The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Non Meta, Meta Killing, StamDK Hybrid Build. For real!

emsuperman24
emsuperman24
✭✭✭
So I did a thing where I not only made a viable Stamdk with a frost staff, but it actually exceeded expectation and is wildly fun to play. Below is the link to the build, I hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXMNlZBYGmM

Build Highlights:
-Huge Burst 8-12k Heavy attacks
-High recovery fully buffed 1500 stamina, 2200 mag, 3200 Health
-Good resists and healing
--Amazing cc potential
-Full off balance combos with skill can hit up to 20k in one go in cp

Build Portion
:15 Quick preview
:45 Gear
2:15 Gear recap
2:35 Food, Mundus, Race, Vampire
3:31 Character sheet buffed with pots
3:40 Skills
4:20 Champion Points
5:45 Alternate skill selection
6:10 Alternate skill overview
6:30 preferred setup

Gameplay portion

Cyrodil cp
7:00- 1vx
9:42- No Cp Battlegrounds
12:13 -1v1 Against every class combo
17:30- Special Sneak Peek

Weirdly effective in both cp and no cp, I can hold my own against anyone and beat even the most unforgiving combos i.e nma/fury/brp dw. It's still in it's early stages as I've only been playing it a little less than 2 weeks, so hopefully room for optimization. For those tired of playing the cookie cutter builds and looking for something a little more unique.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nice. Any chance you can plug it into the uesp editor? I’m trying to figure out what to do with my MagDK (used to be stam/tank) so have all the weapon skill lines leveled and might check it out.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did say some time ago that eso pvp players will go meta even if it is using a staff as a stamClass
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, thanks for sharing. You have a lot of magicka skills with a low magika pool and no points in magica, do you have trouble with magicka sustain or does the MR cover it?
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • emsuperman24
    emsuperman24
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab Here you go mate! Just fyi I don't use the build editor, so this was just to the best of my ability. I can't be sure I did it all correctly, or that numbers would be accurate since so much extra damage comes from things like Molten arnaments, sergeants mail, sunder flame, crushing wall ect... But hope that helps

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=228384

As for @Theignson to answer your question currently I feel like I have plenty magicka sustain for what I need. I'm rarely ever in need of magicka but it can happen especially if I try back to back wall of elements. But in that case it's almost a matter of waiting one second before being able to cast whatever skill I want. I actually would say stamina can be a bigger sustain issue with the amount I like to roll dodge for mitigation and off balance purposes.

However this is far from optimized and maybe some way smarter people here could suggest a better way to spread my stats and recovery to make more efficient use of the build. If this thread continues and there is a genuine interest in this off beat type of play style more than happy to keep experimenting myself and maximizing the builds potential.

Thanks for taking a look guys!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t know DKs well. It’s too bad they aren’t going to change heavy attacks, this would be so OP.

You mentioned in the video you like double dot poisons. How do they work with DKs? Does it trigger the DK stamina passive or is it just from the poisoned status effect?

I’d check to see if you’re procing poisons from both weapons on your front bar. WoEs can proc from glyphs/poisons from your back bar when you’re on your front bar but I’m not sure if poisons have a shared GCD if you put them on both weapons. If they do, might want to try a weapon damage glyph on the ice staff. It will proc whenever someone’s in WoE no matter what bar you’re on. Alternatively you could try a poison glyph hoping for poison procs, it might help with sustain but I don’t know how helpful that would be.

P.S. - never thought of using a maelstrom Ice staff in pvp. Creative!
    Edited by Iskiab on April 19, 2020 7:10PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • emsuperman24
    emsuperman24
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that causes the poisoned status effect triggers the dk passive. I actually used a fire glyph and poison glyph on my dual wield bar for a while. They would proc both burning and poisoned quite often, especially if I landed a hit in wall of elements since my front bar is charged and any dot applied to enemy carries over the trait to the other bar. Thats what I was told anyway and also it did feel like the starus effects proc much more frequently that way. (extra 500 mag for burning 500 stamina for poison)

As much as I enjoyed that play style I found the pressure from the poisons much more beneficial. And even with all this burst still going up against meta stamcros and magsorcs it's not enough to kill them. So I traded 15% crit damage in cp for 15% dot damage and added the poisons. I also took it a step further and tried dawn breaker with it, so a typical combo for a tank stamcro or mag sorc would be, dodge roll, off balance, wall of elements, heavy attack(poisons usually proc since each dual wield counts as separate attack), stun from off balance, dawn breaker into execute. It was noticeably better then my previous combo, but leap is such a cool skill and is more effective against all other classes due to the gap closing nature. This is for cp only in no cp nothing survives this build 1v1.

As far as proccing poisons from staff bar I haven't noticed that they trigger from WOE. Also when they are off cool down as stated earlier it's a high probability that each heavy attack proc the poison since you land two swings instead of the regular one and if you include the whirling blades at the end of the heavy 3 chances to proc poisons in one go.

Also a infused weapon damage glyph would be cool on the staff bar but the charged frost glyph means an 84% chance of immobilizing an enemy every 4 secs that's pretty damn good and helps lands heavy and allows for me to regroup if being pressured.I did a lot of testing with weapon damage and max stamina as well and feel like they are both rather limited in terms of how much damage they add to the heavys. I was disappointed, I thought it would scale better with how much modifiers from the sets and skills I had, but felt for now it was better spreading the resources into mag. I'd like to revisit that because ultimately I would like to add enough burst to even make the tankiest stamcros scared.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As far as proccing poisons from staff bar I haven't noticed that they trigger from WOE. Also when they are off cool down as stated earlier it's a high probability that each heavy attack proc the poison since you land two swings instead of the regular one and if you include the whirling blades at the end of the heavy 3 chances to proc poisons in one go.

WoE should proc your glyph/poison from your back bar on cooldown. It’s a staple of PvE builds for high burning uptime.

If you’re not seeing two poison procs on cooldown then poisons share a GCD even if they’re on both bar. Try poison front plus X back. If weapon damage isn’t cutting it maybe a poison glyph? I’m not sure.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 19, 2020 8:09PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭

Build Highlights:
    -Huge Burst 8-12k Heavy attacks
    -High recovery fully buffed 1500 stamina, 2200 mag, 3200 Health
    -Good resists and healing
    --Amazing cc potential
    -Full off balance combos with skill can hit up to 20k in one go in cp

I enjoyed the vid.

This isn't anti-meta. This is the meta.

This is the problem with eso pvp, the meta is "Do everything well". You have huge burst, good resists/mitigation, great recovery, amazing CC potential and massive burst combos.

That is literally every effective competitive build (granted through one different set and staff weapon tree) :)
    Edited by Nerhesi on April 19, 2020 11:08PM
  • emsuperman24
    emsuperman24
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab Thanks for all the feedback and tips appreciate you taking the time to give your input.

@Nerhesi Glad you enjoyed the vid! Also I see your point about this being meta in the sense that it does everything well and I guess overall that would be the most effective tactic. But in a less global way concerning play style sets, and skills I find this to be very unique and in that way not like the rest of the crowd. A much more play your way spirit not following the herd. Probably if I could go back switch the title up to frost staff/dw dk but then again no one would click the link thinking I'm pulling their chain. Thanks for checking out the vid and for adding your thoughts to the discussion.

Cheers!
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Nerhesi Glad you enjoyed the vid! Also I see your point about this being meta in the sense that it does everything well and I guess overall that would be the most effective tactic. But in a less global way concerning play style sets, and skills I find this to be very unique and in that way not like the rest of the crowd. A much more play your way spirit not following the herd. Probably if I could go back switch the title up to frost staff/dw dk but then again no one would click the link thinking I'm pulling their chain. Thanks for checking out the vid and for adding your thoughts to the discussion.

Cheers!

Keep it up - yeah, you definitely had a different way of getting there. Classy :)

• imnottrolling
    imnottrolling
    ✭✭
    my eyes
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice vid and interesting build! That's the beauty of non-meta builds, others don't understand wtf is going on and get wrecked :D
  • emsuperman24
    emsuperman24
    ✭✭✭
    @martindaniels Thanks brother! Yea, it really gets people off guard especially if your running in a group immobilize with frost staff and half health gone in one hit. Been trying to upgrade it in cp pvp. It's beyond competitive and you can fight all the top guys and kill stamcros 1v1 with it but it's ceiling gets hit faster as a lot more mitigation and turtling happen at that level. In no cp this thing is a freak show. Battlegrounds are a lot of fun

Shameless plug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcbht2BjRCM&feature=youtu.be

Nothing too crazy but just so people can see how it plays. Working on another off meta build video and then will bring some more gameplay footage of this frost staff/dw dk!

Also anyone with any suggestions on how to improve the build primarily in CP would love to theory craft.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI on PTS sunderflame does not proc twice from DW HA anymore.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Kinetiks
    Kinetiks
    ✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »
    FYI on PTS sunderflame does not proc twice from DW HA anymore.

Damn is this intended?
  • emsuperman24
    emsuperman24
    ✭✭✭
    @Aznox That's totally a shame if intended and makes it to live. In no way is the set overpowered or over performing. I can't even think of anyone outside this build that uses it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I have made a thread in the PTS section hopefully getting an answer from the devs, but with it being so unknown I doubt we will hear back.