Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People with custom outfits... How do you make it look good?

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree with the "start with the chest you want to use" thing. After that, it's just trying lots and lots and lots and lots of other parts, to see what fits with it. Even ones I don't own, in case it's something reasonably obtainable.

Ditto with colors - have to just keep trying different ones you have unlocked, due to how different outfit materials color oddly.

(so, tl;dr - lots of trial and error. :D The good thing is that it doesn't cost anything until you actually commit to it.)
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ESO fashion website helps to inspire me to collect certain styles.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/

Glad this topic reminded me about it as I haven't seen the main page in a while. And I already see some cool character there.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    RogueShark wrote: »
    Like Septimus_Magna said, I think starting with the chest or a particular piece you really like works the best. Chest is a good one to start with, but I've designed an outfit entirely around a helm before too. Find a piece you really like and want to use, then just go through the options in the outfit station and see what looks good. Being able to preview motifs even when you don't have them yet is a nice feature and can help you know if you like how it dyes/etc before even buying it.
    Yikes, I looked through all the light chests and didnt really love anything. And i think its a bit offputting to put medium or heavy on a magicka toon
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some styles where the medium and even sometimes the heavy don't really look "medium" or "heavy". So don't exclude your options just because of the listed weight. Also, don't forget to check the "special" category at the very bottom that will have things like the 4 companion chest pieces (Sai's is pretty nice)
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

That looks amazing! What is that helmet? @Elwendryll

@Nyladreas
    Hat costume, Nightmare Daemon Mask, Khajiiti
    Edited by Elwendryll on April 17, 2020 5:16PM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • ultraturk
    ultraturk
    I find it best to start with the chest and head piece to make sure you LIKE them and they blend well together.

Then I like to match it with other pieces that blends in well with those.

Tie it all together by using dyes, preferably 2-3 colors on all pieces.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A small tip: stick to either newer styles or older styles if you want the dyes to stay consistent. Sometime around Morrowind, ZOS switched to using shinier dye maps, so the newer motifs no longer match up well with older motifs when you try to dye the cloth and metal.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    I tend not to mix and match actual armour and armour motifs; I generally just mix and match actual outfits and styles from style pages.

Are you being saucy?

Pie King wears a Dwarf-style mage's hat, the wedding suit, and has his DW weapons in the Cadwell style so he always has a fork and spoon on him at all times. No armour; no motif pages.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mix wrote: »
    Experiment!

I also love to hit the random styles button just to see what goofy combos it comes up with

I'll be darned, I do that with colors to get ideas; didn't realize you could also do that with styles.....oh back to the station for me!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imo for me personally the trick usually is

combining different armor weights from the same style and if i mix different styles, i usually keep 1 style and only add 1 or 2 pieces from other styles...or use some more base armor styles

if you mix too many too crazy high lvl styles the whole concept usually looks too "busy"

To extend on this, I find that I can usually mix 2 or 3 styles to great effect. Beyond that it's risky, but not undo-able. Eg. where motifs are of a similar style (like many of the Elsweyr ones) you can more freely mix things stuff.

Specifically....

Pick a chest piece you like. Match legs to that, if necessary, i.e. not using robes.

Then head piece.

Then shoulders and gloves. Often using shoulders and gloves from the same style as the head piece is the easiest way to match.

Belt and boots last.

Colour wise, take a look at this.

https://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-picker/

You don't need to actually use that tool to make an outfit which looks good but understanding those very basic rules of colour mixing and matching can help a lot when you start dying things.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I focus on character and story, so outfit design is mainly an extension of that. If you start with a solid character concept, what their personal style would be flows fairly naturally from there. Some general guidelines/rules that flow from that for me:
    • Color Schemes. Motifs lend themselves to three part color schemes, but I typically conceptualize things with two primary colors and then a third to be used sparingly as an accent. From there, I look at what color scheme best complements the character. My artificer for example uses mostly earthy tones, but especially brass/bronze or the color of dwemer metals.
    • Racial Themes. I usually ground an outfit design in the racial styles available for that character's race (though not always) because it expresses something of who they are very well. My artificer is an Imperial for instance, so for one of his outfits I've used Order of the Hour chests.
    • Motif Limitations. Motif design stopped being well-standardized quite a few years ago. They don't all take dyes the same way anymore, and often have un-dyeable areas. This creates some significant limitations on what motifs can be used together. Sometimes this can be worked around.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now. Colour. My advice. Don't go too bold. While I have no objection to people making their character look like a clown, make no mistake. I am thinking that you look like a clown if the outfit is rather... Gaudy.

Weeps in Jester