means you are being carried hard.
    Dont queue for vet dlc dungeons unless you can pull at least 30k self buffed on a dummy first.

I do +40k at the very least (self buffed non trial dummy), so your assumption is not accurate. Regarding queuing for finder, I am usually the one that does the carrying (especially these days, where around 300 cp seems to be most common), thank you. The amount of abysmal monstrosities of players I have encountered there, is probably the same as for anyone else. I'm comparing myself to those doing some 80k DPS. Why would I even want to do hm VET DLC dungeons if I had no chance whatsoever to actually do something constrictive there...?
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol. You said that your dps sucks on dummy. And now you're saying that you pull 40k+ self buffed. That does not suck. No one does 80k self buffed on a regular dummy. Those 80k+ parses are on 21 mil trial dummy with trial buffs.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Lol. You said that your dps sucks on dummy. And now you're saying that you pull 40k+ self buffed. That does not suck. No one does 80k self buffed on a regular dummy. Those 80k+ parses are on 21 mil trial dummy with trial buffs.

"LOL". Yes, I'm doing 41-43 on my Stamcro on a 6m dummy, and just over 45 on my bow/bow StamDk (Relequen, Tzogvin, Maarselok); but the later still feels very powerless under real circumstances, and I'm thus not really using it. I guess it takes time to get it going, and trash mobs are killed by others before I really do get going. It's maybe better for trials, but I don't know as I have never tried it there.

However I found 3 guys I've been playing with for a while now - they wait for me at the enclave every day the same time. We are doing every DLC dungeon hardmode, no death and speedruns etc. where someone miss it. Basically a 3 dd team, and both of the others have at least 20k dps higher than me on all their DD's, self buffed. So I really am behind them, for sure,

So well, you are right in a way in your original statement - I am "carried" now, as I have never found a "team" I can regularly run with, that can actually pull these things off. I don't know if it's me or others that were the problem, but as these wait for me every day I guess I'm a light burden at least.

After all, I am merely on a PVP vacation, but I don't know for how long. I don't know these thing too well.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault was the by far THE worst of all of these (probably really of anything I've ever done in this game!), mainly due to the lasers on that dwemer pile of junk - we wiped so many times I lost count and just wanted to cry... :-1:
    Frostvault/the laser boss is kind of a mini-game, if you get the hang of it, it's not all that hard anymore.
    I farmed FV on vet for gear and after a few times you just run through.

Edited by Eifleber on May 6, 2020 12:59PM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU